Help me replace my Old Reliable

littleman13

The Veteran
I bought a well used GCP18 off here about 10 years ago and web swapped a Tan GCP I web onto it and replaced it and have been IF playing with it since. I have a great condition GCP51 for OF. It has been starting to get too soft now again and now I noticed a tear starting inside the glove. I think it's finally time to retire it. I love the size, 12" labeled but plays more toward a 12.5". I had a A2000 I played baseball with but liked this GCP feel more. I've been toying with the thought of trying a Rawlings since I've never had one. I am somewhat liking the idea of a stiffer leather since some hard hits have literally hit halfway on the tips of this gcp and bent it over. Thoughts, opinions, anything you have... Throw them this way.

Party mafia

how about the wilson sp125, it's a 12.5 makes for slowpitch. i think chad might have a dark chocolate sp125 smu coming out soon; or you can google ebasedloaded, they have 3 smu sp125 model that you can choose from. Good luck.

mkaufm1

In my limited experience, it may just be time to relace / recondition your Mizuno. It depends on what exactly it’s doing, but replacing inserts (if they’re broken/over flexed) and some fresh laces can add a lot of structure back to a glove. If the GCP has always been too floppy for you, then it’s probably not worth it. For what it’s worth, I can never keep the Mizuno naming conventions straight and can’t place this model in my memory in reference to leather quality…so there is that to consider as well.

mkaufm1

In my limited experience, it may just be time to relace / recondition your Mizuno. It depends on what exactly it’s doing, but replacing inserts (if they’re broken/over flexed) and some fresh laces can add a lot of structure back to a glove. If the GCP has always been too floppy for you, then it’s probably not worth it. For what it’s worth, I can never keep the Mizuno naming conventions straight and can’t place this model in my memory in reference to leather quality…so there is that to consider as well.
One other datapoint, in my experience the ease of breaking-in gloves the natural way is:

Mizuno deguchi kip leather (easiest), A2000, A2K, and HOH (stiffest).

Assumes not pre-squeezed at the shop, and only gloves I’ve purchased in the last ~3 years.

Last edited:

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
just to throw another wrench in your buying decision. Gloveworks is running 20% off this week so a custom in the asian spec might do the trick for you if you've got a little time

littleman13

The Veteran
how about the wilson sp125, it's a 12.5 makes for slowpitch. i think chad might have a dark chocolate sp125 smu coming out soon; or you can google ebasedloaded, they have 3 smu sp125 model that you can choose from. Good luck.
Who is Chad? Looking at the SP125 now, I am not opposed

littleman13

The Veteran

The first glove on this thread is my GCP17* not GCP18 I got it very well used and just got it to try my first replace job and then found a tan GMP I web to toss on it. It's been my gamer for the last 9 seasons. The inner of the ring finger is starting to tear and the ring, middle and index finger are starting to flex over, even with tightening the lace. Lace is still in decent shape, she still plays, just think it's time to find her a replacement before she blows and I'm in trouble. I've always wanted to try a Rawlings, and I like the I web I have but want to try an H Web so I'm thinking let's go for it. Also, would like to try something a little stiffer.

littleman13

The Veteran
One other datapoint, in my experience the ease of breaking-in gloves the natural way is:

Mizuno deguchi kip leather (easiest), A2000, A2K, and HOH (stiffest).

Assumes not pre-squeezed at the shop, and only gloves I’ve purchased in the last ~3 years.
How would you compare an A2000 to a HoH? The leather quality, stiffness, feel. I do play Two in the Pink. I got my Fiancee a liberty advanced and it feels a lot nicer for TIP than my GCP. Also, my GCP17 was the original classic pro with the North American steerhide, from what Ive heard and seen, much better than the new classic pros

mkaufm1

How would you compare an A2000 to a HoH? The leather quality, stiffness, feel. I do play Two in the Pink. I got my Fiancee a liberty advanced and it feels a lot nicer for TIP than my GCP. Also, my GCP17 was the original classic pro with the North American steerhide, from what Ive heard and seen, much better than the new classic pros
By feel, I would put the HoH ahead of the A2000’s on stiffness and structure. The HOH is also noticeably heavier but not in a way that impacts playability.

There are a couple of caveats to my thoughts on the two gloves : 1) my favorite glove for a long time was an A2000, so I don’t think there is anything wrong with the A2000. I have my eye on a 12.5” HoH for outfield next year, but will probably go back to an A2000 DW5 afterwards (I have a strange affinity for that model that I can’t really explain). 2) I have a rule about presqueezed gloves - don’t try them for anything outside of fit b/c they’re abused from a break-in perspective and can lead you astray. Just 1000’s of kids picking up a glove can clomping on it.