Glove Size Opinion

davey_d

Hello Everyone.

I'm new to softball and making the switch to slow pitch now that my baseball days are behind me and I was wondering if I could ask your opinion on purchasing a new glove. I play mostly infield (3rd and 2nd specifically) but I'd also like a glove I could use in the outfield if need be.

I was looking at the 12" pro206 arenado glove. Its a size I would be comfortable with but I'm worried it would be too small for the outfield. I know its the player not the glove but I'm curious if someone with more experience than I would strongly advice against it.

Would I be better equipped with a 12.5-12.75? These are some others I was looking at.
  • 12.5" Wilson a2000 KP92
  • 12.75" 1799,
  • 12.75" Rawlings HOH 3039
  • Nokona Walnut w-1275m.
Are any of these patterns preferable? Or could I get by fine with the Nado?

Any advice y'all have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Mpalm18

I’ve got the Nado and feel like it’s too small for a 12” ball personally. I use a HOH 3030 13” in the outfield and an SP125 12.5” for the infield and that setup has suited me very well. I’ve been teetering on wanting to pull the trigger on a custom HOH 208 12.5” but haven’t yet. Overall I think a 12.5 is perfect for infield work on a 12” ball

ShortYellowBus

The Nado is perfect for 3rd and 2nd.

The NP7 is more perfect for an utility glove that can manage an emergency stint in the outfield.

See for yourself.

D2FFE080-CB8B-40CA-AE1F-C9D0A06DA212.jpeg4B3D8413-604D-4F2A-99C1-06C326D4C976.jpeg

BBiskis

As a member @milocoman can get you some really great prices on the softballfans store. I picked up the PROBH34HT (13")to use in the outfield, would use it at 3rd if I didn't already have a glove for there. Absolutely beautiful glove. 12.5" Is also available and I would feel great about using it in the OF.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Last edited:

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I've never had a teammate say they missed a play because their glove was too big, but I've seen it because the glove was too small. Our shortstop for the last couple of years started playing with us with a 11.75" glove. Sure, he was 10 years out of high school ball, but his muffed more than his share. Part of this is softball fields are typically not as smooth as baseball fields. Also, in Texas, the clay can be pretty hard or soft like a beach depending on the weather. All that means bad bounces seem to be the norm rather than the exception. He switched to a 12.75" glove (Pro303 style, I think it was an Akadema) and his error rate dropped considerably. Another great SS I played with used a NP6, but two others used 12.75" and a 13" gloves. Never saw transfer speed as an issue.

How do you close your glove? Thumb to pinkie or thumb to middle finger or somewhere in between?
ProNP7 likes thumb to middle finger.
Pro504 likes thumb to middle/ring finger
Pro208 (if you can even find one) likes thumb to ring finger
Pro303 can do thumb to pinkie. (1799 is similar).

I think the KP92 is too narrow for softball, but that's just me.
The Nokona 1275m has a mod trap, that makes it play narrower and shallower than an H-web. Better for infield, not as great for outfield (IMO).

Last edited:

davey_d

I've never had a teammate say they missed a play because their glove was too big, but I've seen it because the glove was too small. Our shortstop for the last couple of years started playing with us with a 11.75" glove. Sure, he was 10 years out of high school ball, but his muffed more than his share. Part of this is softball fields are typically not as smooth as baseball fields. Also, in Texas, the clay can be pretty hard or soft like a beach depending on the weather. All that means bad bounces seem to be the norm rather than the exception. He switched to a 12.75" glove (Pro303 style, I think it was an Akadema) and his error rate dropped considerably. Another great SS I played with used a NP6, but two others used 12.75" and a 13" gloves. Never saw transfer speed as an issue.

How do you close your glove? Thumb to pinkie or thumb to middle finger or somewhere in between?
ProNP7 likes thumb to middle finger.
Pro504 likes thumb to middle/ring finger
Pro208 (if you can even find one) likes thumb to ring finger
Pro303 can do thumb to pinkie. (1799 is similar).

I think the KP92 is too narrow for softball, but that's just me.
The Nokona 1275m has a mod trap, that makes it play narrower and shallower than an H-web. Better for infield, not as great for outfield (IMO).

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm solely looking at 12.25 and 12.5 now. I close the glove somewhere in between.

I think the NP7 or 504 could be great. Does either have a deeper pocket? I'm also looking at the KB17 do you know how that would compare?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the advice! I think I'm solely looking at 12.25 and 12.5 now. I close the glove somewhere in between.

I think the NP7 or 504 could be great. Does either have a deeper pocket? I'm also looking at the KB17 do you know how that would compare?
The ProKB17 is a Pro207 (12.25" Pro200 pattern). The NP7 will be a bit longer than the KB17 (yes, they are both 12.25", but patterns don't always conform to the stamping). The NP7 will close a bit more thumb to middle finger, the KB17 more thumb to ring finger, and the 504 in between. The NP and KB will have similar size pockets (both designed for baseball infield) while the 504 is the bigger/wider glove of the three. The 504 was designed to be a more utility infield/outfield glove (though the only MLB players I have seen with one have been pitchers).

If you like to wear a glove TIP (fingers shifted two in pinkie slot), the KB is probably best suited for that (IMO), but you can force any of them to break in that way if you try hard enough. Only the 303 (and 1799) mentioned above were designed for that.

Party mafia

Thanks! Would you take the Horween of the pro preferred leather?
Horween hoh retail at $260, pp retail at $360. If both the horween hoh and pp are the same price, I would go with pp. But that is me. Different players have different preferences on their leather gloves.

davey_d

The ProKB17 is a Pro207 (12.25" Pro200 pattern). The NP7 will be a bit longer than the KB17 (yes, they are both 12.25", but patterns don't always conform to the stamping). The NP7 will close a bit more thumb to middle finger, the KB17 more thumb to ring finger, and the 504 in between. The NP and KB will have similar size pockets (both designed for baseball infield) while the 504 is the bigger/wider glove of the three. The 504 was designed to be a more utility infield/outfield glove (though the only MLB players I have seen with one have been pitchers).

If you like to wear a glove TIP (fingers shifted two in pinkie slot), the KB is probably best suited for that (IMO), but you can force any of them to break in that way if you try hard enough. Only the 303 (and 1799) mentioned above were designed for that.

You’ve been such a help I really appreciate it! You don’t think the 504 would be too big for middle infield right?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
You’ve been such a help I really appreciate it! You don’t think the 504 would be too big for middle infield right?
It's a common goto for infield, but YMMV. I will say the all Horween one is the best put together glove I have ever seen. The padding, the wool shearling, etc. are all as good as it gets. That being said, Horween is on the heavy side. I'm gonna guess the KB17 in black or camel will weigh in at 22oz, the NP7 at 23.5oz and the 504 at 25oz. If you wear an XL batting glove, then I think the 504 will be fine. If you wear an M or L batting glove, I think I'd go with one of the others if you worry about the 504 being too bulky.

Jomatty

Starting Player
I know a lot of people love 12 inch gloves but in my opinion there is never a reason to go smaller than 12.5 or 12.75. When you look at te reasons most people prefer a smaller glove for baseball infield they just don’t apply when using a 12 inch ball. Percentage wise it will fill up a 13 inch glove more than a baseball will fill up a 11.5” glove so transfers and such are plenty fast. Get a Wilson 1799 or a Rawlings 303 and you will be comforatable anywhere on the field.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I know a lot of people love 12 inch gloves but in my opinion there is never a reason to go smaller than 12.5 or 12.75.

12” gloves have been the sweet spot size here at our house for the last 6+ years, at any given time there was always 5, 6, or 7 of them here. Admittedly if I were playing now, my NP6 (which is a BIG 12” glove) would be the minimum size I’d probably use.

I personally wouldn’t use a 1799 or 303 to play infield, and I completely understand your percentage comment!

For me, for the left side of the infield I’d feel comfortable with a NP7, RV23, 207, 208, or 504. I’d still use my Pro1000, NP5, or NP6 to play 2B.

MaverickAH

Hello Everyone.

I'm new to softball and making the switch to slow pitch now that my baseball days are behind me and I was wondering if I could ask your opinion on purchasing a new glove. I play mostly infield (3rd and 2nd specifically) but I'd also like a glove I could use in the outfield if need be.

I was looking at the 12" pro206 arenado glove. Its a size I would be comfortable with but I'm worried it would be too small for the outfield. I know its the player not the glove but I'm curious if someone with more experience than I would strongly advice against it.

Would I be better equipped with a 12.5-12.75? These are some others I was looking at.
  • 12.5" Wilson a2000 KP92
  • 12.75" 1799,
  • 12.75" Rawlings HOH 3039
  • Nokona Walnut w-1275m.
Are any of these patterns preferable? Or could I get by fine with the Nado?

Any advice y'all have would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

I'm a bit late to this convo since I really haven't been on the board for a couple of weeks or so.

There are so many variables that can go into the decision to select a particular glove or not that I wouldn't dare make a specific recommendation without know more about your preferences. What are you currently using now might play an important role in any recommendation.

What I will say in generality is that IF you want to go with a 12" glove to serve as a utility model, look at gloves designed for a baseball pitcher. They tend to play with a deeper, wider pocket & transfer well to softball. I'd have to see you play to ascertain your level of skill & ability to before saying anything more. Now since that's not a possibility, my stock suggestion would be that if you truly want a 2-way glove, start with 12.5" as a minimum size. It's much more of a safe choice for all over the field.

Jomatty

Starting Player
12” gloves have been the sweet spot size here at our house for the last 6+ years, at any given time there was always 5, 6, or 7 of them here. Admittedly if I were playing now, my NP6 (which is a BIG 12” glove) would be the minimum size I’d probably use.

I personally wouldn’t use a 1799 or 303 to play infield, and I completely understand your percentage comment!

For me, for the left side of the infield I’d feel comfortable with a NP7, RV23, 207, 208, or 504. I’d still use my Pro1000, NP5, or NP6 to play 2B.
What do you find you have a hard time doing with a 12.75 inch glove in the infield in softball? Is it just an overall comfort thing or is it a transfer thing? I have a personal theory that almost all great fielders using a smaller glove in softball would be even better fielders if they let themselves use a larger glove. The great thing about this theory is that it’s just a matter of opinion so no one can prove me wrong (not like anyone is going to play multiple seasons with multiple glove sizes and crunch the fielding percentages and range etc). When I see the best super major guys playing it seems like they all have butterfly nets on their hands. I just feel like in softball you need that margin for error. Often times you don’t have an opportunity to charge for a short hop or drop step for a long hop, or any of the things you can do on a larger baseball field. Someone hits a rocket at you and you get the hop you get and do the best you can...
Anyhow, I love debating this sort of thing, and another factor that I wouldn’t poo poo is that it’s more fun for a lot of people to use a smaller glove. If I’m going to play catch I often grab a smaller glove. I just enjoy them more. For someone playing at the rec level that is a plenty good reason to use one size over another. But I still believe that most fielders, even really good, defensively minded glove ho’s, would be better served with a larger glove.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
What do you find you have a hard time doing with a 12.75 inch glove in the infield in softball? Is it just an overall comfort thing or is it a transfer thing? I have a personal theory that almost all great fielders using a smaller glove in softball would be even better fielders if they let themselves use a larger glove. The great thing about this theory is that it’s just a matter of opinion so no one can prove me wrong (not like anyone is going to play multiple seasons with multiple glove sizes and crunch the fielding percentages and range etc). When I see the best super major guys playing it seems like they all have butterfly nets on their hands. I just feel like in softball you need that margin for error. Often times you don’t have an opportunity to charge for a short hop or drop step for a long hop, or any of the things you can do on a larger baseball field. Someone hits a rocket at you and you get the hop you get and do the best you can...
Anyhow, I love debating this sort of thing, and another factor that I wouldn’t poo poo is that it’s more fun for a lot of people to use a smaller glove. If I’m going to play catch I often grab a smaller glove. I just enjoy them more. For someone playing at the rec level that is a plenty good reason to use one size over another. But I still believe that most fielders, even really good, defensively minded glove ho’s, would be better served with a larger glove.

If I could still get away with using a smaller glove (damn eyes!), I'd still go with a 303 or a 302 over a 504 for the infield. And I just came to this because I recently had a 303 and a 504 (both full Horween) in for relacing at the same time. The 504 is a bit shorter and wider than a 303 with a bigger pocket. The 504 actually weighed a bit more and felt a little looser on my hand (but I don't have big meaty hands). Also, the 303 is better suited to TIP, which I have adopted on my current glove. So I'd take the 303 for the fit and the fact that the ball wouldn't be as able to rattle around in the pocket as much. Yeah, the 504 looks 1/4" wider and the 303 looks 1/4" longer, but I cannot imagine the difference would affect play much at all.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran

Sorry so long to get back to you matty. I've only ever owned 3 of what (I'd) call large gloves.......a Pro303-CTB that I shipped to Rous to re-lace in tan, absolutely gorgeous glove that I gifted away, a Horween 504 that I just recently traded away, and my awesome old A2000 XLO. My XLO is a Japanese model, I've seen them listed from 12" all the way to 13", and it's neither. Both my 12" Pro12TC and my custom 12" NP6 are longer than that XLO, but the XLO is super wide!! I'd guess it's around 12.25"?

My XLO was my gamer for years until I found this place and money started flying out of my wallet! Remember with my situation, I've strictly been around fastpitch for the last 8 years, haven't played men's SP for 10 years. I played SS for every team I ever played for......church, industrial, and weekend open league, had I played 3B I probably would have moved up a size over the XLO? I sorta miss not having that 504 around, but I felt it was never going to get used, traded it for a 11.75" NP5 which I've probably already used 10 or 12 times.

It's just personal preference for me Jomatty, I just feel more comfortable with a 12" / 12.25" glove, but I definitely understand what you and Rous are saying!

**Side note on that Pro303 trap glove Rous re-laced, if it would had have gray split welting I would have never turned it loose! For someone who doesn't have huge hands that glove fit me perfectly. Rous changing it to tan lace was part of the reason I ordered my custom NP6 in that color combination, that 303 was just striking to look at! I gifted that glove to the left fielder on the varsity baseball team at Anna's school, that kid and his family go to our church, awesome kid and awesome family! It stung for about 20 minutes but the first time I got to see him make a diving play in a game and him smiling walking back to the dugout looking at me and pointing to his new glove made it all worth while!!
thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:

MaverickAH

Sorry so long to get back to you matty. I've only ever owned 3 of what (I'd) call large gloves.......a Pro303-CTB that I shipped to Rous to re-lace in tan, absolutely gorgeous glove that I gifted away, a Horween 504 that I just recently traded away, and my awesome old A2000 XLO. My XLO is a Japanese model, I've seen them listed from 12" all the way to 13", and it's neither. Both my 12" Pro12TC and my custom 12" NP6 are longer than that XLO, but the XLO is super wide!! I'd guess it's around 12.25"?

My XLO was my gamer for years until I found this place and money started flying out of my wallet! Remember with my situation, I've strictly been around fastpitch for the last 8 years, haven't played men's SP for 10 years. I played SS for every team I ever played for......church, industrial, and weekend open league, had I played 3B I probably would have moved up a size over the XLO? I sorta miss not having that 504 around, but I felt it was never going to get used, traded it for a 11.75" NP5 which I've probably already used 10 or 12 times.

It's just personal preference for me Jomatty, I just feel more comfortable with a 12" / 12.25" glove, but I definitely understand what you and Rous are saying!

**Side note on that Pro303 trap glove Rous re-laced, if it would had have gray split welting I would have never turned it loose! For someone who doesn't have huge hands that glove fit me perfectly. Rous changing it to tan lace was part of the reason I ordered my custom NP6 in that color combination, that 303 was just striking to look at! I gifted that glove to the left fielder on the varsity baseball team at Anna's school, that kid and his family go to our church, awesome kid and awesome family! It stung for about 20 minutes but the first time I got to see him make a diving play in a game and him smiling walking back to the dugout looking at me and pointing to his new glove made it all worth while!!
View attachment 62833

You & I are sort of kindred spirits when it comes to glove size. I think that we'd all agree that a glove is the most personalized piece of equipment we use. I may question what someone chooses to use but you can never completely knock it if it's something they're comfortable with & effective using. For me, that's the bottom line.

This is a very subjective topic with no right answer. I will say that when it comes to slow pitch softball, nothing frustrates me more than when I see baseball position mentality when it comes to gloves get transferred to this game. It really isn't applicable when you consider the nature of the game.
  1. Runners are anchored to the base until the ball reaches the plate or is hit.
  2. Balls, on average, are usually struck with more force & speed.
  3. The ball is roughly 33% larger than a baseball.
So logic says use a larger glove. The nature of the pitch says that you're going to have to deal with balls being hit hard with more consistency. This becomes even more true the higher in level you play. Skilled hitters will almost never hit a ball directly at you. It really is an accident when they do. A larger glove should give you more room for error.

Now if we could stop there, everything would be wonderful! Unfortunately other factors also have to be considered such as:
  • Individual skill & ability
  • Comfort level
  • Field conditions
All of these should be considered on an individual basis.

Now other variations (modified or fastpitch) of the game translate better from baseball when it comes to glove size relative to position.
  • Runners being able to leave at the release.
  • Less hard struck balls (If you have good pitching...….)
  • A greater necessity for quick transfers with the shorter base distances.
I've played all variations of the game & glove size for an infielder can be more critical in modified or fastpitch.

Again...…. If we're talking about one glove for a two-way player in slow pitch, go 12.5" or bigger. Better yet, go with 2 gloves. One for IF & one for OF.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
You & I are sort of kindred spirits when it comes to glove size. I think that we'd all agree that a glove is the most personalized piece of equipment we use. I may question what someone chooses to use but you can never completely knock it if it's something they're comfortable with & effective using. For me, that's the bottom line.

This is a very subjective topic with no right answer. I will say that when it comes to slow pitch softball, nothing frustrates me more than when I see baseball position mentality when it comes to gloves get transferred to this game. It really isn't applicable when you consider the nature of the game.
  1. Runners are anchored to the base until the ball reaches the plate or is hit.
  2. Balls, on average, are usually struck with more force & speed.
  3. The ball is roughly 33% larger than a baseball.
So logic says use a larger glove. The nature of the pitch says that you're going to have to deal with balls being hit hard with more consistency. This becomes even more true the higher in level you play. Skilled hitters will almost never hit a ball directly at you. It really is an accident when they do. A larger glove should give you more room for error.

Now if we could stop there, everything would be wonderful! Unfortunately other factors also have to be considered such as:
  • Individual skill & ability
  • Comfort level
  • Field conditions
All of these should be considered on an individual basis.

Now other variations (modified or fastpitch) of the game translate better from baseball when it comes to glove size relative to position.
  • Runners being able to leave at the release.
  • Less hard struck balls (If you have good pitching...….)
  • A greater necessity for quick transfers with the shorter base distances.
I've played all variations of the game & glove size for an infielder can be more critical in modified or fastpitch.

Again...…. If we're talking about one glove for a two-way player in slow pitch, go 12.5" or bigger. Better yet, go with 2 gloves. One for IF & one for OF.
Great post Maverick!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans

View attachment 62833

I'm still really proud of how I eliminated about 5 knots for the relace. Such a great pattern, just needs fewer knots!

Flatz5

Hey guys I am looking for an infield softball glove for my girlfriend. Would the Rawlings HOH R2G 11.5 inch baseball glove work fine? People are suggesting I go with that over a regular softball glove.