Any How Many Ejections have you had?

So when i did baseball i had about three more auguring over balls and strikes both cases. 3 been thrown out two different games and cities town (babe ruth/calripken)

Babe ruth Softball rec ball only... I had to throw child out for making contact on purpose with catcher. Look like she did at second but i couldn't fully tell.

The other was a rec 9-10 year old game. On ball four coach pitch Visiting team is ahead by one run, there are two outs he has his infielders back up. its ball 4 so coach is pitching. the Third Base coach calls time to speak to batter. Tell her to Bunt (i knew what she was doing when she was talking to her) Coach pitchs she Bunts. visit coach argues over it. I get his point however the rules state nothing that you cannot bunt when coach pitch. So therefore the rule play legal. He said these words BS i toss him i do not tolerate that at that type of level.

More to above story. (sorry if hard to read please tell me if i need to fix anything i do my best)

I get Message from one of coaches asking if i saw any punches going on. there only one of us so i was more focus on play. One i heard the wife of the eject coach came onto field. I didn't see this at all. if this did happen this horrible bad on my part. 2. i had to tell ejection coach to get away from field after he was ejected he should of left field but he was behind the fence when i was cleaning the plate. told he had to go. (At this point i should of forfeit for the other team for this alone) I wasn't thinking that time, i was shaking a bit still ( i wasn't nervous or anything not sure why i was) hard tag a third bang bang play called her out. game ended in a tie. i told the coach that she can reach out to other league and talk to them about her concern as i didn't catch any of it. (guess open can of warms) Not sure what happen i just head other umpire talk about my ejection.
Issue reading?
So i have dlyesixa and i confuses way to much grammar i try to sound it out and put the right words were i think they should go. I really don't get , ; : however i am sure there more. i also have whats called chromosome 18 ring disorder which means it takes me longer to learn things and when born missing part of ring. I was blue when i was born and i was early. I can drive, I can Umpire, I can work, put my clothes on. Other people who have what i have could have it worst where they can't dress themsevels and they can't do anything for themsleves so i am very please what i got.

thanks guys.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I prefer not to talk about ejections here. It might come across as bragging.

I will say this, though... I don't go looking for ejections, but when I have no other option, I don't shy away from them.

Never kept count, it is not a statistic over which is worth worrying. Never looked for one, but never shied away when it was deserved.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've umped slowpitch for about 9 years now. In that time I figure I've had maybe 10 ejections. I average maybe 1 a year. I'm not out looking to eject guys and will generally give them the benefit of the doubt.

Most ejections I've had were for drunken, loutish behavior toward me or the other team. A few other ejections were for needless pushing/shoving or really dirty slides into bases. Had a couple full on brawls. No one was really hurt in either of them, but both resulted in double forfeits. 2 ejections were for guys who were simply too drunk to play and were an obvious danger to themselves or the other team. It wasn't really a punitive thing, I just wanted them off the field so no one got hurt.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
I've kind of loosely kept track of ejections over the years. One time I figured that I averaged about one ejection every 40 games, so usually about two to three a year.

Last year I had three in one game and this year I zero (must be getting soft...)! So maybe the last two years are outliers...but they still average out to two a season.

Stump

Addicted to Softballfans
As an umpire I have only had two ejections. First was malicious contact at the plate in a high school fast pitch game. Second one was an easy slow pitch ejection for verbal abuse by a drunk ballplayer toward an opponent. I have had to call site directors over to control spectators in youth summer tournaments a few times after approaching the coach.

As a player, I have been ejected once in a somewhat humorous story. Memorial Day men's fast pitch tournament that was rain delayed into Monday. We are getting throttled in the Championship game, however we are still having fun as the other team was a good group of guys. Our batter is called out on a questionable check swing. Someone in our dugout jokes that the umpires had to get to the family barbeque. Umpire then warns our bench that any other chatter and he will throw out (and counts) 1 . . . 2 . . .3 . . .4 of us so we have to forfeit. Another loudmouth in our dugout yells "Why does it matter, games over anyway" Umpire then ejects the batter, me on the on deck circle and our base coaches to make his four ejections and begins to walk off the field. Everybody is just standing there and I (as the manager) walk up to him and tell him that I have eligible subs still on the line up card and that we can continue to play. He continues to walk off. Tournament director comes down to apologize. No feelings were hurt on our team, we were all just in amazement as it was out of nowhere, nor really warranted with the tone of the game.

Still see that umpire at almost every tournament we attend and he jokes about it as well. Oh well, we still get a laugh out of it to this day.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I was once ejected from a tourny by an ump who was doing a piss-poor job and making bad call after bad call. I'd finally had enough and used some colorful language and told the guy what I thought of his umping job. I deserved to be ejected for that, but it turned out the guy was umping while drunk and got fired that day for doing so.

He was one of the worst umps I'd ever seen. Confrontational/****ish too.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i've been offensively ejected playing e tournaments. too strong you know?

I've really only witnessed a few actual ejections in my 18 or so years of playing softball. I've seen more at little league games with parents getting tossed than anything. its ridiculous.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
i've been offensively ejected playing e tournaments. too strong you know?

I've really only witnessed a few actual ejections in my 18 or so years of playing softball. I've seen more at little league games with parents getting tossed than anything. its ridiculous.

When I was coaching, I would have a parents meeting before the first practice. Would always give my "Don't act a fool" speech. Explained to them, I wasn't going to tolerate any fans from our team bad mouthing the other team, the other teams parents, ANY kid on the field, or the umpires. Told them they could cheer as loud as they wanted for either team, but we weren't going to be screaming from the stands. Never really had a problem.

As an umpire, after six years had my first player ejection in a High School FP game this year (probably gave a coach a little too much rope two years ago ), and have only tossed a couple of guys in over ten years of slowpitch. Our local guys behave pretty well for the most part, we will usually only have 1 or 2 a summer.

Our fall league rules help, you get tossed from a game, you are done for the season.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
For some reason I picture Emily Litella posting this question, to which my answer is "more than I can count."

I was once ejected from a tourny by an ump who was doing a piss-poor job and making bad call after bad call. I'd finally had enough and used some colorful language and told the guy what I thought of his umping job. I deserved to be ejected for that, but it turned out the guy was umping while drunk and got fired that day for doing so.

He was one of the worst umps I'd ever seen. Confrontational/****ish too.
We had a game once where the ump called a hit toward 3rd base that hit the dugout a fair ball..
The ump was drunk and he threaten all of us that he would kick us out if we said anything else about it...

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
a guy i've played with forever reminded me of a time when i as the ump ejected myself from a game.

An ump didn't show up for our end of league tourney. We lost the first round game and were done so i talked with the other ump and instead of canceling i told him i'd ump the 2 games on the other field. I told these jabroni's that i'm probably going to get calls wrong but would do my best and both teams were like we get it. 1 game down, no issue, 2nd game, this one guy on one of the teams complained about a bang bang play at first (he was 1st base coach). maybe i was wrong maybe i wasn't who knows. then he complained about a ball/strike call. I finally was like listen guy, i dont' have to be here, i can walk away and you can fend for yourselves. I told his coach to shut his ass up and his coach is like sorry. well this same idiot in like the 3rd inning comes around 3rd and is dead to rights with the catcher just sitting there holding the ball 4 steps before he gets there and he slides and is tagged out and goes insane saying he got under the tag. now the rest of his team is going crazy too. I just packed up my **** and left.

Country469

Me and stretch19 were at a big ass (over120 teams) charity even back in like 2011 and watched a paid ump walk off the filed like that cuz he'd had enough

I've umped slowpitch for about 9 years now. In that time I figure I've had maybe 10 ejections. I average maybe 1 a year. I'm not out looking to eject guys and will generally give them the benefit of the doubt.

Most ejections I've had were for drunken, loutish behavior toward me or the other team. A few other ejections were for needless pushing/shoving or really dirty slides into bases. Had a couple full on brawls. No one was really hurt in either of them, but both resulted in double forfeits. 2 ejections were for guys who were simply too drunk to play and were an obvious danger to themselves or the other team. It wasn't really a punitive thing, I just wanted them off the field so no one got hurt.

When i was doing slow pitch softball got paid 30 a game mind you i am travel 15-20 minutes away. and check won't be sent till every week. I walk of the field one my games they had meeting with director and said anything us umpire said goes. I never faulted the other team they behave themselves. I have fully stop supporting this rec/youth ball as i was getting paid forty a game for the 10u than he paying 30 so he going down not up. other towns around him pay 50-45 huge difference

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
When i was doing slow pitch softball got paid 30 a game mind you i am travel 15-20 minutes away. and check won't be sent till every week. I walk of the field one my games they had meeting with director and said anything us umpire said goes. I never faulted the other team they behave themselves. I have fully stop supporting this rec/youth ball as i was getting paid forty a game for the 10u than he paying 30 so he going down not up. other towns around him pay 50-45 huge difference

Green, not blue

hitsone

Well I took my umping card many years ago, Mainly to learn the rules completely as I was coaching co-ed. Never have I ejected anyone. But then I have never had anyone give me a personal attack. Eg You're F>>>>> blind. I have found that taking names and numbers will quiet a team down. When told I could go ahead and eject him I replied that I was just taking notes for the play offs as there was no point in ejecting someone in a meaningless league game.
We lost a provincial championship once when the ump called a strike 3 on my stat SS when the pitch hit him in the foot, nowhere near over the plate. SS reacted, was ejected leaving us a player short, game over. So I learned that sometimes it is not fair to the whole team to suffer for the reactions of a single player. It will have to be really bad before I toss anyone, but I will if needed

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Well I took my umping card many years ago, Mainly to learn the rules completely as I was coaching co-ed. Never have I ejected anyone. But then I have never had anyone give me a personal attack. Eg You're F>>>>> blind. I have found that taking names and numbers will quiet a team down. When told I could go ahead and eject him I replied that I was just taking notes for the play offs as there was no point in ejecting someone in a meaningless league game.

And that isn't proper. It is a game control act and should be applied when appropriate regardless of the level or importance of a particular game. An umpire should apply any disciplinary action when it dictates and it is done. Attitudes and effect should never go beyond that game. You are also not doing your fellow umpires any favors by allowing inappropriate actions to occur without the appropriate repercussion.

We lost a provincial championship once when the ump called a strike 3 on my stat SS when the pitch hit him in the foot, nowhere near over the plate. SS reacted, was ejected leaving us a player short, game over. So I learned that sometimes it is not fair to the whole team to suffer for the reactions of a single player. It will have to be really bad before I toss anyone, but I will if needed

That is exactly what should happen. If the coach and teammates cannot control a player, that is their issue, not the umpire's

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
And that isn't proper. It is a game control act and should be applied when appropriate regardless of the level or importance of a particular game. An umpire should apply any disciplinary action when it dictates and it is done. Attitudes and effect should never go beyond that game. You are also not doing your fellow umpires any favors by allowing inappropriate actions to occur without the appropriate repercussion.

That is exactly what should happen. If the coach and teammates cannot control a player, that is their issue, not the umpire's

I agree with this. Like I said, I'm not out looking to toss guys. However, I'm definitely not afraid to if I feel someone's behavior warrants it. If you start NOT ejecting guys for bad behavior they'll start walking all over you as an ump and you will basically lose any vestige of authority on the field. No umpire should be seen as soft or unwilling to take action when necessary.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I agree with this. Like I said, I'm not out looking to toss guys. However, I'm definitely not afraid to if I feel someone's behavior warrants it. If you start NOT ejecting guys for bad behavior they'll start walking all over you as an ump and you will basically lose any vestige of authority on the field. No umpire should be seen as soft or unwilling to take action when necessary.
Agreed. I've heard too many umpires use the phrase "keeping him in the game" when referring to a coach or player. It's not my responsibility to keep anyone in the game. You're adults, and I'm not your father. It is your own personal responsibility to keep yourself in the game, not mine.

And when you demonstrate that you aren't able to do so, I simply let you know when that time's come for you to leave. "Keeping someone in the game" only prolongs the abuse, and we're not here to be abused.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Anytime I hear an umpire speak with pride over how they've "never tossed anyone in X number of years," my immediate thought is "doormat."

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Anytime I hear an umpire speak with pride over how they've "never tossed anyone in X number of years," my immediate thought is "doormat."

Either that or they command enough respect that it never gets to the point where an ejection is warranted. But to get to that point, an ump usually needs to make a few ejections early in their career.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Either that or they command enough respect that it never gets to the point where an ejection is warranted. But to get to that point, an ump usually needs to make a few ejections early in their career.

Its easy to say this, but occasionally you'll run into team(s) who don't know you as an ump and don't really care how long you've umped or how much respect you've garnered over the years. Said teams will be confrontational and look for reasons to irritate you as an ump. No matter who you are, where you ump, or how long you've been umping, you'll sometimes just run into a team who cares more about causing problems on the field than actually playing the game properly.

The great majority of ejections I've had as an umpire were from teams that were new to the league or didn't know who I was. I agree that having respect as an ump among players will get you a long way, but sometimes you'll run into situations where ejecting someone is the only way forward.

Ejecting one guy on a troublesome team USUALLY quiets things down and lets everyone know you you're done taking crap from players.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
When calling league/rec ball, sure. Most teams around here know me and where my limits are, and I very rarely ever have to eject anyone. The majority of my ejections over the last 10 years were more rule-based than conduct-based.

But TWmccoy hit the nail on the head - some teams come into the game looking to start stuff, and there's only so much an umpire can do to stop that trainwreck.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
When calling league/rec ball, sure. Most teams around here know me and where my limits are, and I very rarely ever have to eject anyone. The majority of my ejections over the last 10 years were more rule-based than conduct-based.

But TWmccoy hit the nail on the head - some teams come into the game looking to start stuff, and there's only so much an umpire can do to stop that trainwreck.

Occasionally I'll see a team who simply has a short fuse. You make one call that doesn't go their way and they automatically assume you're against them or don't like them. They start getting chirpy and things can slowly (or quickly) spiral downward. I'll attribute at least some of this to today's millennial mindset that everyone is special and everyone should get their way.

The typical cases for me are the worst teams in the league(s). They come out and lose every week and look for ways I hosed them out of a game. Thing is, it doesn't matter what calls I make (or don't make), these teams get frustrated at losing every week and take their angst out on me.

Stump

Addicted to Softballfans
Occasionally I'll see a team who simply has a short fuse. You make one call that doesn't go their way and they automatically assume you're against them or don't like them. They start getting chirpy and things can slowly (or quickly) spiral downward. I'll attribute at least some of this to today's millennial mindset that everyone is special and everyone should get their way.

The typical cases for me are the worst teams in the league(s). They come out and lose every week and look for ways I hosed them out of a game. Thing is, it doesn't matter what calls I make (or don't make), these teams get frustrated at losing every week and take their angst out on me.

I've managed leagues and tournaments for the better part of 17 years and the bottom dwelling teams are the WORST. A few years back, I had a team go 0-20 in league and no games were even close. Mind you this was in an F League (Michigan has Class F). Every game was a **** show, players arguing amongst themselves, at the umpire, etc.

Received a phone call one day from the manager complaining about the umpire and how they never wanted to see him again, he was the worst, biased, bad attitude and didn't know the rules, etc. I check the schedule and it turns out that the umpire in question was a Hall of Famer and likely top 10 in the state at the time despite his age. The team was pissed because he called out three consecutive batters for looking at strikes.

Funny thing is, that team is still around, still playing (though they jump to different leagues in the area), and still are well below average.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've managed leagues and tournaments for the better part of 17 years and the bottom dwelling teams are the WORST. A few years back, I had a team go 0-20 in league and no games were even close. Mind you this was in an F League (Michigan has Class F). Every game was a **** show, players arguing amongst themselves, at the umpire, etc.

Received a phone call one day from the manager complaining about the umpire and how they never wanted to see him again, he was the worst, biased, bad attitude and didn't know the rules, etc. I check the schedule and it turns out that the umpire in question was a Hall of Famer and likely top 10 in the state at the time despite his age. The team was pissed because he called out three consecutive batters for looking at strikes.

Funny thing is, that team is still around, still playing (though they jump to different leagues in the area), and still are well below average.

Yep, if you ump long enough you'll see stuff like this. In any league I do there's usually 1 or 2 cellar-dwelling teams that can't do anything right. As the losses mount, the frustration on their part grows. A team that gave me some guff a week ago (0-4) decided to no-show tonight. Granted it was about 38 degrees, but it didn't inconvenience me any.

Oh, and I love the teams that wear out their welcome at certain parks and have to jump leagues every season.

RNRPLZ

I prefer not to talk about ejections here. It might come across as bragging.

I will say this, though... I don't go looking for ejections, but when I have no other option, I don't shy away from them.
I respect that answer sir and we all should take footnotes from him. Passive resistance is best policy. If they come to your face, continue to stay to their side. If it don’t cease they should be gone.