Glovesmith Custom USA

Morning All,

Going after a custom GS glove here shortly. Looking at either the 12.5 or the 12.75 pattern. Some 12.5's patterns are more naturally bowl shaped. Some are not, and as I'm unfamiliar with GS's patterns I would appreciate any and all input here on either of these patterns characteristics.

Glovesmith's leather. I have read that in the past GS was using Horween, but gave up on it due to the inability to get it in a timely fashion in the quantity that they wanted. What are they using now?

They have dura-tanned and oil tanned. I would love any and all info on these leathers. From what I have been able to learn, the OT leather is roughly 10% less thick that the DT, probably to maintain equal weights. DT is stiffer, takes longer to break in, OT is softer, requires less break in, and is less rigid after break in. In a previous post from Rous he stated that two different colors from the same type of leather weighed differently. The black leather was heavier by an ounce or so.

Options. You can order online, or send in a form, but it has been said that if you get a hold of the company directly they work very much one on one with a customer to produce a truly unique item.

Other than that it has been said they're customs USA shops puts out some of the highest quality gloves available. That works for me.

Thanks ladies and gents. Hope to see some responses here. Have a great day!

fuzzai

Starting Player
hi..only here to see what Rous and others have to say. I've been thinking of getting a DT Wheat 12.5...not "loving" my 504...

A Cy 617

Dad, Fire fighter, bat flipper.
I've owned multiple custom USA glove smith gloves..

Things you need to know, anything other than DT leather, you will be disappointed. The 12.5 pattern is my preference, and you will be very happy with your glove, I promise. I'm busy right now, but will post tons of info later about GS.

I've owned multiple custom USA glove smith gloves..

Things you need to know, anything other than DT leather, you will be disappointed. The 12.5 pattern is my preference, and you will be very happy with your glove, I promise. I'm busy right now, but will post tons of info later about GS.

Thanks mate, I appreciate it.

fuzzai

Starting Player
Also Cy,
i wouldn't mind hearing ur opinion/differences between the GS 12.5 and the JD7 ;)

Mike wrote me back about a few things this afternoon.

He informed me that they stopped using Horween because it doesn't have enough stretch in it.

Interesting.

Definitely looking at a 12.5 - 12.75.

Didn't someone have a custom 12 something trap made?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Here is what I remember about the Horween issue. First, they stopped using the camel because it was SO stiff it was hard to make the gloves out of it. But they still used the tan and black for another year or so. Then they couldn't get those so they gave up. The current DT tan is very similar to the Rawlings JT tan. I asked recently, and all the leathers are the same 5.5-6 oz in thickness. Dura Tan and Oil Tanned are just Glovesmith designations. They will get leather from different tanneries. I relaced a 15 year old OT mitt and it was awesome, but some of the OT leathers are softer. If you want stiff, stick with the DT leather. Just today I noticed they don't have teh DT Wheat listed as an option for webs, so that might mean they are out of it.. call or email to find out.

I think the 12.5" is the one to get. It is a newer design and I have not been a fan of the 12.75" pattern. Cy's review is one to wait on.