Good cleats

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
What are the top cleats to have right now? I used to always wear Mizuno, got a pair of Boombah, and now always rock with New Balance being their rubber insoles and lace cage.
No I don’t want o hear silly turfs, Salomon or any trail shoes or anything like that. All the softball gear and I’ll see guys swear by mechanix gloves to hit with 😂 and I still to this day look for Tanel 360’s but no luck

bronx90210

Addicted to Softballfans
Whatever you are confident and comfortable with. I Prefer turfs but as for cleats on a muddy day Nike alpha huarache MCS were my go to. But there’s a lot of great options out there new balance makes some really comfortable and light cleats. But their sizing is completely horrible. Adidas bounce are one the most comfortable ones I’ve ever tried. Right now I’m just using two pairs of Nike alpha huarache turfs that I love. I have a old pair of mike trout molded cleats for the muddy days.

TheKid33

Star Player
I second the Nike alpha huaraches. I’ve got a pair of new balance right now and while I like them, I wish I could have gotten another pair of the Nike huarache high tops. Not sure they even make those anymore, but they were awesome and used them for 4 years.

trippy1313

Starting Player
Yeah... so I always liked the Nike molded cleats. The MCS I believe are the hard plastics, and for me those shoes are too stiff on the bottom. I prefer a flexible shoe, and the hard plastic seemed to make me slip when I'd round a base, as well as wear out 3x as fast as the molded cleats.

Usually a pair of molded cleats lasts me a full two years before either the spikes wear down or the sole delaminates...

The MCS cleats have only ever lasted me half a season before the spikes were down... not sure why but for me that's my experience.

It was a real disappointment when I spent big bucks in the custome Nike I.D. cleats I bought with my name and everything, only to have them last 2 months.

blakcherry329

I prefer turf or trails over Cleats, anyway. I gave up on cleats over 20 years ago when I sprained both ankles sliding into 3rd. Plus when I pitch, I end up digging a hole to China when I wear molded cleats. :D

littleman13

The Veteran
I will absolutely be that guy. I used salomon speedcross 5 all season in the infield and pitching. Would never wear them in the outfield though, i wear football cleats for outfield. Old underarmour alter ego batman version to be exact. Baseball cleats are way tooo stiff, feel like a hart layer of plastic that restrict movement. Flexy all day.

littleman13

The Veteran
I will absolutely be that guy. I used salomon speedcross 5 all season in the infield and pitching. Would never wear them in the outfield though, i wear football cleats for outfield. Old underarmour alter ego batman version to be exact. Baseball cleats are way tooo stiff, feel like a hart layer of plastic that restrict movement. Flexy all day.
Molded football cleats, no screws

littleman13

The Veteran
What are the top cleats to have right now? I used to always wear Mizuno, got a pair of Boombah, and now always rock with New Balance being their rubber insoles and lace cage.
No I don’t want o hear silly turfs, Salomon or any trail shoes or anything like that. All the softball gear and I’ll see guys swear by mechanix gloves to hit with 😂 and I still to this day look for Tanel 360’s but no luck
If you play infield, you will like the salomon speedcross 5 more than the tanel 360. If you play outfield you will like any molded flexible football cleat more than the tanel. Just my two cents though. I just jingle jingle

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
I don't ever wear them anymore but i have NB freshfoams that are really comfortable. only wear them in the outfield if its raining.

A guy I play with who plays outfield often but hates cleats wears the Mizuno Ambitions. they are a very aggressive cleat like turf IMO. and he likes them.

I typicaly wear air pegasus turfs that are all sorts of fruity colors.

Committed

Nike Huarache MCS if you have to wear cleats. The high tops are the best IMO. With that said, there is a reason my cleats collect dust in the garage and most tournament players prefer turfs. The juice ain’t worth the squeeze as it pertains to injuries and performance.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
This is really the only determining factor in choosing cleats.

current :

sub-buzz-31508-1601397062-34.png

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll have to find them in a store. The last time I tried on a pair of Nike running shoes I had to go up one and a half size, and that was over 7 years ago too. I'm currently wearing the Asics Trabuco Fuji Racer something something, it's a dumb name and there's no way I got it right, but that should be enough to find them on amazon.

I have some Asics Lacrosse cleats if it rains. Thank goodness I haven't had to wear them, but they're probably more flexy than baseball cleats, but not like the football cleats he describes above.

Cleats hurt my feet from the pressure, and my knees from not giving at all when I rotate. I'd still wear those Fuji Racers in the outfield if it's dry. The only way cleats would beat them was if I had to make cuts, and the rest of me ain't doing that anyway so that takes care of that.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
I wore boombah and 3n2 turfs for years and they were just junky. I bought the nike lacrosse turfs, then solomons, then these. the salomons are basically work shoes. a little narrow but fine. in the end, standard running shoes with turf bottoms just feel easier to be in.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree completely. As a pitcher, I look for some with toe protection, but I'll try those pegasus if I can find them on sale. I went from Saucony to Asics mainly because I'm cheap.

CTGlove

Nike Huarache MCS if you have to wear cleats. The high tops are the best IMO. With that said, there is a reason my cleats collect dust in the garage and most tournament players prefer turfs. The juice ain’t worth the squeeze as it pertains to injuries and performance.
What does this even mean? Why are cleats “bad”? They are worn by every HS, College, and Pro.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
not for nothing but I feel like the turf in most of the environments mentioned are well manicured properties or artificial. most fields are garbage comparatively

Committed

It means you have poor reading comprehension skills. Nobody is talking about baseball, bro.

Most of the guys here play league or tournament softball. Cleats are great for when the weather and field conditions are less than stellar. Other than that, you are risking a multitude of injuries unless you train and play in cleats regularly.

Redsfan

I keep it simple. I wear cleats on dirt/natural grass fields and turfs when I play on turf. I've always had great luck with most Nike or Under Armor shoes.

smslf#4

Part Time Player
Outfied here too. wearing the older Trout mids or NB 4040v6 now, and i love them both. They have the hard plastic. the NB was better for plantar fasciatis. On turf fields i wear turfs usually.
In the past, my favorites were always the screw-
in iterchangeable cleats. The cleats were awesome, but the wore out really fast. Had them in Nike and Adidas.

Just realized this is a resurrected 6 month old thread, lol