High Top trail shoe?

Spackler

...got that goin for me
So I rolled my ankle for a level 2 sprain....its jacked on both sides of ankle as you can see in pic. I rolled it playin lame ass kickball on a turf field. Wondering if I should go to high tops or just use an ankle brace when I come back to softball...what say you? I love my Salomon Speedcross 3 but they don't come in a high top except for those Chinese ebay knockoffs....I liked the Tanel Rev D but they are too heavy now that Im spoiled by the light weight SS3. Ive rolled ankles a few times over the years so could use a long term fix....

Whats the high top of choice in a trail shoe??

Last edited:

saint

Voted '15 Mod of the Year
and you think hightops will help? invest in a good brace. hightops do minimal to prevent rolling your ankle.

ATL Rookie

Manager
You might want to get that ankle looked at. I wouldnt be surprised if an MRI shows some ligament damage that may require surgery.

manlawner

Under Armour UA FTHR Shield TRC Storm Running Shoes look them up

I wear these and haven't rolled my ankle in 2 years, they also seem to grip well on just about everything. Only problem is the orange is the only color

Spackler

...got that goin for me
and you think hightops will help? invest in a good brace. hightops do minimal to prevent rolling your ankle.

you know a good brace? Im open to ideas.... I used to have one that laced up with Velcro straps I'll end up getting again if no ones names a better one

saint

I have bad ankles and roll them often so I keep one of these in my bag:

mcdavid-ankle-brace-8-strap.jpg

I think it looks like this now:

195_BL_Ankle_A1_HR_M.jpg

check amazon:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/McDavid-Deluxe-Ankle-Brace-Medium/dp/B000V413TW"]Amazon.com: McDavid Ankle with Strap: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hMdgeTE1L.@@AMEPARAM@@41hMdgeTE1L[/ame]

saint

I'm sure there are more restrictive ones, which you may need with that nasty ankle. You need some ice. lol

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
I think you have too much salt in your diet.
Speedcross or Fellraisers with an ankle support will be a lot better than a standard hightop turf shoe (in my opinion)
JJ

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Yep keep the comfortable shoes and roll with ankle braces, I do both ankles every game and wear boombah trails has helped me, I used to wear high top cleats, then mizuno blasts and still kept rolling ankles, my whole life every summer on crutches from rolling ankles, switched to turfs and braces and haven't looked back, I use McDavid as we'll just the neoprene non lace up now, have used the lace up before either one will help

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Still get the Merrells. One of the most comfy shoes ever. Briefly looked for high tops and only found lows (which are also incredible). But I have a pair so I know they exist.

MaverickAH

195_BL_Ankle_A1_HR_M.jpg

QUOTE]

I too had issues with my ankles. I never played seriously without high tops.

In college, I learned from the trainers how to properly wrap my ankles for support using a foam under wrap & cloth tape. It provides for a custom fit & is absolutely the best way to protect your ankles.

That McDavid ankle wrap is a very good second option if you're unable to wrap your ankle yourself.

lx_2nv

Coach
I rolled my ankle and broke my fibula on the 4th of july...I am back to wearing my drivetrains and have a brace similar to saints. Good luck with healing...that crap sucks.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Check out the Active Ankle.

I'm a former volleyball player, and busted ankles are kind of our stock-in-trade. The Active Ankle brace allows full front-to-back motion, but no lateral motion (ie., rolling). It's slim enough to fit into your shoe without too much bulk, but provides excellent protection from rolling.

After my ankle was reconstructed, the Physician's Assistant was going to give me an ASO brace until she saw my Active Ankle. She liked it so much, she said she was going to try and stock it.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Merrell Mix Master 2's in the high model. Awesome.

195_BL_Ankle_A1_HR_M.jpg

QUOTE]

I too had issues with my ankles. I never played seriously without high tops.

In college, I learned from the trainers how to properly wrap my ankles for support using a foam under wrap & cloth tape. It provides for a custom fit & is absolutely the best way to protect your ankles.

That McDavid ankle wrap is a very good second option if you're unable to wrap your ankle yourself.

Stork the bottoms on the Merrells don't look very aggressive, have u used on wet of grass? Mav Spackler and I need both the brace and high tops, we both are aggressive runners, he's a moose and I am an out of controlled horse when running, lol.

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Under Armour UA FTHR Shield TRC Storm Running Shoes look them up

I wear these and haven't rolled my ankle in 2 years, they also seem to grip well on just about everything. Only problem is the orange is the only color

Those are god awefull looking but the support looks great. The pic of the sole isn't very detailed got a good picture? Are the tread aggressive enough for OF. Spacks Mr Everywhere, does it all except pitch, sure he could do that if he tried :)

manlawner

Those are god awefull looking but the support looks great. The pic of the sole isn't very detailed got a good picture? Are the tread aggressive enough for OF. Spacks Mr Everywhere, does it all except pitch, sure he could do that if he tried :)

They are a rubberized tread, they seem to grip on everything, I play a little bit of everywhere, and when everybody is slipping on stuff I'm not. I haven't had any trouble playing outfield or infield on wet turf or in dirt.

coldengineer

Star Player

Cold Engineer really disagrees. High top football cleats provide support.

However, Cold Engineer wants the OP to know that supports will only prolong the problem, which is your lack of balance and strength. Cold Engineer suggests training your lower body to be more prepared for movement and prevent injuries.

louconn

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
i wear tanel rmp lite mids. i've hurt my ankles multiple times. i probably should have had surgery on my last injury cause mine still aches and pops after 3 years. i've tried ankle braces and they were more of a hinderance than a help.

saint

Cold Engineer really disagrees. High top football cleats provide support.

However, Cold Engineer wants the OP to know that supports will only prolong the problem, which is your lack of balance and strength. Cold Engineer suggests training your lower body to be more prepared for movement and prevent injuries.

football cleats are not made to play on dirt and cause more foot issues.

it's rec softball, people really 'train'?

stork

Stork the bottoms on the Merrells don't look very aggressive, have u used on wet of grass? Mav Spackler and I need both the brace and high tops, we both are aggressive runners, he's a moose and I am an out of controlled horse when running, lol.

No. But he was asking for a trail shoe and playing kickball. ;)
If you play IF they would probably be ok. I have worn them on the trail and they work fine and we have some pretty steep grades at times. I wear em for pretty much anywhere though cuz they are super comfy & super light...except playing ball. I will try em at some point, but just play with my Mizzys.

ghunt25

Salomon Spikecross has a hightop. Just don't show anyone the bottoms, and don't slide.

Although I'd go with the brace.

stork

Been looking at those Spikecross's for winter and walking on icy roads.

pontiacfb78

Star Player

I rolled both of my ankles last winter 6 weeks apart playing soccer. Miraculously, I could walk on them without pain the next morning. I still have pain when I go down a set of stairs first thing in the morning. Ankle braces are for pansies......