How much does strength really help?

decadus

Starting Player
I know it may seem like an odd question, but I was curious how an increase in strength has affected you guy's game. Have you seen an increase in speed, arm strength, or how hard and far you hit? I just ask because as I have been playing most of the people I have seen with the best arms and hardest hit balls have been smaller guys.
Also, I am almost 30 and am beginning to get to the gym for health purposes, and just wonder how it might help my game next spring.

wcoastsoftball

There are a lot of factors that go into sports than just strength, as you can see with your experience of the biggest guys not being the best all the time.

Strength can't hurt, that is for sure. Training hypertrophy-strength-power and so forth CAN (not always) help swing speed, bat control, arm strength and basepath speed, not to mention the most important thing, injury prevention.

As for an anecdotal claim, I have seen it help my game. I took a year off last year from training after 5 straight non-stop training years and my game suffered. Now in my third month back and feel I am close to the power and fielding ability I had previously.

phxraida15

Addicted to Softballfans
It's interesting for sure. Gets it done. I guess that's all that matters lol.

It's awful... But he rakes... I seen him a couple of years back when he was with Sonnys, they were playing here in Phx, the fields were 315' all the way around... He hit a ball just to the side of the pitchers head... It was like 2' from the pitchers right side, froze the CF, went straight over his head and hit the middle of the fence... Hardest shot I've ever seen hit in my life... Ball got there fast as **** too lol!

decadus

Starting Player
Well I suppose I knew strength matters, but have any of you noticed any measurable or specific changes in your game with strength increases.

2TransAms

Droppin' 280 ft bombs
Yes. Especially lower body/legs. I've always been tall(ish, 6'0) and skinny. Haven't seriously lifted in 10+ years and I saw my power drop a little bit every year. Over the winter I started back and kept it simple with squats, bench, and deadlift and I've hit the ball harder all year.

Strong can make up for poor mechanics. Good mechanics can make up for a lack of strength. Both is better.

decadus

Starting Player
Yes. Especially lower body/legs. I've always been tall(ish, 6'0) and skinny. Haven't seriously lifted in 10+ years and I saw my power drop a little bit every year. Over the winter I started back and kept it simple with squats, bench, and deadlift and I've hit the ball harder all year.

Strong can make up for poor mechanics. Good mechanics can make up for a lack of strength. Both is better.

Thanks for the input. Now I just need to find a good way to work on my mechanics over the winter.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
Video your swing and look at it. You don't even have to post it here. People are sometimes shocked by what they see when they video their swing. What feels right may look completely wrong once you see it on camera.

King Hippo

Star Player
I agree with what's been posted. I've seen a big increase of power in my game over the last three to four years. I've been lifting for strength, bench, squat, deadlift, Olympic lifts. I feel like it's helped, especially lower body. But I've also recorded my swing, taken a lot of bp and overhauled my mechanics. I believe the mechanics have been more helpful over all. I watch a lot of Ken's videos that are posted on SBF. I'm in my late 30's and I feel great. I attribute that directly to staying in decent shape. Most of my buddies that I've played with over the years have either "retired" or have significantly slowed down. The ones who are still going strong are the ones who eat pretty healthy and exercise regularly.

Laoch

Bearded. Drunk. Dominant.
I started playing June 2012, started lifting in July 2012. I've gradually gained distance and speed on hits. Throws from 3rd to 1st are easier, more accurate and have more zip than when I first started. Training can't hurt your on field performance unless you get injured doing it.

Ballisttic

Star Player
I went from hitting 300'-320' at best (well rested) in the beginning of the year with asa 44/375s to over 400' on my very best (well rested) hits. I hit 350-370' easy now as an average distance.

What i did is take about 300-400 swings a week and work on mechanics of my swing.

The biggest help to add power for me was to push my hands back as far as possible before i swung at the ball and it made an instant 30' increase in distance for me. I also found being loose and relaxed as possible before swinging added 10-20'.

That's all i did for working out this year.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Training for strength overall will help you on the softball field. You will not tire as quickly and feel fresher throughout the day.

There are many ways to train for strength, power, hypertrophy and it is a balancing act to what is right for you and your body. I will say that rotational power is a key to success in softball.

Ill continue to follow this thread as well....

tap2284

I went from hitting 300'-320' at best (well rested) in the beginning of the year with asa 44/375s to over 400' on my very best (well rested) hits. I hit 350-370' easy now as an average distance.

What i did is take about 300-400 swings a week and work on mechanics of my swing.

The biggest help to add power for me was to push my hands back as far as possible before i swung at the ball and it made an instant 30' increase in distance for me. I also found being loose and relaxed as possible before swinging added 10-20'.

That's all i did for working out this year.

You gained 100' by taking BP?? Looks like I shouldn't workout anymore and just hit BP.

BTW, 400' is a lot farther than people realize.....

Ballisttic

Star Player
You gained 100' by taking BP?? Looks like I shouldn't workout anymore and just hit BP.

Mechanics > over all but im sure strength training and conditioning would still be good to add in for more distance, speed and recovery.

I would say more like 80' but its still a lot. I cant hit 400' unless i have 4 to 5 days rest after my last bp session and i think that's where strength training and conditioning would have helped me to be more consistent.

I really just started reaching 400' in mid august with launches and my first one google earth at 401'. I have hit 3 more 400' shots two with launches (415'-430') and one at team practice with asa 44/375s 400'
Im not saying i can do it at will the 400'ers but its starting to happen more often. The launch 400'ers were done off a tee. The asa 44/375 400'er was off live pitching.

I know without video proof of this you wont believe it but i have no reason to lie about and a sbf bro todd498 has seen my 400' launch shots.

All 400' shot were hit with a 27oz reissue dc 41

Last edited:

Ballisttic

Star Player
I think taking a lot of bp and working on mechanics will be the best method for building distance. I have took over 1200 swings in a 2 week period before but i think that was way to many. If you stick with 200-400 swings aweek off a tee or live pitching you will see results like i did.

Last edited:

beernbombs

Abby's dad

I'm a big guy, 6' 5" 270, and I've hit more than a few HRs in my day. I google earthed the longest balls I ever hit with 44/375 TAs and a well broken in M7JH98, they were 390ish.

tap2284

Mechanics > over all but im sure strength training and conditioning would still be good to add in for more distance, speed and recovery.

I would say more like 80' but its still a lot. I cant hit 400' unless i have 4 to 5 days rest after my last bp session and i think that's where strength training and conditioning would have helped me to be more consistent.

I really just started reaching 400' in mid august with launches and my first one google earth at 401'. I have hit 3 more 400' shots two with launches (415'-430') and one at team practice with asa 44/375s 400'
Im not saying i can do it at will the 400'ers but its starting to happen more often. The launch 400'ers were done off a tee. The asa 44/375 400'er was off live pitching.

I know without video proof of this you wont believe it but i have no reason to lie about and a sbf bro todd498 has seen my 400' launch shots.

All 400' shot were hit with a 27oz reissue dc 41

Not doubting you but just saying 400' is a long way. Hitting Launches will make it quite a bit easier though. Them balls are rocks.

I think taking a lot of bp and working on mechanics will be the best method for building distance. I have took over 1200 swings in a 2 week period before but i think that was way to many. If you stick with 200-400 swings aweek off a tee or live pitching you will see results like i did.

I would think everyone would work on swing mechanics all the time if that is all it took to hit the ball farther. But most of the people on this board play in limited homerun tourneys I'm sure so you are better off taking BP to work on hitting better, not just distance.

I'm a big guy, 6' 5" 270, and I've hit more than a few HRs in my day. I google earthed the longest balls I ever hit with 44/375 TAs and a well broken in M7JH98, they were 390ish.

Yes, 400' is a long ways. Having hit a few in my day it takes a great swing and good conditions to get the ball that far.

BruceinGa

always online
The biggest help to add power for me was to push my hands back as far as possible before i swung at the ball and it made an instant 30' increase in distance for me.

I agree here! Over the years I have tended not to push my hands all the way back. About 6 weeks ago I remembered one of Todd Graham's tips from his Swing Mechanics videos, push your hands all the way back.
You are correct, it adds bat speed and distance. :biggthumpup:

Ballisttic

Star Player
Yes, 400' is a long ways. Having hit a few in my day it takes a great swing and good conditions to get the ball that far.

This ^^^ is 100% accurate i had as good of conditions as possible for florida summer, overcast, wind blowing out 10-15mph. If the wind had been blowing in
or just sunny, stagnate, humid with heat index of 100+. I would have never reached 400'.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
Lifting in and of itself, will add little or nothing to your hitting ability. However, what it will enable you to do, if done correctly, is to build a stronger and more adaptive base that will allow you to take more swings/week without injury. Ultimately, a good strength training regimen coupled with more rigorous swing training will make you a better and more explosive hitter.

Lifting incorrectly and over-doing it can actually have the opposite effect. You must remain flexible while adding strength and bulk. Otherwise, you will realize less benefit and may be more susceptible to injury. You must figure the balance required for optimal performance. The balance will be different for everyone depending on needs.

Some dudes are just naturally explosive and really don't need much lifting. Others, need to hit the weight room like a madman in the off-season. As you get older, the need for a good strength program increases every year.

tap2284

I would say a good strength program will make you more explosive. Then BP to hone your skills will add to it.

Flexible? That's a broad term..... Can mean very different things to different people.

Tdietz22

Part Time Player
One thing I haven't seen mentioned while skimming though here.. I have gained a significant amount of strength since last year. I lifted hard, 6 days a week and went from 170 to about 215. It completely changed my swing. I struggled a lot waiting on pitches this year. My swing speed increased dramatically creating a timing issue from what I was use to. If it's possible I highly recommend continuing BP through the off season. I also found that my 26 oz bat has become "too light" for my preference. That's just my experience anyways. Everyone is different.

decadus

Starting Player
One thing I haven't seen mentioned while skimming though here.. I have gained a significant amount of strength since last year. I lifted hard, 6 days a week and went from 170 to about 215. It completely changed my swing. I struggled a lot waiting on pitches this year. My swing speed increased dramatically creating a timing issue from what I was use to. If it's possible I highly recommend continuing BP through the off season. I also found that my 26 oz bat has become "too light" for my preference. That's just my experience anyways. Everyone is different.

With the extra strength and heavier bat how much harder/farther are you hitting the ball?

Tdietz22

Part Time Player
My power numbers have actually went down due to the changes I had in my swing. I finally started fingering it out recently and when I do get a hold of one it flies probably 20 more feet than it use to on average. Tough to measure but it has definitely made a impact on batted balls. Too bad I don't have swing speed measurements or exact distances. Those would be the most telling

Scooter

Addicted to Softballfans
Simply put: Power = Speed x Strength

Working out is only half the equation. Proper mechanics on getting the bat around quickly and hitting the ball in the sweet spot also go a long way. This is how guys like Ichiro can still hit double digit home runs yet be one of the smaller players in the league.

ozo974

Addicted to Softballfans
I gotta ask... When someone hits a 400 ft shot....are you hitting and counting the role on concrete? Havent yet played softball in a field longer than 325, so what is on the other side of the field where it is continuing to pick up distance??