Glove Suggestions for 12U

jplum13

Eat the food Tina!
Looking for a lot of info here...sorry up front....I have a group of 08's, first year 12U. Dedicated group that has been together for 3 years. Almost every single player is ready for a new glove. We have a few girls that are fairly limited position wise, but several will be splitting time in IF and OF. I'd like to make recommendations to the parents but want to be sure that I'm on the right track. Can anyone provide some feedback on the following scenarios?

3rd base - I'm thinking 12-12.5". Does open or closed back really matter? Which web style?
OF - Thinking 12-12.5, closed back, trap or closed web?
Middle IF - Thinking 12", open back, I or H web?
IF/OF - Middle IF glove? Net T?

My daughter has very small hands and has trouble squeezing her glove. She's currently using a 12" Marucci mesh back H web. The ball pops out of her glove quite a bit, especially if having to stretch or catch it away from her body and she can't use two hands. She plays 2nd and RF...probably 60% of time at 2nd. Any recommendations on a good utility glove with small finger stalls?

Last edited:

MaverickAH

Personally, I don't like seeing FP players going higher than 12.5". It's possible to do so I the player is exclusively an outfielder though. I'd rather see infielders (2B, SS, 3B) go from 11.75" to 12.25" depending on personal preference. Two-way players can go with a 12.5".

I'm hesitant to make any specific recommendations without more info like price range, level of play, number of games & longevity expectations. What you need to do is get a consensus from the parents about how much they want to spent & if they want to participate in a group buy. I know of at least one on-line retailer that offers group/bundling deals. This is not a bad time to be looking for deals as BF & the holidays are fast approaching. I would advise to not cheap out too much as they are at an age where they should be getting something that'd last them at least through high school.

As for your daughter, you probably want something designed specifically for girl's fast pitch that has smaller finger stalls & a wrist strap system. When I think about it, her problem with the ball popping out might be a function of how her glove is broken in but there's no way for me to be sure without actually observing her.

Good Luck!