Hyper Z Weights

Addicted to Softballfans
Anyone have any weights on a 27 and/or 28 Hyper Z?

Not sure if I should get the 27 or 28. Loved the z2000 28 el's, hoping to get the same weighted feel with the hyper z.

Thanks!

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
I weighed two Hyper Z's on my wife's food scale. I weighed them two ways. Once with the weight of the whole bat on the scale, then again with just the barrel on the scale and the knob on the counter (I call this swing weight).

Results: Factory labelled 28 oz - Actual weight 27.76 oz. - Swing Weight 22.96 oz.
Factory labelled 27 oz - Actual weight 27.32 oz. - Swing Weight 22.42 oz.

for comparison:
Factory labelled 27 oz Dudley Lightning 13" EL - Actual Weight 26.81 oz - Swing Weight - 21.27 oz.

There is some lack of scientific precision in these measurements (I did do them on my wife's food scale), but I was careful to position each of the bats on the scale in the same position. The swing weights confirmed what I had experienced in using the bats: The Hyper Z was considerable more end-loaded than the Dudley and anything else that I own.

I like the Hyper Z, but would choose a 26 oz if I were to order a new one.

marcster13

Addicted to Softballfans
I have heard people saying these bats have a "mid-load" but I just don't feel it. It feels very endloaded to me. Even more so once you get rid of the grip that comes on this bat.

lefty tn

2014 65M World Champs SSUSA Vegas
I have a 28oz felt heavy for my swing. Ordered a 27oz felt much better swinging. Normally swing a 28oz.

Addicted to Softballfans
You guys are amazing! Thanks so much for the help and thanks to TexasTransplant for the weights, I hope the wife didn't get too mad!

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
You guys are amazing! Thanks so much for the help and thanks to TexasTransplant for the weights, I hope the wife didn't get too mad!
She's used to it!

BTW, if you get the SSUSA newspaper, which I just received today, there is an article describing a much more scientific way of determining swing weight. I wish the industry would come up with a standard way of measuring this and then disclose it on the bats. It would make it much easier to select new models.

Addicted to Softballfans
She's used to it!

BTW, if you get the SSUSA newspaper, which I just received today, there is an article describing a much more scientific way of determining swing weight. I wish the industry would come up with a standard way of measuring this and then disclose it on the bats. It would make it much easier to select new models.

Great timing on your part, my newsletter just came in the mail yesterday! LOL!

You are totally right, without this board, it is impossible to get the real deal on weights and swing weights on bats. It would be so helpful if the manufacturers would stamp what the bat really weighs. But we know that would never happen.

BruceinGa

always online
Bash's instructions on measuring swing weight doesn't make sense to me. Why would you need two scales?
In weighing my hyperZ'z I also found that their swing weight is about an ounce more than my Dudley's.

TexasTransplant

Addicted to Softballfans
Bash's instructions on measuring swing weight doesn't make sense to me. Why would you need two scales?
In weighing my hyperZ'z I also found that their swing weight is about an ounce more than my Dudley's.

I should have given you credit for explaining swing weight to me a while ago on the SSUSA board.