Here she is! Spalding Pro Select

Dev

The Rookie
i bought 2 of the 42008 model. i'm want to relace the trap on one and see how i like it. i've never used this type of web on a glove before so i think i need to use it and get a feel for it, then i can decide if this trap is good for me.

MaverickAH

Yea! Finally someone who gets the advantage of a trap for OF.

I don't think that people don't get the advantages of a trapeze web. I think that they understand that it's not a list of all positives. If you play outfield exclusively, it can be a great glove that's relatively easy to break in. If you play on turf or properly maintained fields, it can be wonderful.

But.........

If you play both IF/OF & only want one glove, it's not optimal. It can also be an issue when you're playing OF & have to field ground balls while charging. This can really be an issue on natural fields that aren't properly maintained.

JJensen22

Extra Hitter
I don't think that people don't get the advantages of a trapeze web. I think that they understand that it's not a list of all positives. If you play outfield exclusively, it can be a great glove that's relatively easy to break in. If you play on turf or properly maintained fields, it can be wonderful.

But.........

If you play both IF/OF & only want one glove, it's not optimal. It can also be an issue when you're playing OF & have to field ground balls while charging. This can really be an issue on natural fields that aren't properly maintained.

Agreed. I played mine for 2 weeks before I brought it in for the swap just to make sure I liked it. The trapeze was a no go for me at first.

Dev

The Rookie
pK2BPV.jpg

uROWPX.jpg

1o9L3s.jpg

Nqwt7X.jpg

ps7YD2.jpg

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Personally, I'd go with 7.5" long, with a top bar at 4.75" or 5", middle at 4.5" or 4.75" and a base at 3.5" wide.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the vote of confidence! If you want it to play about like the original trap, take the smaller of my measurements. If you want deeper version, go with the longer. To play super deep, go to 5" wide at the top and middle bar with a 7.75" length. Some guys have gone wider still, but I think that is overkill.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe

But.........

I have had trouble charging the ground balls with my Mizuno trap but not my Vinci American style. It may have to do with my set up, I loosed the lace wide by the pocket and tighter by the end of the fingers. I do have H webs but dont play IF at all unless I catch.
If I were an IF I would use an I web myself, but that aint gonna happen unless all the geeezers on my team dye mid game, LOL.
And as usual, I would point out the glove Ozzy Smith used, but he coulda fielded w a milk carton for a glove.
Trying to get my Spaulding ready to use, will report after I use a little bit.....

MaverickAH

I have had trouble charging the ground balls with my Mizuno trap but not my Vinci American style. It may have to do with my set up, I loosed the lace wide by the pocket and tighter by the end of the fingers. I do have H webs but dont play IF at all unless I catch.
If I were an IF I would use an I web myself, but that aint gonna happen unless all the geeezers on my team dye mid game, LOL.
And as usual, I would point out the glove Ozzy Smith used, but he coulda fielded w a milk carton for a glove.
Trying to get my Spaulding ready to use, will report after I use a little bit.....

Sure, you can alleviate some ground ball concern by how you break in & maintain your glove (the stiffer, the better imo) but I feel that you're still going to have issues in high grass situations.

You can't use the Ozzie reference as an example.
  1. It was a 12" trapeze.
  2. It was Horween through & through.
  3. It was made in the U.S.A.
  4. He used his gloves straight out of the box & discarded them when they actually got broken in.
You just can't take a horween leather, made in the U.S.A glove of that era & transfer its qualities to gloves made today. They were extremely stiff, extremely durable & well made. The majority of the cattle in those days were free range & older which means that the hides, although less visually perfect, were tougher & thicker. Much of today's leather is farm raised in pens & harvested at a much earlier age. Additionally, glove makers have, over the last few years, pushed consumers towards softer, more visually appealing leather. It's no wonder why the use of top horween has gone the way of the dinosaur.

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
I use these at 1st. I think it has to do with having the top of the trap tighter though. If you dont stretch out the top too much, I think they work well all over.

Joker

anyone still have a 1B mitt and can take pics of the top of the web? i took mine apart and forgot how it goes back together

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
I use these at 1st. I think it has to do with having the top of the trap tighter though. If you dont stretch out the top too much, I think they work well all over.

Yea thats the point I was trying to make. The Mizzy in that pic has much wider pocket than my MTV also.
I suppose what Mav says about the leather is true, even my Optimus gloves feel soft compared to the OG CP steerhide gloves.

Joker

where the web attaches to the fingers. i knew some of the laces went under other laces. the whole web comes off

thanks those pics help

oveezy

Addicted to Softballfans
The peer pressure was too great and I had to get one. I got a 12" basket web... here it is.... I don't have any use for the web so if you want it you can have it. Just pay the shipping for it.