How to stay hydrated in summer?

amace04

I bring a 1L bottle of water full of ice, and a couple beer. If it's a tournament, I adjust the amount of water and beer accordingly.

Redsfan

Go to Osmo Nutrition's website. They have cool videos on how to keep your body hydrated. I bicycle 1000 to 3000 miles per year. Haven't cramped up since I started using their products. I'm sure nobody wants to hear it but beer is one of the last things you should drink when it's hot and you are getting dehydrated.

wcoastsoftball

General baseline is daily hydration of half your bodyweight in ounces. Water is best, but NUUN tablets or similar products can help replace electrolytes. Once the baseline hydration is set, drinking 8 ounces per pound of bodyweight lost is the recommendation but on the ballfield kinda hard to weight yourself, so drinking 8 ounces per 20-30 minutes of exercise would be best. Also monitor urine color for changes from clear/slightly yellow to darker colors which could indicate dehydration

amace04

Go to Osmo Nutrition's website. They have cool videos on how to keep your body hydrated. I bicycle 1000 to 3000 miles per year. Haven't cramped up since I started using their products. I'm sure nobody wants to hear it but beer is one of the last things you should drink when it's hot and you are getting dehydrated.

I doubt anybody truly believes beer is beneficial to them when it comes to hydration.

Redsfan

I doubt anybody truly believes beer is beneficial to them when it comes to hydration.

I've played with and against players that actually think they are hydrating with beer and soda. So my original post is from experience not just a guess.

amace04

I guess idiots everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I drink beer and play ball. I like beer. I still like beer. Sometimes I had too many beers. But I wasn't pretending I was hydrating myself.

Drink lots of water. Gatorade has too much sugar in it so in place of Gatorade I recommend picking electrolyte packs. They'll taste funky but will help your body retain water. I play in the heat of summer in the desert where it is 115 plus consistently.

You're right joker it is a good follow up. But the drink something comment by you was a little vague so I thought I would be a little less vague.

westtexas

"Godfather"
A very simple and cheap replacement for Gatorade without the sugar is this:
2 liters of water
packet of crystal lite (sugar free)
1 teaspoon of potassium chloride (its sold as "no Salt")
1/2 teaspoon of sodium chloride (Himalayan sea salt)
1 teaspoon of baking soda.
Mix together in a measuring cup. put the crystal lite in last and stir slow because it will foam up. Pour into 2 liter bottle and drink throughout the day.
I found the pink lemonade flavor or crystal tastes best and strawberry the worst...lol