How does one measure the barrel of a softball bat for an official length?

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Probably the flat (non tapered) part of the barrel. Any part of the taper is not counted as barrel length.

lukeamdman

Probably the flat (non tapered) part of the barrel. Any part of the taper is not counted as barrel length.
I've measured that on all these bats and not only are the lengths of the flat area not even close to listed barrel length, manufacturer to manufacturer it's like opposite day. There's no rhyme or reason.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over

138ba0c12bc2a957115ec8127a29b3fa.jpg

%%%

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
It should be from the end of the barrel to the beginning of the taper. If it doesn’t measure right then they’re just making specs. I’m going to measure my Anarchy bats because they say 12 but look and swing like 10’s.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
It should be from the end of the barrel to the beginning of the taper. If it doesn’t measure right then they’re just making specs. I’m going to measure my Anarchy bats because they say 12 but look and swing like 10’s.

You ever seen a Bubba Club? That's a true 10" barrel. It looks tiny compared to an Anarchy 12".

Slightly off topic, but I love a shorter barrel bat. It puts the sweetspot out toward the end more. You have less sweetspot to work with, but you get more than amply rewarded when you find it.