Homemade Leather Lace Skiver

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
I am a novice when it comes to relacing a glove. When needed, I have done finger tips, webs and heels ( never attempted a palm.)
Today when cleaning my old, OLD Pro-SBT, I found the Holdster finger hole lace was literally crumbling and I would need a piece of paper-thin leather lace to replace it.
What to do, what to do .......
So made myself a down-n-dirty leather lace skiver.
Took no time to make...maybe 10min......and it worked like a charm!
I know you pro relacers have your ways, but I'm kinda proud of myself (patting self on back)

LeatherLace_Skiver_1.jpg LeatherLace_Skiver_2.jpg

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I am a novice when it comes to relacing a glove. When needed, I have done finger tips, webs and heels ( never attempted a palm.)
Today when cleaning my old, OLD Pro-SBT, I found the Holdster finger hole lace was literally crumbling and I would need a piece of paper-thin leather lace to replace it.
What to do, what to do .......
So made myself a down-n-dirty leather lace skiver.
Took no time to make...maybe 10min......and it worked like a charm!
I know you pro relacers have your ways, but I'm kinda proud of myself (patting self on back)

View attachment 68992 View attachment 68993
I used an almost identical one for years before I bought a "fancy" one. -J

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
I never could get that type to work, used 1/2 diameter PVC pipe and some bolts.

Modified a spindle sander and a jig to sand over down, but made it kinda fuzzy.

Uograded to the black box type a guy in Texas was making, a gift from a friend.

Also got a handheld skiver from Japan, machined from a solid block of aluminum. Only one I’ve ever seen in use was by Nori Ito from the Haga factory when he was in Atlanta.

Whatever you use, keep your fingers safe and know you’re doing more than a lot of relace guys!

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
I pulled with one hand and fed it while pushing down with my other thumb. Wife was holding the tool box drawers shut while I did it (didn't feel like walking up the hill and using the vice in my storage bldg) She was convinced I was going to skive my thumb along with the lace (I should have walked up the hill and avoided the lecture)