ASA how to make an ump not hate ur team anymore??

srhine09

Addicted to Softballfans
we seem to always get the same ump and he hates us.....we are always arguing with him cuz he is terrible and never seems to give us the close calls...is there anyway to make this guy not hate us and call a fair game?? he cost us one game already with terrible calls in the last inning...could win when we had to get five outs. so what should i do bring him an apple before the game??

srhine09

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah, i know..hard to control some of the hot heads on my team tho especially given the history

sb13

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm nice to all ump's... I'm the catcher and always chatting with them.. The best thing you can do is pull him aside and talk with him. Tell him it's the heat of game, nothing personal. If I do happen to disagree with a call and get vocal with them, then always apologize after the game. It goes a long way…

OG_\FlyingPigs

Purrrrrr
I'm nice to all ump's... I'm the catcher and always chatting with them.. The best thing you can do is pull him aside and talk with him. Tell him it's the heat of game, nothing personal. If I do happen to disagree with a call and get vocal with them, then always apologize after the game. It goes a long way…

Im a catcher also, and damn good at buttering the reds up and framing the pitches.

sb13

Addicted to Softballfans
yeah, i know..hard to control some of the hot heads on my team tho especially given the history

I'm also the MGR. of the team and the only one who gets after them, when needed. If your whole team is yelling then you have a big problem. Let the MGR do the talking.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
we seem to always get the same ump and he hates us.....we are always arguing with him cuz he is terrible and never seems to give us the close calls...is there anyway to make this guy not hate us and call a fair game?? he cost us one game already with terrible calls in the last inning...could win when we had to get five outs. so what should i do bring him an apple before the game??

Think about what you said.

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
Like others have said, just be friendly. I won't argue calls, but just like any guy I'll make it clear I disagree. Between innings and between plays, though, I'll usually chat up the field umpire (I play 1st) and they usually seem to enjoy having someone talk to them that's not complaining.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

You ever try thinking he hates your team because you suck and expect the umpire to ignore rules and make up calls to allow for your shortcomings? :confused:

Here's a thought....shut up and play the game. You want to make sure a call doesn't hurt your team, score and play well enough that s/he is irrelevant to the outcome.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
It comes down to respect. You respect them, they'll respect you.

I used to be that guy getting on the ump all the time and still do from time to time when it warrants. BUT, I always shake his hand after the game and tell him, "good game." He understands where I'm coming from - a hot-headed redhead that just wants to win. And I understand where he's coming from - a guy that more than likely can't play the game anymore and just wants to be around it and make a few bucks, and doing the best he can.

Nobody is out to get you and the sooner you realize that the sooner you'll get along with this ump.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
a guy that more than likely can't play the game anymore and just wants to be around it and make a few bucks, and doing the best he can.

That comment lends to a pet peeve. I get tired of hearing guys say, "I'm not ready to ump, I'm still playing".

What a load of $ hit. If that player was smart....okay, a little exaggeration...s/he would start umpiring as soon as possible for two reasons:

1. He will learn more about the game. The average player knows maybe 50% or barely enough of the rules to get by, many don't get to that point.

2. May like it and will have more years to enjoy travelling and working better games than s/he will ever see at home.

srhine09

Addicted to Softballfans
You ever try thinking he hates your team because you suck and expect the umpire to ignore rules and make up calls to allow for your shortcomings? :confused:

Here's a thought....shut up and play the game. You want to make sure a call doesn't hurt your team, score and play well enough that s/he is irrelevant to the outcome.

some of the plays are not even close and the other team even admits that he is screwing us. dont abuse your power as an ump....he is paid to call a fair game regardless if he likes us or not. we only argue with him when he makes one of horribly obvious bad calls its not like we whine about every close call. its the ones that everyone playing and everyone in the stands sit there and scratch there head at

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
That comment lends to a pet peeve. I get tired of hearing guys say, "I'm not ready to ump, I'm still playing".

What a load of $ hit. If that player was smart....okay, a little exaggeration...s/he would start umpiring as soon as possible for two reasons:

1. He will learn more about the game. The average player knows maybe 50% or barely enough of the rules to get by, many don't get to that point.

2. May like it and will have more years to enjoy travelling and working better games than s/he will ever see at home.

I hear ya! I just started umping at 36 and I'm still playing. I only know of one other ump (That I've worked with) that plays. I've probably been in "ump mode" for 4 seasons, though - reading the rulebook every season and checking the web for rule changes, etc. I love the game and this gives me a new way to enjoy it.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
some of the plays are not even close and the other team even admits that he is screwing us. dont abuse your power as an ump....he is paid to call a fair game regardless if he likes us or not.

Absolutely no argument with that point. Could not agree more. So much so, that I am not capable of making an FYC, my brain will not allow it.

we only argue with him when he makes one of horribly obvious bad calls its not like we whine about every close call. its the ones that everyone playing and everyone in the stands sit there and scratch there head at

Ever think that maybe he just doesn't see them? Are his calls just as questionable when working games that include a team other than yours?

srhine09

Addicted to Softballfans
Ever think that maybe he just doesn't see them? Are his calls just as questionable when working games that include a team other than yours?

havent watched him ump other games just ours....but he has yet to make a horrible call in our favor

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
I ump and I catch. I joke around w/ the ump the entire game. When I disagree with a call I let him know, but I rarely if ever go off on an ump. The only times that happens is when they make the wrong call because they don't know the rules. I've had many times where other guys on my team would be complaining about calls, and before the next pitch I'd tell him that I thought he got it right.
Look, umps are there to enjoy the game, have some fun, and put a little cash in their pocket. Most like to talk during the game because it makes it more enjoyable. If you're constantly complaining, he's not going to enjoy his time out there and perhaps his calls will reflect that.

If you're smart, you get your team to understand that the only person that should be questioning calls on your team should be the manager (or the guy that knows the rules inside and out). And just so you know, you're never going to get an ump to reverse a judgement call by yelling at him.

Benched02

Addicted to Softballfans
I never complain about a call..from what Ive seen it doesn't get you anywhere. When a lot of people are complaining. I'll just joke with him while up to bat and try to lighten the game up a little for him. Goes a long way.

Cobrasnake44

Addicted to Softballfans
we seem to always get the same ump and he hates us.....

There's alot of good advice in this thread but I'll take a slightly different approach. If he really just has something against your team and you don't feel you can change that, than my advice to you would be to talk to who ever is in charge and ask if they can keep him from umping anymore of your games.

This would probably only work if you played where they had enough umps and/or more than one game going at a time...etc

Just a thought.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
There's alot of good advice in this thread but I'll take a slightly different approach. If he really just has something against your team and you don't feel you can change that, than my advice to you would be to talk to who ever is in charge and ask if they can keep him from umping anymore of your games.

This would probably only work if you played where they had enough umps and/or more than one game going at a time...etc

Just a thought.

Good luck with that.
If they honor your request then they'll have to honor someone else's request and scheduling the umps will be impossible.

What happens when the team you're playing has requested to have that ump as often as possible because they think he's the best ump? Which request do they honor?

Fin09

Addicted to Softballfans
I think you answered your own question- if you are always arguing with him, you're not going to see any change. If you can keep the hotheads off his back, and let him call the game, you're liable to see a difference. You know, I doubt he likes to see your team walk up, either, since he knows he's going to have a fight on his hands. I don't know many umpires who go looking for an argument, so you're not helping matters much by going off on him. Would you like him to come to where you work and yell at you for something you did that wasn't perfect?

Cobrasnake44

Addicted to Softballfans
Good luck with that.
If they honor your request then they'll have to honor someone else's request and scheduling the umps will be impossible.

What happens when the team you're playing has requested to have that ump as often as possible because they think he's the best ump? Which request do they honor?

I understand your point but just saying it's worth a try if he really is that bad. There is a difference in asking for an ump not to ump your games compared to asking for an ump to ump your games.

Still teams and players pay/spend big money to play league ball and there is no reason to have an ump out there ruining that for you if that is the case.

Now I'm not saying it's the umps fault at all. I have no clue if he's really missing calls that bad or if it's the players fault, but just saying if he is doing it on purpose without a good reason than they have the right to atleast ask and see what happens.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Shut up the whiney bishes on your team and I'll bet you start to see a change.

^^^^^^
Amen to that.

I'll throw this into the mix. You're biased. Plain and simple. You want your team to win, and your objective colors your perception. You see what you WANT to see. You see your throw beat the runner by a full step, but you didn't see your first baseman pull his foot.

Every year, I'll hear some player make some comment about me not liking their team or how they never get the close ones. They spout these conspiracy theories about how I don't like them, or how I'm holding a grudge or a "vendetta" (after I've only called 2 of their games... EVER).

The sad thing is that in some of these cases, I actually LIKE their team. Some of these players are really good guys whom I respect immensely. Yet the grumbling is still there.

If I can hide the fact that I like their team so well that I'm getting accused of NOT liking their team, I guess this means that I must be doing my job right. :D

Roundtrip

Starting Player
^^^^^^
Amen to that.

I'll throw this into the mix. You're biased. Plain and simple. You want your team to win, and your objective colors your perception. You see what you WANT to see. You see your throw beat the runner by a full step, but you didn't see your first baseman pull his foot.
Every year, I'll hear some player make some comment about me not liking their team or how they never get the close ones. They spout these conspiracy theories about how I don't like them, or how I'm holding a grudge or a "vendetta" (after I've only called 2 of their games... EVER).

The sad thing is that in some of these cases, I actually LIKE their team. Some of these players are really good guys whom I respect immensely. Yet the grumbling is still there.

If I can hide the fact that I like their team so well that I'm getting accused of NOT liking their team, I guess this means that I must be doing my job right. :D

As a player and a passionate umpire I believe NCASAUMP hit a homerun with the red/bold statement. The lower level teams are the absolute worst in regards to the close calls. One of the lower level teams that I play on periodically whines about calls and most often their cries are unwarranted and I have too tell them to STFU and play because they're partial.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
As a player and a passionate umpire I believe NCASAUMP hit a homerun with the red/bold statement. The lower level teams are the absolute worst in regards to the close calls. One of the lower level teams that I play on periodically whines about calls and most often their cries are unwarranted and I have too tell them to STFU and play because they're partial.

Well, and let's not forget that there's nothing WRONG with a player or coach being biased. It's not THEIR job to be impartial, it's ours.

It's when the players and coaches make the effort to be impartial that we start to see eye-to-eye. Until then, you have your role, and I have mine.

USSSA

The Veteran

Do you really what to take the umpire out of the game or just whining?

If so, this is what I have always looked for, teams that play aggressive and the players decide the game

By playing aggressive I mean, players are swinging the bat and not letting good pitches go by, they run the bases smart and aggressive always moving up when they can. Umps want to see a good game played

Dont wait for the ump to decide things, if u do, he will call strikes and outs

U earn what you get, the ump is not on your side, their focus and attitude is different than the player, ump calls the game the way they see it from their angle, only the players care who wins, ump doesnt

The harder you make the job for the ump, the harder it will be for you to win

Focus on playing and not calling the game

Think about what I just said:)

ASA BLUE

Star Player

My recommendation is to start umpiring ASAP. You may actually enjoy it. You'll make some extra cash, get to know the game even better, and have a new-found respect for the guys that are already umping. Worst case scenario is that you try it and not like it, but you'll realize what the umpires go through. I started umpiring at 18. This is my 15th season. Even knowing the game well at age 18, it was difficult to get the respect of players, based on my age and maturity level. Over the last 7 or 8 years, I have developed a great relationship with many of the players and coaches. I call my games with authority and integrity, hustling from start to finish, and refrain from the power trip that some umps seem to get. I call games the exact way I expect others to call the games I play. Some of the best umpires are the guys that are currently playing as well. I wish many more guys/gals would do this. It would solve the problems that most leagues have: out of a neccesity for officials, employing people that "sorta know the game 'cuz they played 15 years ago" or think that because they can call outs and safe, that that's all they need to know. Softball needs more quality umpires. period.

mjross81

Surrounded by estrogen
I'm sure it's been said but no way I'm reading all the responses to see :eek:...be NICE to the umpire reguardless!!!!!

I've had umps make bad calls on us and when I hear any kind of pissing an moaning coming from MY team, then I'll verbally tell my teammate (loud enough for the ump to hear) to "shut it" and that "he's been calling a great game so far and a close play can go either way and that's how he saw it". It usually lends to (if nothing else) a fairly called game and best case it helps you get a make-up type call ;). I ALWAYS thank the ump after the game too reguardless of how well/bad he called the game (but if he called an exceptional game, then I'll absolutely let him know how good he was cause there's nothing better than an ump who know what the hell they're doing and let's the players be what decides the game).