ASA had a bad ump

peck22

Extra Hitter
Need a little help? we had a ump last night that both teams think hes getting a little old for the game. there was a hit out to right field right fielder ran in and caught it about 12 in. off the ground ump called it a trap ball he was calling flat pitches strikes calling people safe that where out i want to bring it up to league any ideas :confused::confused:

reese10

The Veteran
Talk to the UIC and ask him to come and evaluate his represenative. Or you can have the LD do the same. Another option is to become an umpire yourself.

LORDV8R

Addicted to Softballfans
Both teams thought the ump was making too many incorrect calls and that he just might be too old and not able to see as good as he used to. We had a guy just like this a month ago. He called a fould ball on a ball that was atleast 5 feet fair down the left field line. The LD said that this guy is the very only ump they could get and he is their last resort. It happens. Getting old sucks. But why continue to put someone, that could and probably will cause issues, out there to umpire?

Roundtrip

Starting Player
Both teams thought the ump was making too many incorrect calls and that he just might be too old and not able to see as good as he used to. We had a guy just like this a month ago. He called a fould ball on a ball that was atleast 5 feet fair down the left field line. The LD said that this guy is the very only ump they could get and he is their last resort. It happens. Getting old sucks. But why continue to put someone, that could and probably will cause issues, out there to umpire?

Didn't you answer your question, within your question? Help recruit some more umpires or hell become one yourself. I promise you'll have a new perspective.

USSSA

The Veteran
Need a little help? we had a ump last night that both teams think hes getting a little old for the game. there was a hit out to right field right fielder ran in and caught it about 12 in. off the ground ump called it a trap ball he was calling flat pitches strikes calling people safe that where out i want to bring it up to league any ideas :confused::confused:

any player that complains about the calls the umps make and do not sign on the umpire themselves, are out of line

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
You guys must be pretty tough on umpires if you can't get anyone else to call games for you.
There are a few guys around here that I would like to see do my job- they wouldn't complain nearly as much

johnsonrod

Starting Player
any player that complains about the calls the umps make and do not sign on the umpire themselves, are out of line

thats your opinion, but i dont think everyone would agree with that.

IMO, you have to have realistic expectations of what you are going to get. lets say you go to some diner and have bad service, just bc you arent willing to become a waiter yourself doesnt mean you dont have the right to complain.

as far as softball umping goes, there are a lot of valid reasons why someone would not choose to become an umpire, that doesnt mean that they cant complain when someone is just plain terrible at umping.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Just to make things even...

As an umpire, I've had bad teams. Who do we get to complain to? If your umpire is so bad, perhaps its time you went to a clinic and got your umpire certification so you can show him how to do it...I'm just saying.

Talk to the UIC and ask him to come and evaluate his represenative. Or you can have the LD do the same. Another option is to become an umpire yourself.

I second this motion.

Didn't you answer your question, within your question? Help recruit some more umpires or hell become one yourself. I promise you'll have a new perspective.

As an umpire, I've had bad teams. Who do we get to complain to? If your umpire is so bad, perhaps its time you went to a clinic and got your umpire certification so you can show him how to do it...I'm just saying.

so if all us ball players became umps,who is left to play.you umps just have proved how dumb some of your answers can be.:rolleyes: yes i have umped but prefer to play.

what is wrong with uic's/parks and recs/LD's getting people who can do the job and train them to do it,instead of just grabbing people off the street that don't have a clue and just throwing them out there with very minimal training.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
so if all us ball players became umps,who is left to play.you umps just have proved how dumb some of your answers can be.:rolleyes: yes i have umped but prefer to play.

Yeah, that's exactly what we're saying. Everyone drop everything and become an umpire. :rolleyes:

what is wrong with uic's/parks and recs/LD's getting people who can do the job and train them to do it,instead of just grabbing people off the street that don't have a clue and just throwing them out there with very minimal training.

I agree that is a problem, but rather than sit and complain about it, players should do something about it.

But we've beaten this topic down a million times before.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

You may have officiated games, but you weren't an umpire

See, I told you. An umpire knows the answer to that question.

LORDV8R

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm an umpire myself and I still see guys out there who flat out shouldn't be umping under ANY circumstances. The same umps continually make the same wrong calls or flat out don't know the rules.

The tactful thing to do is contact the league director and discuss the umping. Trust me, if a league director gets enough complaints about an umpire, action will be taken.

Yelling at the umpire on the field will get you nowhere though.

You do know you just turned on your own kind? :D There are good as well as bad umps and the same goes for players. I complement the good umps just as much as I give greef to the bad, but this thread has gotten away from what the OP was talking about. If someone is physically unable to umpire then they shouldn't be allowed to do it.

Yeah, that's exactly what we're saying. Everyone drop everything and become an umpire. :rolleyes:

well basically you are,when you say that we players should ump.like i said who is gonna play.

I agree that is a problem, but rather than sit and complain about it, players should do something about it.

But we've beaten this topic down a million times before.

an what do the players have to do,they can't play and ump at the same time.

You may have officiated games, but you weren't an umpire

and you know this how.:rolleyes:

See, I told you. An umpire knows the answer to that question.

but you don't.

I'm an umpire myself and I still see guys out there who flat out shouldn't be umping under ANY circumstances. The same umps continually make the same wrong calls or flat out don't know the rules.

The tactful thing to do is contact the league director and discuss the umping. Trust me, if a league director gets enough complaints about an umpire, action will be taken.

Yelling at the umpire on the field will get you nowhere though.

the prol i have seen,is that LD's don't care either.they just want your league fee,and leave it at that.i would say its better than 50% on the bad vs good ump's in the 2 parks i play at.i have sent time with some that are really trying,but that is only a few that really want to improve.the questions i'm not positive about i have come on here and asked or looked up for them.

You do know you just turned on your own kind? :D There are good as well as bad umps and the same goes for players. I complement the good umps just as much as I give greef to the bad, but this thread has gotten away from what the OP was talking about. If someone is physically unable to umpire then they shouldn't be allowed to do it.

you are right,there are a lot that physically should not be out there.there also a lot that are there for an extra paycheck only and could care less on how they call a game.

Last edited:
Great. You've acknowledged that a person can't be in two places at once. Now lay off those blues calling single umpire games. ;)

don't have a prol with an ump as long as the ump is trying to get into position in 1 man.its the lazy azz bastiches that won't move,then give an attitude to you for asking(well maybe a yell) them to get in position.i have some knowledge of the rules and will try to help them,but they won't hear of it.they just don't care.
by the way most of my games for league are 2 man mech's,and they barely move.:rolleyes: