Hitting up the Middle

jlee

League:
Determine what kind of league it is, recreational? Competitive? If you are legitimately concerned about pitcher safety and there is no rule protecting the pitcher don't play. Find a league that does. If this is a recreational league and more for fun, no reason to go up the middle. Keep in mind, by you signing up I am sure there is a liability waiver fully stating you know exactly what you are getting into, that you could get hurt. There is no one true way to protect the pitcher unless there are specific rules (nets, halo rule, etc). The problem lies is it could be a recreational league but one team or certain person on that team may consider that league their life, will approach every league game like the World Series.

Tournaments:
If the team is running a 4 man, middle is and ALWAYS will be open. Do not complain that people are hitting up the middle, this is tournament ball. As a pitcher you know very well that people hit the ball hard and if you are running a 4 man, you better expect some coming up the middle. Wear a mask, where shin guards, where whatever you need, but know if you don't have the middle covered by a 5 man infield you are going to expect a ton of balls back at you. Even with a 5 man people will hit middle, however if you are a good pitcher and can cover opposite side hole of the wheel, the hitting team is playing into your defense, that is what you want.

huzzdog

retired
You're missing the point. I don't mind getting hit at. However in this situation, they were doing it out of frustration. That's all.
isn't that the idea as the pitcher? to frustrate them? so you are mad you did your job?

I literally antagonize them on purpose for this very reason.

blakcherry329

isn't that the idea as the pitcher? to frustrate them? so you are mad you did your job?

I literally antagonize them on purpose for this very reason.
It's like an unwritten rule, I guess. If you're up a lot, don't shoot middle. Same token if you're getting smacked around, unless you are still trying to compete. I guess you had to be there to understand. They, pretty much, conceded the win to us. We stopped taking extra bases, swinging at the first pitch, not shooting middle, etc. They were done. I was throwing right down the middle. They were jogging on grounders, not running out fly balls, etc. But a few of them were just doing it to be ****s, nothing more. So we started playing regular softball after that.

EA Sports

Addicted to Softballfans
This thread gave me some entertainment at work. If you pitch, the ball will be hit at you. Field it or play a different position.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
I propose that we use standard issue pitching gear to make the game safe again.

th

bndawgs

President-Elect
played against a team that tried to hit our pitcher intentionally. one batter missed the pitcher and hit their runner who just left 2b for the 3rd out.

oppotaco13

Dude on my team hit one waist high to the pitchers left. He got a glove on it, and was still mad the guy didn't apologize immediately. Meanwhile, half or team checked on him. It only sounded like something cause he knocked it down.

That bugs me.

It was the guy on my teams 3rd softball game ever and was not aware of how whiny some pitchers are.

blakcherry329

I was 3-4 in middle shots on Tuesday, in the Semis. 2 line drives and a one hopper. The one I missed was a grounder that skidded along the the ground. Got a glove on it, but couldn't hold on. Those are my weakness at my advance age. lol
The pitcher hit the hardest one, right at my head. Never said a word. No biggie. I never thought about retaliating. Not my style. He walked me next ab anyway. We won. it's all good. ;-)

Dr. Funkenstein

Addicted to Softballfans
I was 3-4 in middle shots on Tuesday, in the Semis. 2 line drives and a one hopper. The one I missed was a grounder that skidded along the the ground. Got a glove on it, but couldn't hold on. Those are my weakness at my advance age. lol
The pitcher hit the hardest one, right at my head. Never said a word. No biggie. I never thought about retaliating. Not my style. He walked me next ab anyway. We won. it's all good. ;-)
opposing pitcher apologized twice for hitting a grounder past me the other night. I replied, "You're 6'6" and I threw a pitch on the outside corner, I deserve to get hit"

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Yeah even major players accidentally hit middle when they aren't trying to so that learn how to hit crap is just stupid talk. Accidental middle shots are going to happen no matter how much you whine but hearing someone constantly whine about it causes a lot of guys to do it on purpose, yeah its kind of douchy but than again so is your whining. If you can't deal with balls hit at you may I suggest right field or maybe catcher.