Has anyone had PRP following a TKR?

Gary B.

Bravo for Life!
I had a TKR about 6 months ago and the healing seems to be going OK but I am hearing people say PRP can significantly help with recovery and regaining strength? Would love to hear your thoughts if you have. Thinking of getting it done.

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
speaking to an ortho recently who is highly respected locally, we got into PRP and other new wave modalities. His words were if you are a pro athlete with tons on money, why not give it a shot. BUT, in his eyes, not enough proof its of any benefit and he personally would not spend his money on it.
A buddy with knee pain, had PRP ($800) with zero positive affect.
For an achilese problem , I've had amniotic growth factor injection ($800) shock wave therapy (5 treatments at $90 a pop) and heat laser ( treatments at $75 a pop)...none of which is covered by insurance and I feel I now know why!
Folks in pain will try anything and these snake oil salesmen know that.

Hawkeye92

OG Midget Mafia
Everyone needs to look into BPC-157.
I don’t have any personal experience with it, but I have teammates who have used it with great results.
I have rotator cuff surgery coming up and will be implementing it into my rehab.

My second daughter is a Dr in research group for Eli Lily and she said that the PRP theory for repair of athletic injury is not viable. She said the single best therapy after knee replacement is to find the toughest, meanest, non-compromising therapist that will work you beyond what you think you are capable of. Her husband has had hip replacement and this is exactly what has him walking, jogging, etc now at age 60, better than anytime since his mid 30's. You have to put in the time.

I failed to include that his therapist was maybe a 110-120 lb female that was relentless.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
I used PRP for tennis elbow on both arms at different times a couple years ago with success. Dont know how it would go on a TKR. Interested in that BPC 157though

Gary B.

Bravo for Life!
Had an opportunity to speak with a gentleman who had PRP following a TKR and he had nothing but glowing remarks to say. Said his knee felt more stable with quite the reduction in pain. Prior to the PRP he said his knees felt achy and weak when running on them. Following he said it was much improved. If it is going to help strengthen the soft tissue around the knee it would be logical to believe it could improve stability. At least that is what I am thinking.

fives55

Addicted to Softballfans
Knee's bone on bone. Knee surgeon wanted to replace both. Went the stem cell(my own) route in 2018. Stem cells and PRP, best thing I have done. The trick is needle placement. Just injecting it is no good. Stem cells are the "seed" and PRP is the "fertilizer".

Gary B.

Bravo for Life!
@fives55, that is good to know if this doesn't work. Not sure I want to pay for the Stem cell treatment yet but I am currently going through the PRP treatment. It is a series of 3 injections, 1 month apart. I had the first one 2 weeks ago and I would definitely say I have noticeably reduced pain and knees feel more stable walking up stairs. Will be getting the 2nd treatment Feb 11. Will update as I get further along. Cautiously optimistic!!

Gary B.

Bravo for Life!
Were the PRP injections in your knee at all painful
They used an anesthetic prior and it felt like a mosquito bite, isn't that what they tell you anyways! Seriously though, like any other shot that I have had. The PRP injection, I just felt pressure as he was injecting but wasn't bad at all. If you have ever gotten the hyaluronic acid shots (chicken shots), it is very similar to that.

Hawkeye92

OG Midget Mafia

Obviously, do your own research but I have had great results with BPC157 following double rotator cuff surgery with reattachment of the biceps tendon. I never told my doctor or physical therapist what I was doing and they both commented several times during my rehab at how well I was doing And that I “shouldn’t be this far along yet”.
I was told 6 months to full recovery and I just played a tournament This past weekend (5 months post-op) with no issues (other than being out of shape). Needless to say, I took it easy on the field and didn’t attempt any hard overhand throws, but swinging the bat felt as strong as before surgery. It’s definitely something to look into if you don’t want to spend the money on PRP or Stem Cell therapy.

Gary B.

Bravo for Life!

Obviously, do your own research but I have had great results with BPC157 following double rotator cuff surgery with reattachment of the biceps tendon. I never told my doctor or physical therapist what I was doing and they both commented several times during my rehab at how well I was doing And that I “shouldn’t be this far along yet”.
I was told 6 months to full recovery and I just played a tournament This past weekend (5 months post-op) with no issues (other than being out of shape). Needless to say, I took it easy on the field and didn’t attempt any hard overhand throws, but swinging the bat felt as strong as before surgery. It’s definitely something to look into if you don’t want to spend the money on PRP or Stem Cell therapy.
Thanks for the info. I will definitely research BPC 157 and other peptides.