ASA Hustle in/hustle out Rule

jhsfive

Outstanding Mutha****er
Bottom line: Last night, we had an ump penalize our team a “ball” because he felt that we weren’t “hustling out” to our defensive positions starting our pitch count as 2-1.

Can’t find this in the rule book or the additional “league rules”. Seems subjective. Any input is appreciated.

jhsfive

Outstanding Mutha****er
Why don't you just hustle? Hustle is free.

It was a teammate that was getting his bearings after running his ass off on the bags. Had to find his glove, etc.

Like I said, seemed subjective. League Mondays and ump acting like we’re at the border battle.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
We have umps that do the same thing; guy catches the third out in CF and starts jogging towards the bench, gets halfway and the ump is yelling "Let's have a batter!"

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
We have a 65 minute time limit in our leagues, it is a league rule , if ump asks us to hustle on,off cause of potential time issues he can start calling balls on batters although there is only one douche ump that has ever done so

There's no need to "penalize" a team for not hustling in and out. If your game has the field for 1:00, 1:10, or whatever your time slot is, you spend it how you wish to spend it. You paid for it and if the game ends in five innings because you lolligagged, well, that's on you. No need for the ump to start making stuff up.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
There's no need to "penalize" a team for not hustling in and out. If your game has the field for 1:00, 1:10, or whatever your time slot is, you spend it how you wish to spend it. You paid for it and if the game ends in five innings because you lolligagged, well, that's on you. No need for the ump to start making stuff up.

Just bc YOU are ok with only playing less than 7 innings doesn't mean the other team and/or your own teammates are ok with it.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like the umpire is enforcing the rule book like they are supposed to. You have one minute from the time the third out is recorded to be ready for the start of the inning. Once that time is gone the umpire is well within their role to start counting and start calling balls if everyone is not ready. Every 5 seconds in USSSA and 10 in USA. It doesn't happen very often but it does get called, all the way up to Major I've seen it used. The umpire would also be within the rules to declare a forfeit against a team employing "tactics noticeably designed to delay or to hasten the game."

RNRPLZ

that's the problem right there, you lollygagging is driving down his hourly wage
If they are doing it for the wage they are in it for the wrong reasons. Yes it is nice making a little money doing something we should love to do but I don’t want teams to th8nk that’s why I keep things moving swiftly. I see teams all the time not be in a hurry, but I will just say ok, let’s get us a batter up here soon. Now when it’s deliberate.....there are some players that push it iver the line. That is when us as umpires start our count out loud up to 10 . I’d its the defense doing it, ball 2, if it’s the offense doing it, strike 2. In 9 years I’ve started my count maybe 6-8 times, only once did I make it to 10, the batter tha was up was outside the dugout smoking a cigarette and was not going to bat until he finished it. After strike 2 was announced he decided to come on in and bat as I had started my second count to 10.

Normy

Starting with a 1-1 count was supposed to speed things up. I'm usually the last one on the field by the time I get all my pitchers PPE on. Was never penalized but some of the umps give me crap about it. Wouldn't surprise me if they come up with some sort of time limit.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
You have one minute from the time the third out is recorded to be ready for the start of the inning. Once that time is gone the umpire is well within their role to start counting and start calling balls if everyone is not ready.

Simply not true.

The umpire would also be within the rules to declare a forfeit against a team employing "tactics noticeably designed to delay or to hasten the game."

That is not the purpose of the rule and would definitely fall under the heading of over officious officiating

Starting with a 1-1 count was supposed to speed things up

That isn't true, either

I'm usually the last one on the field by the time I get all my pitchers PPE on. Was never penalized but some of the umps give me crap about it. Wouldn't surprise me if they come up with some sort of time limit.

There is a time limit for pitcher's warm ups.