Other GSL reentry

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
P1 plays
P2 subs in for him
P3 subs in for P2
Can P1 still renter in this spot or is he now done for the game?

I thought in USA/ASA P1 was done once P3 subbed in.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
No: In USA everyone gets one re-entry, in USSSA/GSL every starter gets one re-entry. In all cases, P1 can still re-enter. In USSSA/GSL both P2 and P3 are burned.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
No: In USA everyone gets one re-entry, in USSSA/GSL every starter gets one re-entry. In all cases, P1 can still re-enter. In USSSA/GSL both P2 and P3 are burned.

As always, I appreciate your response. It gets confusing on Pg 62 & 63 in this year's rule book though.....where it says "all players" & "Any player" (see below)

Pg 62
Double re-entry is allowed.
Teams may substitute all players a maximum of 2 times per game into the same batting position.

Pg 63
DOUBLE ENTRY: Teams will be allowed to substitute all players a maximum of 2 times per game. Starting the game is considered the players 1st time entering. Any player may be substituted or replaced and re-entered once, providing player occupies the same batting position in the line-up. For purposes of clarification: All players listed in the starting lineup are considered to be entered one time.

In terms of my ASA/USA thoughts, pg 49:
4. Illegal Re-Entry. Occurs when:
a. A starting player returns to the game a second time after being substituted for twice.

In my scenario above, he was substituted for twice, by P2 and P3?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
As always, I appreciate your response. It gets confusing on Pg 62 & 63 in this year's rule book though.....where it says "all players" & "Any player" (see below)

Pg 62
Double re-entry is allowed.
Teams may substitute all players a maximum of 2 times per game into the same batting position.

Pg 63
DOUBLE ENTRY: Teams will be allowed to substitute all players a maximum of 2 times per game. Starting the game is considered the players 1st time entering. Any player may be substituted or replaced and re-entered once, providing player occupies the same batting position in the line-up. For purposes of clarification: All players listed in the starting lineup are considered to be entered one time.

In terms of my ASA/USA thoughts, pg 49:
4. Illegal Re-Entry. Occurs when:
a. A starting player returns to the game a second time after being substituted for twice.

In my scenario above, he was substituted for twice, by P2 and P3?
No, P1 was substituted for once, by P2. P3 substituting for P2 has no bearing on P1 being able to be re-enter.