Goff Thread

Country469

the technology in irons has come a long way in game improvement ****, but the whole length thing was just changing the lofts to play more aggressive for each club.

the whole 170 yard PW came about when people added 5 degrees and still called it P

shafts are so important

Redsfan

I was bored one day and was looking at new irons online. I couldn't believe the varying lofts. Just on the PW I think I saw 50 degrees all the way down to like 43 or so and they still called it a PW. If my PW was the same loft as my 8 iron I'd hit it a lot further too. I bet most hackers don't even look at that.

jobondur

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah i'm with you on the lofts. some companies are also adding length to the shafts now to add distance. i'm not excited about either. personally i'd rather have my irons with weaker lofts to cover the lower gaps. i don't really need to hit too many iron shots 220+. if i do, then i hit a hybrid. that's the reason you see most people going with hybrids now instead of 3/4 irons. cause now the loft on a 3 iron is close to what a 1 iron was. and who the hell can hit a 1 iron??

Country469

Yeah I carry a 2H 18 degree for anything more about 215-220 myself, and lets be real here I aint expecting to land that ***** on green 9/10 times either from that far out.

My set came with a 4 but other than punch outs I dont use it really.

jobondur

Addicted to Softballfans
when you guys say "get fitted" are you just talking length and lie or are you talking the whole deal. i know my length/lie (+1" and 1 degree upright) but have never been fitted for shafts or anything like that. my ball flight is stupid high which causes me to lose distance, especially with the irons and driver (3 wood flies lower than driver - not sure how). i'll look into it, trying to arrange some lessons so i'll chat with the instructor when i do.

Redsfan

It used to be just length and lie but with the newer tech out there I'm sure they can figure the best loft for you too.

Country469

If you can afford it, you want to get a full bag fitting and buy literally the best club/shaft/tweek options available to you. Hit a bunch on a launch monitor and check it out kind of thing. This is ideal.

If not, you can get a swing fitting for around 200-250 a lot of places. They'll give you a good idea what you want to buy, and then you can kinda wait for a sale or something. This is less than ideal but still ok.

The vast majority of us buy based on looks, and price, and guess at what we need and try to change our game to conform to what we own. Myself included. I got lucky on these latest irons, failed miserably at buying a shaft online for my driver.

Redsfan

My old set has a 3 and 4 iron. They are almost worthless to me. I hit my 5 almost as far and straighter.

AydenB00

The Rookie
yea they adjust or check for for smash factor, angle of attack, swing weight, lie, length,,. i have a high ball flight compared to my friends and i love it, they're jealous but they're also 2 clubs longer then me. doesnt bother me i would rather be accurate then spraying all over. plus it has to do with a 3/4 back swing which doesnt make me swing out of my shoes. arms get to fast, wrist too slow, club opens open and spray to right. this way more tempo to close down the wrists and control the ball............but thats just me............now the driver,grip it and rip it

jobondur

Addicted to Softballfans
my biggest issue right now is consistency, so maybe i should wait until after lessons and THEN go drop some coin....damnit now i gotta find something different to look into when my wife's watching some dumbass hgtv show

Redsfan

Just like with softball, Golf takes practice and practicing the right way. I have figured out unless I hit the lottery and quit working that I will never become a scratch golfer. Don't have the time to play enough to get to the next level and I'm fine with that. I can still beat my buddies except for the one's that are the retired golf pro's.

Joker

i don't give 2 ****s about lofts being jacked. irons launch much higher than they used to, lofts need to compliment the launch conditions

if a 29° 7 iron doesn't work for your game, then buy something different. there are plenty of options out there. the 22 handicap with a 80mph swing will benefit from a higher launching lower lofted 7 iron. stop being insecure about the old man hitting a 7 as far as your 6

devo12

Addicted to Softballfans
FYI. Go Cards this weekend!!! Satterfield was a pe teacher at my elementary school for a year.

Stretch19

Grow up
devo what kind of bag are you looking for? stand? cart?

id check facebook, craigslist and offer up first as there are usually some good deals on there...out side of that, you can get something for under 100 if you dont really care about the brand/color/etc

Joker

bag boy > clic gear

built in cup holder and the storage door has an actual hinge instead of just plastic

devo12

Addicted to Softballfans
Man that’s a sweet deal on that. And idc what bag. I’m just waiting on a sale for one to be around 75 bucks.