How are you guys playing during the covid era?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
There is one league (not in my county) that started a few weeks ago. The county I live in is planning for Fall ball, but like some MLB players certain individuals are opting not to play. We may have a tough time getting enough teams to commit.

That sucks. Pretty much every league in the Denver area is going at this point, many of them for 6 or more weeks now. There are weekend tourny options too. Not quite the usual schedule, but there is softball to be had.

jhitman

That sucks. Pretty much every league in the Denver area is going at this point, many of them for 6 or more weeks now. There are weekend tourny options too. Not quite the usual schedule, but there is softball to be had.

That's what I'm still hoping for TW. Have been doing a lot of BP with a buddy. Got some good info and am hitting the ball better than ever. Unfortunately, no games right now to prove it in a game. Hope we can get some form of Fall ball even if it's with a reduced schedule.

JN137

Sounds like quite a few places are back to playing again. That's great, and I'm jealous. We are nowhere close, probably won't play here until 2021.

There have been some underground tourneys going on, but it's been all golf for me since March

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
That's what I'm still hoping for TW. Have been doing a lot of BP with a buddy. Got some good info and am hitting the ball better than ever. Unfortunately, no games right now to prove it in a game. Hope we can get some form of Fall ball even if it's with a reduced schedule.

Yeah, I hit tons and tons of BP early this year since there were no games going on.

I've still been hitting lately too.

jhitman

Yeah, I hit tons and tons of BP early this year since there were no games going on.

I've still been hitting lately too.

Me and a friend that plays league ball with me hit at least once a week. Then I do some on my own too. Hoping Fall ball will happen as it's looking better from what I heard this morning. Even if it's a reduced schedule better than a totally lost season.

r8dr_rider

Still been playing some sand lot and player made tourneys out here in So Cal. Even have an ump. Only issue is potential shut downs due to Karen’s calling the police.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i went out to the first tourney since March. only saw umpires wearing masks. lots of crowds and people hanging out freely. i'm betting on no fall season and things getting closed back down. MLB is already seeing outbreaks and football is right around the corner. just my thoughts though, and this was South Carolina which hasn't been dealing well to begin with.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Softball is still fine in CO. Everything is going pretty much fully. I've been playing and umping for 8 weeks now.

Some parks have random restrictions, but no one's wearing masks or being too ridiculous about anything.

I've played with a couple guys who got coronavirus. Lo and behold, they were out for a week, but came back fine. This disease is NOT worth shutting anything down over. Things aren't nearly as bad as the media is letting on.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... America will only get over this mess when they stop being afraid of this virus. Go live your lives as before. If you get sick, so what? Do what any normal person does when they get sick.... stay home and rest for a few days.

ShortYellowBus

I've said it before, and I'll say it again.... America will only get over this mess when they stop being afraid of this virus. Go live your lives as before. If you get sick, so what? Do what any normal person does when they get sick.... stay home and rest for a few days.
The problem is that not everyone lives in Colorado.

People in cities perhaps have room mates and families, who may be essential workers, such as medical professionals and grocery store workers. Those can’t stay home and won’t be paid if they get the virus.

The symptoms are not instant, so you may be umpiring games and be highly infectious to others. It takes three or fours days to have enough of the virus to test positive. Therefore, you’re unaware of the fact that you may be spreading an easily avoidable virus to people who trust you to be responsible.

In this economy, that’s in the brink of collapse; we can’t have nurses going to work infecting other nurses.

Just take a look at what’s happening in the MLB; players have mandatory COVID-19 testing daily, and even in that environment they are still infectious to others.

Yeah, they get it, and they stay home to feel better. But they’ve already affected so many others and their families. That’s what the conversation should be; clear and concise, don’t get COVID-19.

johnny fitz

Addicted to Softballfans
Softball is still fine in CO. Everything is going pretty much fully. I've been playing and umping for 8 weeks now.

Some parks have random restrictions, but no one's wearing masks or being too ridiculous about anything.

I've played with a couple guys who got coronavirus. Lo and behold, they were out for a week, but came back fine. This disease is NOT worth shutting anything down over. Things aren't nearly as bad as the media is letting on.

I’ve had 6 people on my team lose a parent or in-law. I lost 2 uncles. You are the issue.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Eduardo Rodriguez would beg to differ.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...eduardo-rodriguez-done-season-due-heart-issue

160k deaths, 10-20% of people developing myocarditis, and that's just what we know so far. I think the media Will end up being a lot more accurate than other people when all is said and done. Granted, i only watch news that quotes actual doctors.
Yeah but what do Dr's know.. hey if you get sick just stay home for one week instead of two, or until you are actually healthy :rolleyes:

Last edited:

ShortYellowBus

Did he give Covid 19 to those people? Maybe they should’ve stayed home and locked the doors

Life’s a risk carnal
“Life’s a risk“ isn’t a justification enough for causing the loss of life to hundreds of thousands of people.

And some of those who got the virus from family and health care workers did indeed get it while they stayed home and locked the doors.

The point is, don’t get Covid-19. If you don’t get it, no one around will get it from you. If we can all do that, this pandemic would’ve ended in March. It’s that simple.

Is that too much to ask?

r8dr_rider

“Life’s a risk“ isn’t a justification enough for causing the loss of life to hundreds of thousands of people.

And some of those who got the virus from family and health care workers did indeed get it while they stayed home and locked the doors.

The point is, don’t get Covid-19. If you don’t get it, no one around will get it from you. If we can all do that, this pandemic would’ve ended in March. It’s that simple.

Is that too much to ask?

Yeah it’s a lot to ask for a flu. Let’s shut the world down until there is a cure for all diseases I guess

ShortYellowBus

Yeah it’s a lot to ask for a flu. Let’s shut the world down until there is a cure for all diseases I guess
That’s weak. Next time don’t bother.

It’s not a flu. Hypothetical situation, it’s a flu.

10% of the US population is currently unemployed due to the flu. This makes you think the flu.

32 million families were not able to pay July rent, according to the government. The eviction moratorium protection has ended, and now we’re in August. This makes you think it’s still the flu.

The economy was already free falling in February, dropping nearly 10 percent in that month alone, and COVID-19 shut down the economy in March.

So you’re saying, life’s a risk suggesting we should’ve just kept working. Look up Sweden. Those people had a 40% higher risk of getting sick per capita, had a high percentage of unnecessary deaths and the economy did the same as ours; fell, never went up. What benefits did we miss out on?

And now, the US government has officially reported that the economy dropped a further 9.5% in the second quarter from where we were at the end of the first quarter; in other words after we started opening up the economy, it did worse.

Consumer confidence (foot traffic in stores) is down more than 50%. Reopening the economy in this environment (rampant homelessness, increased layoffs/joblessness) and Congress eliminating $2400 each month from the eligible jobless COVID-19 affected workers, won’t matter because people won’t go to the stores to save the businesses. They’d rather save themselves. And congress could’ve been there for the people who voted them in to office, but instead they did nothing. Remember, special interests make them rich.

And you say it’s a flu because you don’t want to know the facts. Fact is; you’re the reason this pandemic didn’t end in April like it was supposed to.

The blood of everyone is on the hands of people like you.

r8dr_rider

That’s weak. Next time don’t bother.

It’s not a flu. Hypothetical situation, it’s a flu.

10% of the US population is currently unemployed due to the flu. This makes you think the flu.

32 million families were not able to pay July rent, according to the government. The eviction moratorium protection has ended, and now we’re in August. This makes you think it’s still the flu.

The economy was already free falling in February, dropping nearly 10 percent in that month alone, and COVID-19 shut down the economy in March.

So you’re saying, life’s a risk suggesting we should’ve just kept working. Look up Sweden. Those people had a 40% higher risk of getting sick per capita, had a high percentage of unnecessary deaths and the economy did the same as ours; fell, never went up. What benefits did we miss out on?

And now, the US government has officially reported that the economy dropped a further 9.5% in the second quarter from where we were at the end of the first quarter; in other words after we started opening up the economy, it did worse.

Consumer confidence (foot traffic in stores) is down more than 50%. Reopening the economy in this environment (rampant homelessness, increased layoffs/joblessness) and Congress eliminating $2400 each month from the eligible jobless COVID-19 affected workers, won’t matter because people won’t go to the stores to save the businesses. They’d rather save themselves. And congress could’ve been there for the people who voted them in to office, but instead they did nothing. Remember, special interests make them rich.

And you say it’s a flu because you don’t want to know the facts. Fact is; you’re the reason this pandemic didn’t end in April like it was supposed to.

The blood of everyone is on the hands of people like you.

Yup it’s all my fault. And Trump too. You forgot to blame it on him, like everyone else does. You are a Karen at her finest. Probably the one that called the cops on my children playing in the park.

Stay home if you’re scared little sheep.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Yup it’s all my fault. And Trump too. You forgot to blame it on him, like everyone else does. You are a Karen at her finest. Probably the one that called the cops on my children playing in the park.

Stay home if you’re scared little sheep.

I agree. Stay home if you must, but don't rag on people who have differing opinions than you.

Some places have been hit harder than others, and people will have varying mentalities about the virus. Life has to go on. We can't all sit on our hands for an indefinite amount of time until Dr Fauci tells us things are better. We've been fed nothing but contradictions and bad data by people like him and his ilk.

Like I said, I've known a few people who've had coronavirus. It wasn't really a big deal for any of them. They got sick, went home, and got better. Now they're back playing softball again. We don't treat them like diseased toxic waste, and they don't treat us as such.

Some of you people are sitting here acting like coronavirus is just going to magically disappear if people stay home. It won't. The disease is going to be around forever, and we'll have to live with it. People have lives. They work and do all manners of other activities. Coronavirus will eventually find every nook and cranny of America. All you're doing by staying home is putting off the inevitability of catching it at some point.

kj13

Addicted to Softballfans
Everyone will catch it at some point. But huge difference in catching it today vs when we have proven treatments and maybe even a vaccine. Responsible people will do their best not to catch it NOW and cause overcrowding at hospitals just to “live free”. Freedom comes at a cost. Not going to a bar or playing softball for a year is a very small price to pay. Allow health officials to do their jobs. I would suggest people google the mutation patterns of this virus and you’ll understand why it’s serious and why we don’t have a vaccine now. Even with FDA fast tracking testing of vaccines. I hope all you guys stay safe and try to care about the guy next to them a little more. It’s not the flu guys.

ShortYellowBus

Some of you people are sitting here acting like coronavirus is just going to magically disappear if people stay home. It won't.
It’s a virus. The virus requires a living host to reproduce. If the virus reproduces beyond all living cells, it dies.

The solution is to isolate the virus by containment. Once the virus dies, it does not transfer to someone else. It stays dead.

If we all put on masks and stayed home in March and the first week of April like we were supposed to, this pandemic would’ve ended.

The people who didn’t understand kept the virus alive and unfortunately affected the lives of everyone.

If you had a chance to go back, stay home for ten days and not contact anyone, knowing that we’d be done completely with this pandemic by the second week of April, would you do it?

We would all be playing sports and working by now, safely.

All this is frustrating and the reason why is life’s a risk?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes but people are idiots and this virus is a reminder of what’s wrong with society.
The greatest trick the devil pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. As soon as people listened to a blogger who's site is licensed as an entertainment site, or they knew one person to catch a mild case we were doomed. Worldwide tribal politics have caused people to lose all perspective. R8r can't even use Karen properly.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree. Stay home if you must, but don't rag on people who have differing opinions than you.

Some places have been hit harder than others, and people will have varying mentalities about the virus. Life has to go on. We can't all sit on our hands for an indefinite amount of time until Dr Fauci tells us things are better. We've been fed nothing but contradictions and bad data by people like him and his ilk.

Like I said, I've known a few people who've had coronavirus. It wasn't really a big deal for any of them. They got sick, went home, and got better. Now they're back playing softball again. We don't treat them like diseased toxic waste, and they don't treat us as such.

Some of you people are sitting here acting like coronavirus is just going to magically disappear if people stay home. It won't. The disease is going to be around forever, and we'll have to live with it. People have lives. They work and do all manners of other activities. Coronavirus will eventually find every nook and cranny of America. All you're doing by staying home is putting off the inevitability of catching it at some point.
Whydo you get to choose who stays home and who doesn't? Why do the people that are concerned with the well being of others have to stay home while the selfish people that only care about themselves don't?

Chembry

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes but people are idiots and this virus is a reminder of what’s wrong with society.

If I thought the general public was interested in science, I would explain the data in much greater detail. However, they are only interested in politics and couldn't care less about the science.

What you are seeing played out is what we as scientists and doctors live and breathe every day. It's just not played out as publicly as it has been for COVID-19. Science and medicine isn't cut and dry or black and white. There are so many variables to account for that the general public will never understand why a study fails to prove an answer.

Someone earlier pointed out bad data. The only bad data is data that is manipulated to support a theory. That isn't how science works. Ask what happened to Andrew Wakefield. He manipulated data to support his theory that the MMR vaccines cause autism. Hundreds of studies have been published with millions of children and they all show no link between MMR and Autism. He has since lost his license to practice medicine. That is what happens when data is manipulated. I am not going to throw away 12 years of education and 6 years of industry experience to manipulate data.

Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) is not the answer. This has to be the most politicized medication ever... To date there has been several studies performed that show HCQ really has no benefit. Not even as a prophylaxis.
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeli...-recovery-trial-reports-on-hydroxychloroquine
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/06/04/hydroxychloroquine-for-avoiding-infection
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/05/22/hydroxychloroquine-enough-already
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/05/19/taking-hydroxychloroquine-may-19-update
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/05/04/hydroxychloroquine-update-may-4

To set the record straight, I am not a proponent for or against HCQ. I honestly wish it was the answer and I would be willing to bet that all scientists and doctors would agree to that statement. It's cheap and generic. However, there is a substantial risk of QT prolongation on HCQ, which could cause sudden cardiac death. This is a well known side effect of HCQ. Couple that with the known cardiovascular effects of COVID-19 and it just isn't good combination. The studies that show HCQ to be effective are restrospective analysis. There was a study published by Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. I am sure most are aware of this study. If you are not, here is the link: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1201971220305348?via=ihub This study was a retrospective analysis saying that HCQ has promise. However, if you read the details, all patients were also given dexamethasone, which has been shown to reduce mortality in COVID-19 patients!! more on that in a second. Also, in the conclusions, the authors themselves state “Our results also require further confirmation in prospective, randomized controlled trials that rigorously evaluate the safety, and efficacy of hydroxychloroquine therapy for COVID-19 in hospitalized patients.”

However, another generic medication has shown to be effective, dexamethasone.
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2021436
https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-per...dexamethasone-not-hydroxychloroquine-covid-19
https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2020/06/17/dexamethasone-for-coronavirus-infection

However, it's only effective for those in respiratory distress. What is becoming apparent is a biphasic treatment plan is necessary. At first you need an antiviral medication that will slow or shut down viral replication and entry. Then the later stages, if the patient goes into respiratory distress, which is caused by an overactive immune response, you need something to attenuate the immune system, like dexamethasone, a corticosteriod.

Masks: I am not going to go into detail. Most of the public wants to think of this as a political statement or a way for the government to take away your freedom. FYI, if you know anything about science, you wouldn't think that way. Read them or not, I really don't care, but here are several studies that show they are effective at controlling transmission:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5705692/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19522650/
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2?ContensisTextOnly=true
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7191274/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32329337/

Just remember that the virus has to be housed in a respiratory droplet or it won't survive. So the mask only has to stop a respiratory droplet to be effective.

Vaccines: I really have no idea why people are scared of vaccines. Some recent studies have shown that up to ~50% of the US wouldn't get the vaccine if one were to become available...Let me ask you do you know someone with Polio or Small Pox or Tetanus or Hepatitis B or Hepatitis A or Diphtheria? My guess is no. These viruses were pretty much eradicated solely due to vaccines. The only reason we have measles outbreaks now is because people don't get the MMR vaccine. Thank you Andrew Wakefield for that...

Vaccines are safe and effective. I personally believe that the people that are anti-vax don't understand science and don't want to take the time to understand science. Don't want to realize that all chemicals are not bad for you. FYI water is a chemical. Your body is made up of atoms of elements found on the periodic table. When combined together, they make chemicals. Proteins are amino acids linked together to form a tertiary structure...DNA is nucleic acids linked together by a ribose backbone...all of these are chemicals. The "stuff" that makes up a vaccine is innocuous and all it does is stimulate you body into making antibodies and memory cells (T-cells and B-cells) so that when you come into contact with that virus your body can do it's job.

No you are not going to get micro chipped by a vaccine. There are several fallacies in that statement alone. First, a microchip will not fit through a vaccine needle. Second, you are not that interesting that the government or anyone else needs to know your whereabouts or personal habits. That information is already available if you own a smartphone or just go shopping in public, or even if you just shop on Amazon. You would be blind to think otherwise.

COVID-19 is just the Flu: This is just a very ignorant statement. First off, we have vaccines for the flu. Second SARS-CoV-2 is much more infectious than the flu, in fact about twice as infectious. Look up the R0 values:
https://journals.lww.com/imd/fulltext/2019/09000/a_severe_seasonal_influenza_epidemic_during.4.aspx
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2762510

The lower R0 value for the flu is the reason it tends to fizzle out every year...

The death rate is much higher for COVID-19:
death rate for the H1N1 flu in 2009: 0.01-0..08% https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4045999/
death rate for Sars-CoV-2: 1.3% https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/full/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00455

In short: it is more infectious and and kills more.

Not enough? We also have a statistic that is called excess deaths. Have you heard of this? I didn't think so. We can look at the number of deaths between certain months of the year. We know that between March 1st and May 31st the US had 122,000 excess deaths this year when compared to previous years. This is actually higher than the reported COVID-19 death toll at that time which was 100,000. That is about 30% more deaths than what would be expected from a normal year. You could explain this a few ways:
1. They could all be from COVID-19. Not likely, but possible
2. Some sould be COVID-19 and the others could be not directly related to COVID-19...Meaning people were too afraid to get medical care they normally would due to fear of hospitals and COVID-19
3. Could be completely unrelated to COVID-19. Again not likely, but possible.

Here is another sobering fact. Traffic deaths and homicides were down due to the US being in quarantine.
https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/covid-19-and-excess-deaths/

If you think this is detailed, it really isn't. I really didn't dig into the details of any of the scientific data.

It is really a shame that this virus has divided the US the way it has. I honestly believe that if politics were taken out of the argument, the US would be in much better shape. Politics doesn't belong in medicine or science.

Last edited: