Other GSL - Illegal Player

MF'N MGR

Addicted to Softballfans
Umps, quick question about this scenario (I tried to find it in the GSL bylaws, but I'm not having any luck piecing it together to reflect a situation that happened this past weekend at a World Qualifier):

Team A is at bat and a player is ejected due to an infraction (threw his bat) after making the last out for the inning. However, they do not have a tenth player on the bench for an substitution entry. A player miraculously appears in right as Team takes the field and then.....

Team B roster checks, it's discovered the substitute is not on the online sanction roster or sign in roster for the day, and is deemed ineligible on the spot. The substitute is not allowed to play, period.

Ump enforces that rule, proxy to the State Director on site explains to me that Team A doesn't get the DQ because a the ball wasn't put into play when the Substitute took the field and therefore Team A is only required to play with 9 (as you are always allowed), since they do not have a 10th body. Meaning, the illegal player "technically" wasn't playing.

Is this true? Is there written proof of this? Isn't that rule left open for so many misinterpretations? So, if they weren't challenged to provide proof then it's ok? Perhaps I'm looking too deep into this. Thank you in advance.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
I can't quote a written rule but this screams BS to me. Sounds to me like the LD didn't want to piss anyone off and make them forfeit.

MkD0722

Addicted to Softballfans
Weird. Had the exact same situation this weekend too! LOL

So as to whether the non-roster player was officially in the game, Rule 5 Section 3 B covers it...once he takes his position in the field he is entered into the game; the rules are clear on that and a pitch does NOT have to be thrown. Whether he's announced or not, once he takes his position he's in the game.

What the Rules do not cover, at least not that I could find, was a penalty for a non-rostered player being in the game.

But allowing them to play with 9 and taking the out for the ejected player in the batting order is acceptable in the Rules unless they could provide a legitimate sub.

Additionally, what I did find was that once they start their first game of the tournament, they cannot make changes to that days roster (Article V, Sec. 10). So adding that other player for the championship games was bogus. DreamCrushers could potentially have a legitimate gripe and protest.

MF'N MGR

Addicted to Softballfans
Thank you for the responses, guys.

I can't quote a written rule but this screams BS to me. Sounds to me like the LD didn't want to piss anyone off and make them forfeit.

I agree. Sounds like a cop out.

Weird. Had the exact same situation this weekend too! LOL

So as to whether the non-roster player was officially in the game, Rule 5 Section 3 B covers it...once he takes his position in the field he is entered into the game; the rules are clear on that and a pitch does NOT have to be thrown. Whether he's announced or not, once he takes his position he's in the game.

What the Rules do not cover, at least not that I could find, was a penalty for a non-rostered player being in the game.

But allowing them to play with 9 and taking the out for the ejected player in the batting order is acceptable in the Rules unless they could provide a legitimate sub.

Additionally, what I did find was that once they start their first game of the tournament, they cannot make changes to that days roster (Article V, Sec. 10). So adding that other player for the championship games was bogus. DreamCrushers could potentially have a legitimate gripe and protest.

I was told at the field that the proper etiquette would have been to present my $75 protest fee on the spot, the game would have stopped and reviewed, then a ruling would've been made. I'm trying hard to understand how a team that uses an illegal player, knowingly or not, is able to continue in a tournament - simply for the fact that "they could have been doing it all day," therefore to eliminate any and all speculation they should be removed from bracket play. The rules seem blurred at this point and this may have been the second half of our state berth paid for.