How many mistakes are unacceptable?

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
I noticed that people are judged in softball. Its part of human nature. Some people are allowed to screw up multiple times while others might miss 1 ball and get pulled so how many inaccurate throws, mis hits, errors, etc are acceptable for a player to still be considered "good"?

shawn400ft

Retired Army Vet
It usually depends on how much the individual is contributing to losing the game. If you are up by 20, and a guy keeps hitting people in the bleachers behind first, who cares? At least it's funny

Hacksaw34

Addicted to Softballfans
This is all dependent on the situation. I think errors are more acceptable when you are up by 20 than when you are in a close ball game. It is more important how well a player does while under pressure.

wink

Winkleton
3. first 2.....go like this.
1 error - eeeh, make up for it on the next one.
2nd error - hey ****tard miss another and we have someone else to replace you.
3rd - you suck, sit down.

Lord7

Banned User
I manage a coed team, so hot girls are going to more chances than the others. I have two lesbians than can hit as good as most of the men, so I also give them more chances. I'd never pull someone during an inning though, other than a pitcher and it would take a lot to get me to do that. I'm not out there to humiliate anyone other than the other team.

wink

Winkleton
I manage a coed team, so hot girls are going to more chances than the others. I have two lesbians than can hit as good as most of the men, so I also give them more chances. I'd never pull someone during an inning though, other than a pitcher and it would take a lot to get me to do that. I'm not out there to humiliate anyone other than the other team.

2nd this. :)

deuce0419

The Veteran
My opinion is it depends on how many errors are made compared to how many attempts. For example, a ss will have more balls hit to him than anyone in the IF, so he might miss 3 of 20 while your 2B misses 2 of 8. Id rather be the guy who misses 3 of 20 than 2 of 8.

Also, it depends on the type of error hes making. Routine ball? Tough play? Throwing error? If it feels like the guy is making mistakes more than he is worth, he's got to go.

GrizcoN

The Rookie
I would say one every five games. Which is usually twice a season for league. Everyone has a bad day here or there. I single handly lost my teams last game last season with the only two errors all season. I felt like a complete d-bag for letting our team down by missing a bloop single that was hit shallow outfield tipped off my glove then as I was still running foward I booted the ball with two outs and winning run on second and tieing run on third.

jstrong

They love to hate me
3. first 2.....go like this.
1 error - eeeh, make up for it on the next one.
2nd error - hey ****tard miss another and we have someone else to replace you.
3rd - you suck, sit down.

This is a good rule of thumb.

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
I made 4 errors playing thrif the other night (not my normal spot) but no one complained cause I hit 3 triples

jstrong

They love to hate me
I would say one every five games. Which is usually twice a season for league. Everyone has a bad day here or there. I single handly lost my teams last game last season with the only two errors all season. I felt like a complete d-bag for letting our team down by missing a bloop single that was hit shallow outfield tipped off my glove then as I was still running foward I booted the ball with two outs and winning run on second and tieing run on third.

2 errors all season is probably better than anyone on here.

joeytown008

Manager
This is all dependent on the situation. I think errors are more acceptable when you are up by 20 than when you are in a close ball game. It is more important how well a player does while under pressure.

Agreed. I think if someone is constantly messing up in key situations defensively, you gotta strongly consider moving them or replacing them. That can be a killer in tourney ball! I know I had one of these episodes one weekend. I generally play SS and I couldn't make a throw to save my life, so they moved me to 2nd and I didn't have a problem the rest of the weekend. I chose to stay at 2nd on Sunday just in case I still had a case of the Knoblauch's still going. But after that tourney I was right back at SS. You never know what is going on with a guy, personal problems, wife is trying to kill him in his sleep or sleeping with a teammate, not that I would know but ya just never know!

DingDinger23

Star Player
i noticed that people are judged in softball. Its part of human nature. Some people are allowed to screw up multiple times while others might miss 1 ball and get pulled so how many inaccurate throws, mis hits, errors, etc are acceptable for a player to still be considered "good"?

3-20

deuce0419

The Veteran
For the record, his question was whether or not you are considered good, not if you whould be pulled. 0-10/20 is awful; 11-15/20 is average; 15-17/20 is good; 18-20/20 is great.

Original Donkey

Older, yet still fast
Infield or outfield? If your outfielder makes errors, like more than 5 per season, C Ya

Infielders have to deal with 9:30 games on fields that dont get raked.

second2noone

I think it depends on the player and how the team is doing. If you know the guys a good player, he gets a longer leash than someone who's not that good. Also, someone who sucks who thinks they're good, pretty much one error and they're on the bench.

deuce0419

The Veteran
I think it depends on the player and how the team is doing. If you know the guys a good player, he gets a longer leash than someone who's not that good. Also, someone who sucks who thinks they're good, pretty much one error and they're on the bench.

Agreed, personality wins you an error or 2 :D

joeytown008

Manager

I almost single handedly let a team comeback by throwing a ball away to 2nd and then 3 more errors on throws to 1st that inning! They got me out of that inning to settle me down but then I moved to second and our MF took over for the weekend, but I haven't had that issue since!

Infield or outfield? If your outfielder makes errors, like more than 5 per season, C Ya

Infielders have to deal with 9:30 games on fields that dont get raked.

True story! Some of these fields can be brutal come the 4th or 5th game of the night!

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
6/10 is average. not good.

For me I was pissed. It wasn't my team and I asked to move me to C cause I wasn't helping the situation any. But I was the best option on tag team. On my team I wouldn't even be the top 5 3rd basemen.

Torqd

On here way to much
I think it all depends on position. Outfielders, 1st and 2nd should not make near as many errors as say ss or 3rd. Balls are hit a lot harder and they see more action. I might be biased though as I play ss. :D

Lord7

Banned User
For me I was pissed. It wasn't my team and I asked to move me to C cause I wasn't helping the situation any. But I was the best option on tag team. On my team I wouldn't even be the top 5 3rd basemen.

Tag team? I'm not familiar with this in a softball setting. I know it from my college days, as well as a youngster watching wwf.