How to avoid back outs and quitters

Normy

Definitely, but, back in the day, it was a couple unreliable guys. Nowadays, it's half the team that doesn't want to practice or don't wake up on time or etc etc. Very annoying.
The manager I'm playing for this year is the president of the Midland Softball league. Good dude and everyone has the utmost respect for him. Looking forward to a hopeful "drama free" season with lotsa fun, win lose or draw! Drama free and slowpitch softball are an oxymoron but you get the jist 😉

Last edited:

blakcherry329

I don't see it as being any worse today, you just hear about it more because of social media and the Internet. We had all the same no shows, burnouts, and cancers twenty years ago. I do see less of it now because I'm smarter and avoid those teams, so that may be a factor too. I've not known softball without the"that guy is such a waste of talent because he gets too drunk all the time " player .

Our problem is we're old, and we get young talent, but then they move up at the end of the year and we have to find replacements. That's getting harder to do with the use of three man outfields. We only had one quit mid year last year because he wasn't starting and one move up in the off season. I'm optimistic.
I respectfully disagree. I've witnessed it, first hand. Youngsters aren't as committed as we were at the same age. They also don't like to be critiqued on anything. It's not about them moving on, it's how they act when they're on the team.
I know I sound like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino, but that doesn't make it any less accurate. ;)

Redsfan

Definitely, but, back in the day, it was a couple unreliable guys. Nowadays, it's half the team that doesn't want to practice or don't wake up on time or etc etc. Very annoying.
I noticed the change around 1999-2000 when my core group of guys were getting older and were retiring. We needed some new guys. Had a very hard time finding guys that had the same drive/desire/work ethic etc. We were all ex college or HS athletes. We noticed many of the new guys playing weren't. Pretty much all of my current team didn't play HS baseball. I think that is some of the issue

Redsfan

They also don't like to be critiqued on anything. It's not about them moving on, it's how they act when they're on the team.

I have a cousin that coaches D1 football at a big time college football program. Those kids aren't any different there. It doesn't matter if they are a 3 star or 5 star player. You can't yell at them. Can't work them too hard. If you don't treat them like a king, play them all the time and make them feel special they will pout, complain on social media and then enter the transfer portal.

Last edited:

TheKid33

Star Player
Yeah it’s definitely a lot worse these days. I’m lucky to have a team that is pretty good about not being flakes the last 2 years but back when I first started this wasn’t. Something I ever thought about. It was assumed everyone would be at every game.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I respectfully disagree. I've witnessed it, first hand. Youngsters aren't as committed as we were at the same age. They also don't like to be critiqued on anything. It's not about them moving on, it's how they act when they're on the team.
I know I sound like Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino, but that doesn't make it any less accurate. ;)
Sounds like you just got really lucky however many years ago you're talking about, because I've witnessed it first hand as well. I'm a pitcher now because my team, which had the same core for most of ten years, never took bp and it was just me and the pitcher occasionally hitting. When he got hit in the face, I was the only person that could even throw strikes. 20 years later, here I am.

The only real change now that I'm old is I care more if people waste my time. The same jerks that did it back then are jerks now, and I was probably glad they didn't show up then just like I am now. One other difference, we didn't have to take an out if we only had 9 for co-ed back in 2000's as long as we were a guy short, and last time I did that we had to take an automatic out.

I was also running the team back then, and quit doing it because of those ****heel, so I am biased

r8dr_rider

I have zero players from my original team I started back in 2015. And right now I have have about 6 core players each season. Life happens. Also I had to move to Monday nights and a further park after Covid and that didn’t help due to other’s schedules.

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
The team I had played on had a good core for about 5-6 years and then the last three years together guys could care less if the showed up or not. I think over those three years we won 2-3 games total And each game had to throw a team together the morning of the games. Clarified why I’ll never be a manager. Plus young guys don’t want to play softball.

Redsfan

Old guys don't want to play any more either. We didn't have our 50+ league in Columbus because they couldn't get enough teams. Metro Columbus population is 2.1 million and we can't get 60 or so 50 year old guys to play softball. Only had 5 teams last year for summer league and they cancelled Fall because nobody wanted to play. I'd go back to golfing but many of the courses I used to play are being sold off to be housing developments or nature preserves.

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
When I started ball in the late 80’s there was no internet and no such think as a mobile phone so there were less things to do. Modified had many leagues then but not many slow pitch but now there’s very few modified and more slow pitch leagues. I’m over 50 and senior leagues are really non-existent in NJ. And coming back after a few years off softball has become very exclusive, you either have to be someone’s friend or have a connection or teams won’t bother with you. Softball was never like that.

trippy1313

Starting Player
I feel pretty fortunate. Much like Redsfan, the main league team I've played on for 17ish years is pretty much the same team that's been playing together for over 40 years.

Lost and gained some people over the years, it's a team I got on that my dad was on before I was born (I'm 35 now). And as some have dropped off, other sons have joined in, it's really a family team. We all go camping together, grew up together really. My dad knew the coach and his twin brother growing up from elementary through high school.

I think of the original team there's still.... 6 guys? Half the team is in their 60s, a few in their 40s-50s, and then 5 or 6 in our late 20s-30s. Some got tired or busy, some passed away.

With everyone having family's and whatnot, it's really just easier to have 18ish on the roster. Sure days we suck we may only hit once per game, but we rotate in the field and all get some game time. Probably won't be too many years before some of the Founding Fathers transition to a senior league, when it does it all might fall apart, or me and my two buddy's who grew up on the team might sew together a group. No clue. But aside from the league scheduling, it's the best team I've ever played on. Won the league maybe twice through the years, but usually hang around the bottom half. Friends make it fun.

Edit: I will add that it's so much fun being on a team where we beat a bunch of ex-high school players with a team that half the players are over 60. Lol.

r8dr_rider

This is my last season of managing. Too many quitters. Many of the guys on my team play other league nights. Some get injured and some can’t pay fees because they have joined too many teams. I end up eating some fees and have to get subs every week. I’m done.