How did your crappiest loss happen?

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Ours was just this past Monday night.........

This is my first season coaching, and I'm taking this one pretty hard, cause you kinda feel responsible even though the whole team played the game not just you....

First game, and through the first 5 innings we had a pretty good lead, 10-1 us. We slowly started giving them runs by silly errors all over the field. We find ourselves in the bottom of the 7th at bat, down by one, 12-11

First batter up singles. The next batter hits over the SS's head in between LF and LCF, R1 advances to 3rd beating the throw, which advanced the BR to second. Here we are on 2nd and 3rd, NO outs, and the top of the lineup is up! Sweet!

Pop fly to 3b
Pop fly to 1b
Long fly out, ball game

How the eff does that happen???? I know it's not my fault, but being a coach it makes you feel more responsible than just playing the field.

ddoubler

Addicted to Softballfans
Nature of the game bro...in that situation, your hitters have to know how to play the game. You're looking for a deep fly ball at least...preferably a backside shot to hit behind the runners. As hitters, it falls on us to get it done when the pressure is on. It's easy to hit when you lead 10-1. Hitters hit when you're down by 1 with 2 outs in the inning.

Sounds like your first two guys were trying too hard to get that fly ball to the outfield and overswung/uppercutted. Those loses suck, should never not score a runner from third with nobody out in softball. I've seen it happen though with my team before, very similar loss to a team we 15 runned the first game.

RP24

Star Player
Here's a good one,
This past Monday, 7:00p game and 1st pitch is at 7:02p (games are 1 hr time limit). We had the lead the whole game, but the other teams is inching back. Bottom of 5th, they're down by 2. They get a a couple runs and tie it up and we have 1 out at this point. Blue announces we have 4 min left. Very next batter gets a hit that scores a run and blue calls game. I'm disgusted but whatever, we shake their hands, pack our stuff and exit the dugout. I just happen to check the time on my phone and what do ya know, we only played 48 minutes roughly. I address this to the umps and scorekeeper (LD wasnt there) and I was told "its close enough to an hour". I flipped out. I'm ok with losing because we got beat by a better team, but not by the employees cause "we're tired and want to go home". I called the LD the next day but she did'nt really give me the impression that it would be rectified.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
We're sitting at 9-3 right now in our league with one game left before the tourney, we're tied for second in our division. Of the 3 loses only one was to a team with a winning record.

The crappiest was a 21-15 loss to a team that is currently 6-6. They're not very good so 6-6 is actually pretty good for them. Anyway we had to pick up several guys cause 4 of our regulars couldn't make it. Just happen to be our starting SS, 3B, back-up SS (5th man), and our starting 1B. Anywho, we have a guy that's played LF for us several years now in left. For some reason he couldn't catch a cold that night. Drops 3 easy balls and misplays another for an ITP HR. So we move him to RC, were he also missed 2 more popups. One that hit him in the palm. Really strange night, we actually moved him to EH in that same game. Hasn't missed a popup since but is the regular RF now since some new additions have worked out. Anywho between the LF having a bad night and our 3b and SS not fielding a single ball we spotted this team probably 15 runs just on errors. It was extremely frustrating. Hopefully we'll get them at full strength in the tourney.

PPC#12

Manager
Ill play. More of a way of ending an entire tourny but still...

Last year E states. Go 3-0 Saturday. Come back Sunday to lose to a favored team in a low scoring 8-7 game. Which puts us up against another good local team we see a lot.

We start the game first two batters getting on. Third batter hits an inning ending HR. Second inning...lead off inning ending HR. Third inning... Lead off inning ending HR (me)..fourth inning couple base hits but no runs. Fifth inning starts off with a base hit or two don't remember exactly.. Our 3 hole batter hits a second inning ender to end the game. We lose 10-0 lol.

You'd think we would have learned the first time it happened but that was our first game on this feild and the wind was blowin out hard and just couldn't keep it down. Either way it was awful and embarrassing.

oilslick58

Addicted to Softballfans
Combat tourney.....2010
Sponsored team made it to sunday undefeated. Half the team got wasted late Saturday and we had to forfeit the Championship game due to only having 8 players.
Still burns my bacon, and the reason I will not coach again.......maybe

Had a co-ed team get run-rulled every game but one of a season...that sucked

ichiromoco

Addicted to Softballfans
Lg championship.

We are visitors. Up 14 going into bot 5.
Opponent scores 24 with zero outs. All hits.

Alrighty then.

lilhoff

Coach
About 10 years ago, had an open field and played open innings with no mercy rule after 5, still on time limit. We were up 9-0 in the 6th and score a couple, hold them in the bottom. Seventh inning we bat through a couple times and make it 27-0. They come up in the bottom and rack up 28 to win. All clean hits that either rolled forever or dropped in front. Never made an out and they never hit one on the infield the whole inning. Was incredible to watch the hitting display that came from no where, but sucked to be on the other end of it. What I remember most was the constant ping off the old super cells and power domes.

-Six-

Weiner
yup mine was kind of like that. but it was round robin round of a tournament. we got a top seed team on a short porch field. usually works to our favor. not this time. base shots station to station for 32 runs in the first inning. they finally got bored i think and let us get up to bat once. game was called in the second inning and they were still hitting.... lol. never seen anything like that before or since.

ns09

Addicted to Softballfans
One of the first years I played. We were In a tourney playing Friday night. In the 5th inning we were up 13-1. In the middle of the other team (home teams) ab, It starts down pouring. rain delay. We come back from the rain delay and they walked it off on us with a 28-13 win by mercy

p17

SBFs 16th all time poster
one time we had a slugfest of a game. were were tied 19-19 after two innings. then we proceeded to get outscored 31-0 the rest of the game. that was awesome

huzzdog

retired
in a usssa world tournament both teams 3-0 playing on saturday night.. bout 50 people i know watching the game. bases loaded bottom of the 7th, tie game, one out. i come up a need a sac fly to win.. i hit a one bouncer to 3rd.. double play. go out to pitch the top of the 8th and give up 10 runs.. we lose

TonyB

Addicted to Softballfans
Half of our players had been crying about the way the team was being run all season long. At the end of the season, our coach told them that if they thought they could do any better, they could run the team. One of them took over for the last game, and we were beating the worst team in the league (0-7 at that point) by about 8 runs. Then, going into the last inning, they decided to switch up the defense. The third baseman went to left center, the catcher went to SS, the right fielder went to third. Nobody was playing anywhere they'd normally play. We gave up about 12 runs on a few hits and a lot of errors, and got shut out in the bottom of the inning.

edvedsfb

Addicted to Softballfans
Half of our players had been crying about the way the team was being run all season long. At the end of the season, our coach told them that if they thought they could do any better, they could run the team. One of them took over for the last game, and we were beating the worst team in the league (0-7 at that point) by about 8 runs. Then, going into the last inning, they decided to switch up the defense. The third baseman went to left center, the catcher went to SS, the right fielder went to third. Nobody was playing anywhere they'd normally play. We gave up about 12 runs on a few hits and a lot of errors, and got shut out in the bottom of the inning.

Switching the defense can be fun but only up 8? What a terrible idea. We normally don't do it unless we're up 15-20.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
We went back and forth one game, and ended up down by one in bottom 7, bases loaded, no outs, but we'd used all our HR's. Grounder to short, force out at home. Okay, bases loaded and one out now. Next guy hits HRO. Guy after that hits HRO. Game over.

I don't know if that's worse, or what happened last week. We were up by 10 and got rolled for 17 runs in one inning. No errors, just clean base hits. That'll take the wind outta your sails.

CFD94

The Veteran
Just this last Sat in the championship we lost 32-26. Our fifth game in a row. We are home, they score 10 in the first. We scored 2. Second inning they score 6. We scored 2. So down 16-4 going into the 3rd. Go into the 5th up 17-16. Go into the top of the 7th up down 22-23. They run off 9 runs off base hits. We lose 32-26.

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Bottom of seventh, bases loaded, down by 3. Left field is pretty short, about 250 ft with a 60+ ft high fence. Hit into the fence is a home run, if it goes over the fence & you are both out and ejected from the game. Our cleanup batter hits a shot into the top of the fence that rolls rolls up and over it, batter out. Game ending grand slam

Same guy next week, batting in the 3 spot in the 1st inning puts it 10 feet over the same fence and is ejected from the game. We only had 9 to start so that leaves 8 on the field & we have to forfeit.

LaserArm

Addicted to Softballfans
A good coach would make them run laps. Then do basehitting drills the next day at practice. Have them hit off of a tee. Hit fungo at them to strengthen up their defensive skills.

Oh.... you probably didn't mean "Coaching"

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
In league DBO's a progressive runs against. Tie ball game two outs, clocks expired, runners on 1st and 3rd. Batter hits a no doubter DBO walk off for the other team.

bfn18

Addicted to Softballfans
Up 13 in the last inning, we are away so all we need to do is hold them. They score 14 to win the championship game. They scored 8 of them with 2 outs too.

Captain10

E skills playing D Ball
I was on the winning end of one where the other team was chasing 1 in the bottom of the 7th and loads the bases with no outs and 2,3,4 of the lineup coming up. HR for an out, pop up to the catcher, an absolute seed hit in my direction at short and I jumped up and snapped it off. Good way to win for us, crappy loss for the other team...

Chimpy

Star Player
Our crappiest loss was last night on my company team. It's a new team this year and it's 80% people who've never played so most of the outfield and almost all the infield are free zones. We lost 25-1 but it's cool, the people are just out there to play and have fun. But we keep stats, I can't even show them to anyone because there only 4 people with actual batting averages lol.

nissben

Freakin Ninja
Going into the final half of the inning, championship game, up 8...pitcher walks five batters give or take, then shortstop misses a pop fly right to him, and then a few batters later the RF misses one right him...they came back to beat us...miserable day

TheKid33

Star Player
I've played for many a crappy loss.. Especially my first year playing.. When you only win 1 game, every loss by less than 5 feels way worse than getting blown out though.. Just my opinion.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Visiting team, up by 8 in the bottom of the 7th. Home team gets two quick outs, no runs. They end up loading the bases and have 1 homerun left to use. Batter swings out of his shoes and uppercuts a ball to the track in left. Our left fielder (solid outfielder and fastest guy on the team) backpeddled and positioned himself for the easy catch. Caught it 2' from the fence, took one more step back, hit his middle back on the top of the fence, and dropped the ball over. Four base award, 4 runs. The other team is amped now, but they still need 4 runs to tie and have two outs. Next two batters reach, then a 3 run hr, which counts because of the four base award. Next five batters hit untouchable linedrive singles to take the game.

MURDA7

Death By VOLT.....!!
I have 2 that still stick in my head.......#1 was when I was just getting into the Tourney Circuit and traveling. Took a ROAD trip out OH and the weather for he weekend was iffffyyy. Open up against this team wearing purple and orange and didn't look like much from the other side. We come out the gate and put up 8-10 and the hooting and hollering start. Well it sure got quiet quick The Purple and orange came out blazing (Kelly's Welding)..!!! These boys put on a show put up 30 real quick, and the moral of the story is coach made them switch up batting and still continued to pour it on. After that beating the skies opened up and never stopped raining..Tourney over thanks for coming to OH...!! Worst beating ever for me..!!

2nd was at a local charity tourney and these guys were a powerhouse. Short and sweet 46-3 with 1 out in the top of 2nd. Thank god for the run rule...!!