Glove sizes for baseball & softball

bajones2

Hey all, I am looking into getting a custom A2000 soon and I'd like to get one glove to serve as both an OF glove in baseball and an IF glove in softball. I generally play SS in softball and corner OF in baseball. I'm looking at potentially getting a 12.25 or a 12.5 glove. I wear my glove TIP so I usually get a little extra extension with my glove wearing it that way. Just curious if any one else possibly plays both hard and softball and uses a 12.25 glove in the OF for baseball? I've almost always used a 12.5 or 12.75 but feel like I could get away with using a 12.25 to serve both purposes. Thanks in advance for any advice/input.

bajones2

Sp125 was designed to be that kind of glove, or the 1799 which is a 12.75 but plays well for softball infield
Yeah when I started playing around on the builder, I was drawn to the SP125. Also kind of why I was looking at the 12.25 TDFTHR as well. I wish I could get a custom with a single post web like the EL3 but looks like that's only available on the 11.75 models.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
A7D64174-1862-4363-A887-22D21DDE2384.jpeg I had the tf21 which was the glove of the month before the Todd father, it is a 1781 infield glove with and H web, I did tip and got wide, but I don’t think i could game it as an of glove, maybe a Rawlings 208 with a single post, also Davis relacing did a custom single post web on a sp125 looks fantastic

Last edited:

bajones2

View attachment 55629 I had the tf21 which was the glove of the month before the Todd father, it is a 1781 infield glove with and H web, I did tip and got wide, but I don’t think i could game it as an of glove, maybe a Rawlings 208 with a single post, also Davis relacing did a custom single post web on a sp125 looks fantastic
wow that is a beautiful piece!

MaverickAH

Yeah when I started playing around on the builder, I was drawn to the SP125. Also kind of why I was looking at the 12.25 TDFTHR as well. I wish I could get a custom with a single post web like the EL3 but looks like that's only available on the 11.75 models.

Check my thread with part of my glove collection. I've got a couple of vintage A2000 XLO's in there that are in very good shape! If either of them interest you, lmk. You'd be saving yourself a bunch of money as well!

forums.softballfans.com/threads/these-are-a-few-of-my-favorite-things.1455592/

Outside of that, I'd steer you away from Wilson & towards Glovesmith. You could get a stock Glovesmith American Elite Series 1250 AE1 for $209.99 that's as good as any A2000. If you still want to go the custom route, you could get a Glovesmith Custom Made in the USA for $309.99 in Dura-tanned leather that will outclass just about anything else.

Last edited:

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Just know ahead of time that once you use a glove for softball and break it in, the pocket is going to be softball-sized. A baseball is gonna rattle around in there.

bajones2

Just know ahead of time that once you use a glove for softball and break it in, the pocket is going to be softball-sized. A baseball is gonna rattle around in there.
Touche, that's what sucks about playing every position known to man lol. Even though I'm a lefty, I'm a jack of all trades and literally can play all 9 positions in a game, although I must say 2B has probably given me the most trouble lol.

lakeyale13

Manager
How many of you all play softball with a glove under 13"? I feel like I would be giving up an advantage by going below that size.

Country469

you would be. For every double play that maybe comes down to .0005 seconds of transfer, there will be 6 other times the ball squirts out of your small ass glove. Bigger is better in softball.

If the baseball: glove ratio was the same for softball we'd use GIANT gloves.

How many of you all play softball with a glove under 13"? I feel like I would be giving up an advantage by going below that size.
I use a KB17 which is 12.25" when I play IF/Pitch. I can't think of a time where it hasn't been enough glove for me. I play 1st with a 13" mitt though, couldn't use something smaller for that.

ShortYellowBus

I use an Np7 and 1787 for middle infield. I try to go bigger when I pitch, so TJ-1952. First base I try to use the biggest glove I can find, so a GW 13.25”.

Outfield is 1799 or a 12.75” Small Batch.

jkwoody22

League ball huer
I like 12.75 to 13” pro 303 and 1799, playing first and outfield/catcher, I’ve tried 14” gloves and just don’t like them too long and the ball tends to squirt out the end at first on some throws, i prefer a wider deep pocket than the extra length:)

dunkky

Currently gaming this, Easton Pro EPG81WT

I like it, quality is very good. wish it was a bit lighter when i play OF. Still breaking in.

Redsfan

I have a new Rawlings 14 incher that I use for everything. I tried a 13 inch Mizuno. It's a super nice glove but just felt too small to me. Back in the day(1989 to 2001) I had a Rawlings 14 inch RG Pro something or other. Loved that glove and still have it. Just wore out.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
SP125 or KP92 (according to your described usage).

But if you really want a single post (single bar not double) in that size, get a custom NP7-1 or NP7-13 or NP7-19 or NP7-20 (all single post variations). Thank me later.

ShortYellowBus

SP125 or KP92 (according to your described usage).

But if you really want a single post (single bar not double) in that size, get a custom NP7-1 or NP7-13 or NP7-19 or NP7-20 (all single post variations). Thank me later.
I just started working on a new sp125 and it’ll eventually replace all the gloves I’m currently using.

Even tony would like it.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
If the baseball: glove ratio was the same for softball we'd use GIANT gloves.

An experienced player gave me some advice when I was just starting to play and I still follow it; take what you'd use in baseball and just add an inch. You end up with 12"-12.75" for middle infield, 12.75"-13" for 3b, 13"-14" for 1b and OF. If I played some serious competition I'd go up a bit from that but the +1" rule has always worked for me.