How many mistakes are unacceptable?

dvs20

Addicted to Softballfans
I play SS and always seem to miss the easiest ball ever, I usually have 1 E a game and it will be the slow roller right between the wickets

GrizcoN

The Rookie
You are just so modest aren't you?

Two errors a season for me in the outfield is average but all in one play...come on. If it is within range of a outfielder there is no reason not to field the ball cleanly. I don't have a good arm so I always hit the cut off. I did gun down two runners at home from rc in the same game once and that is the highlight of my throwing game two years ago. I would have to agree that 3rd and SS should get more room for the margin of error. They don't call it the hot corner for no reason.

Hand of Mercy

^The White Devil^
I play C and you HAVE to make your routine plays on the infield and if you touch it in the outfield you have to catch it. That being said, mix in a exceptional play here and there and thats kinda what expected. Everyone makes mistakes though and it depends on what those mistakes cost you. If you have someone who looks like they are struggling then chances are whoever you are playing is just gonna light them up. Case by case scenario imo. I would think if your guys have proved themselves to be a good ball player and have an off game or two, I say let them work it out, a good player will. It can do more harm in the long run to just yank someone without giving them a reasonable chance to pick themselves back up.

GrizcoN

The Rookie
I play C and you HAVE to make your routine plays on the infield and if you touch it in the outfield you have to catch it. That being said, mix in a exceptional play here and there and thats kinda what expected. Everyone makes mistakes though and it depends on what those mistakes cost you. If you have someone who looks like they are struggling then chances are whoever you are playing is just gonna light them up. Case by case scenario imo. I would think if your guys have proved themselves to be a good ball player and have an off game or two, I say let them work it out, a good player will. It can do more harm in the long run to just yank someone without giving them a reasonable chance to pick themselves back up.

I agree with not pulling someone if they make one error. The manager of my Wen league team did this to me two years ago because someone went deep on me (we play no fences all you can get). Then putting himself at lc and missed multiple flyballs hit to him. After the first two he missed I started calling him out by fielding his flyballs hit to him. It was worth the extra effort of wheeling over to his area.

Last edited:

SuperSurgeMC

Part Time Player
As hard as the infielders get balls hit at them, I see any plays they make as found money. OF should catch anything the can get their glove on.
( I am LF) JMO

joeytown008

Manager
As hard as the infielders get balls hit at them, I see any plays they make as found money. OF should catch anything the can get their glove on.
( I am LF) JMO

Thank you for that! I hate when outfielders say "come on you gotta get in front of that" or "I could had that one!" If it's so damn easy why are you out there and I'm in here? Cause I can damn sure play the outfield too but you don't hear me pissing and moaning about how it's so easy to hit a cut off man or to field a ball rolling in the grass!

GrizcoN

The Rookie
Thank you for that! I hate when outfielders say "come on you gotta get in front of that" or "I could had that one!" If it's so damn easy why are you out there and I'm in here? Cause I can damn sure play the outfield too but you don't hear me pissing and moaning about how it's so easy to hit a cut off man or to field a ball rolling in the grass!

Exactly to the point.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe you should be giving them ish then...IJS.

coolluvr4u1976

#1 bomb dropper
I've been pulled from a position once,,,, i seriously had the worst fielding day ever!! I do somewhat blame the sun, since it was right behind homeplate during the game....

But playing 2nd, I had 3 or 4 balls go off the heel of my glove... so i get switched to RC, and fielding something in the air, even with sunglass's was impossible... had 2 line shots right at me, that i loose in the sun and nearly takes my head off......

But on the flip side,,,,,, our whole team had probably the worst day of our life fielding for that year.....

On the plus side, in the same game, i did go 4 for 4 lol........

spos21ram

The Legend
Depends on a few things. Like people have mentioned already the amount of attempts you field a ball will affect this. But it's also how good you have been in the past. If you have been an awesome short stop your whole life and for some reason you go 5 games in a row with a few errors, i don't think you're going to get pulled out of the game. If you are new to the area and on a new team and they know nothing about you and u make multiple errors in 5 straight games they are going to think you suck even if you are really good and are just having a bad stretch. It also depends on how well you hit the ball. If a guy is hitting .800 but makes some errors I'd be ok with his sub-par fielding.

berglin11

Addicted to Softballfans
I manage a coed team, so hot girls are going to more chances than the others. I have two lesbians than can hit as good as most of the men, so I also give them more chances. I'd never pull someone during an inning though, other than a pitcher and it would take a lot to get me to do that. I'm not out there to humiliate anyone other than the other team.

well put !

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
I noticed that people are judged in softball. Its part of human nature. Some people are allowed to screw up multiple times while others might miss 1 ball and get pulled so how many inaccurate throws, mis hits, errors, etc are acceptable for a player to still be considered "good"?

If you're not losing the game and you're dropping bombs, hitting pissles and blowing up middle, you usually get a pass on defense.

dgambill85

Banned User
3. first 2.....go like this.
1 error - eeeh, make up for it on the next one.
2nd error - hey ****tard miss another and we have someone else to replace you.
3rd - you suck, sit down.

xxx2^^^^^^ also reputation helps. If someone normally makes great plays and all the routines then I'll let 3-4 go but at some point you have to realize that someone is not there mentally that day or is having a bad day. our 2b ss and 3b and Lf can all play the same positions well. so if one is having a bad day they get moved to 2b or lf and rotate as needed.

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator
I manage a coed team, so hot girls are going to more chances than the others. I have two lesbians than can hit as good as most of the men, so I also give them more chances. I'd never pull someone during an inning though, other than a pitcher and it would take a lot to get me to do that. I'm not out there to humiliate anyone other than the other team.

Pics or GTFO?

Jubei

Coach
#1. Making the same mistake is enough to take action against no matter the score. This would be considered preventable before it becomes detrimental.
#2. Mistakes made while the pressure is on or off. For example, I know pitchers who suck balls when the game gets close. All of sudden they are walking batters, where as its the complete opposite when your winning. If someone can't handle the heat, you sit them.
#3. Then you have players who are just having a bad day. You sit them. Hopefully they understand, unlike some folks who don't believe in sitting no matter how bad they are sucking.

badluckg

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the situation does play a big part also the nature of the mistake. If its someone just being plain lazy there is no slack and they should be pulled or talked to. If the player is trying to make the play and just makes a mistake then a some slack should be given, however if they start to have the snowball effect pull them as soon as possible.

softballin101

Addicted to Softballfans
I think the situation does play a big part also the nature of the mistake. If its someone just being plain lazy there is no slack and they should be pulled or talked to. If the player is trying to make the play and just makes a mistake then a some slack should be given, however if they start to have the snowball effect pull them as soon as possible.

Yeah, I always wonder if hustling to make a play is worth the hassle. If you haul ass at full speed to stretch to make a play in the outfield, from the stands it still looks like you missed a play that could have been made. If you reach out and dive for anything and miss it, it could be bad because the runner could take an extra base. I guess diving in the infield isn't as risky.

BIGPAPA33

ULTRA MEGA
Playing 1B (played IF once in 24+ of playing) for the first time Sat and sure i'm going to boot some balls. Just will make it up with my stick...but since I have't hit since August I might suck at that too.

Hand of Mercy

^The White Devil^
Yeah, I always wonder if hustling to make a play is worth the hassle. If you haul ass at full speed to stretch to make a play in the outfield, from the stands it still looks like you missed a play that could have been made. If you reach out and dive for anything and miss it, it could be bad because the runner could take an extra base. I guess diving in the infield isn't as risky.

You just have to be smart as to when you take those chances. I say you don't dive in the outfield unless you have a backup, nothin worse than watching an outfielder dive for a ball in the corner and miss and everyone scores when you should just keep it and front and limit the damage and keep force outs. I think thats all pretty much fundamental stuff.

thesteve

Addicted to Softballfans
You just have to be smart as to when you take those chances. I say you don't dive in the outfield unless you have a backup, nothin worse than watching an outfielder dive for a ball in the corner and miss and everyone scores when you should just keep it and front and limit the damage and keep force outs. I think thats all pretty much fundamental stuff.
Exactly. A big part of roaming the outfield effectively is understanding the situation and know your own capabilities. Laying out for a ball down the line with no runners on? Who cares if the batter gets an in the park job. With two runners on? Totally different situation.