I am impressed.. 44 PRO Signature Series

Imago Dei

Nihil Sine Deo
I have owned several gloves and out of all the ones I have owned the one that I liked the best was the Brandon Phillips from a few years back. I love the feel of the leather and fit. My 44’s are very close and customizable and less money. If a glove guru wants me to send a 44 to do professional critique against any other glove lmk. I’m interested in a well documented comparison.

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
Sooo. I currently own two and have a third on the way. Imo it is the best custom for the price on the market. Is it as good as the big three? I dunno. These are very similar to a Marrucci.

Wilson vs 44 Pro signature
Leather: Wilson has it beat on thickness and it’s a more buttery feel where 44 is a much dryer leather. Both the A200 and A2K are better.
Weight: Wilson is substantially lighter or better balanced on your hand
Pattern/shape: Wilson is better out of the box. The 44 with the stiffer dryer leather does take shape well but still can’t quite get to where the Wilson is straight from the factory. I’m sure that goes to show the amount of R&D/player feedback that Wilson has based their models off of.
Details (such as stitching): Equal...both logos and embroidered names were flawless. A couple of stitches on the binding were out of place on the 44 but nothing major.
Lace: 44 Pro is far superior
Inserts: 44 Pro are much stiffer

Mizuno vs 44 Pro
Leather: Mizunos feel incredible imo. It’s almost like putting your hand in a va jay jay. I would place the 44 between the Pro Select and Pro of this years line up. Just a touch aboveboard the Global Elite from last years line up.
Pattern/shape: Again out of the box Mizuno. But the the shapes haven’t held up on my Mizunos where the 44 has. Every Mizuno I’ve had has become floppy early on (with the exception of the pro limited) where the 44 is a stiffer glove and retains the shape you mold it to.
Weight: Mizuno wins. The 44 is a heavier glove and it seems like there is too much weight out at the finger tips of the 44.
Details: Mizuno takes the cake here.
Lacing: 44 wins. All of the Mizunos I’ve had, the lacing stretches quite easily and I find myself having to tighten the glove often.
Inserts: Draw

Rawlings vs 44 Pro
Leather: Rawlings wins as long as it’s a PP or a standard HOH. If it’s a Dual Core then 44 wins.
Pattern/shape: Rawlings has a better shape and the best shape retention I have seen out of all the manufacturers.
Weight: Rawlings wins unless it is a oil injected dual core or something similar then 44 is the lighter glove.
Details: Rawlings
Lacing: Rawlings is the only one with better lacing than 44.
Inserts: 44 takes the cake with the stiffer inserts

This is only based off my experiences. I have owned many high end gloves from each of these manufacturers. A couple of side notes.
The positives for 44 is you do get that wider softball pocket that you see in the 1799 or some of the slowpitch models from Wilson.
They will work with you to get through many little custom nuances. And for the money imo there’s nothing better. This is for the signiture series only. I’ll be honest I have not heard one good thing about the lower end customs but have not owned or seen one.

RECKLESSxRUBEN

i bought a 1st baseman glove for my 8 year old and he loves it. i like it as well but seems like it could be built a little better. my 8 year old worth seems to be better quality leather its like there isn't much batting in the palm area. but he wants another one so im getting ready to order one this time a fielding glove

bird25

34/30 Club #25
Any updates on the 44 glove? How’s it holding up?

Thinkin about picking a Signature Series up...

My buddy has one and loves it, but we only play league a few times a week. It broke in quickly so not sure how long it will last

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Sooo. I currently own two and have a third on the way. Imo it is the best custom for the price on the market. Is it as good as the big three? I dunno. These are very similar to a Marrucci.

44 and Marucci, along with a host of other smaller custom companies, are made in the same factory or factory complex. Hence, they all look and feel the same, with similar materials.

Reactions: NYC

MaverickAH

Leather: Wilson has it beat on thickness and it’s a more buttery feel where 44 is a much dryer leather. Both the A200 and A2K are better.
Pattern/shape: Wilson is better out of the box. The 44 with the stiffer dryer leather does take shape well but still can’t quite get to where the Wilson is straight from the factory. I’m sure that goes to show the amount of R&D/player feedback that Wilson has based their models off of.
Details (such as stitching): Equal...both logos and embroidered names were flawless. A couple of stitches on the binding were out of place on the 44 but nothing major.

Mizuno vs 44 Pro
Leather: Mizunos feel incredible imo. It’s almost like putting your hand in a va jay jay. I would place the 44 between the Pro Select and Pro of this years line up. Just a touch aboveboard the Global Elite from last years line up.
Pattern/shape: Again out of the box Mizuno. But the the shapes haven’t held up on my Mizunos where the 44 has. Every Mizuno I’ve had has become floppy early on (with the exception of the pro limited) where the 44 is a stiffer glove and retains the shape you mold it to.
Weight: Mizuno wins. The 44 is a heavier glove and it seems like there is too much weight out at the finger tips of the 44.
Lacing: 44 wins. All of the Mizunos I’ve had, the lacing stretches quite easily and I find myself having to tighten the glove often.

Rawlings vs 44 Pro
Leather: Rawlings wins as long as it’s a PP or a standard HOH. If it’s a Dual Core then 44 wins.
Pattern/shape: Rawlings has a better shape and the best shape retention I have seen out of all the manufacturers.
Weight: Rawlings wins unless it is a oil injected dual core or something similar then 44 is the lighter glove.

This is only based off my experiences. I have owned many high end gloves from each of these manufacturers. A couple of side notes.
The positives for 44 is you do get that wider softball pocket that you see in the 1799 or some of the slowpitch models from Wilson.
They will work with you to get through many little custom nuances. And for the money imo there’s nothing better. This is for the signiture series only. I’ll be honest I have not heard one good thing about the lower end customs but have not owned or seen one.

I respect your opinions because:
  1. They're based on actual experience.
  2. You've supplied some detail on which you've based your rationales.
Ask Joker for this kind of detail & all you'll get back is crickets chirping & white noise..........:rolleyes:

I will ask you, what series 44 Pro do you own? Classic or Signature? Knowing will help me contextualize your opinions.

I personally don't own any 44 Pro but have been able to examine a couple. Both were from the Classic Series. My opinion of them were that they were well-made gloves that loosened up fairly quickly & offered very good value at their price point & level of customization. They were perhaps on the level of a Mizuno Global Elite or Classic Pro Soft. Maybe a touch below an A2000 or HOH but I remember thinking at the time, "From a practical point of view, there'd be little to differentiate once all three were broken in & on the field". They also reminded me very much of a Vinci PC Series glove (white leather). I did think that the Vinci 22 Series (black leather) was superior.

The only area where I differ is that I do find some inconsistencies in your opinion as it relates to my own. You rank the 44 Pro as between a Mizuno Pro Select ($250) & a Mizuno Pro ($350). This would leave me to assume that you own the Signature Series. Now I haven't examined the new Mizuno Pro yet but my opinion on the Pro Select is that it is the equal of a stock A2000 or HOH. I mean "flip a coin" equal. Anyway, to each his own.........;)

Based on their price points, I think that 44 Pro offers very good value. I personally know of one small glove maker who used the same OEM as 44 Pro. I remember him taking one of his kip leather gloves (same as the Signature), beefing up the stays & putting in a stiffer lacing. What resulted a glove that was superior to any A2000/A2K or HOH/Pro Preferred. Even if you don't do the work yourself & send it out to be done, what are we talking about? A $185 glove with $60 to $80 worth of additional work. $245 to $265 outlay........... Far more cost effective than a custom job from the big 3..........

mpk

Extra Hitter
Any updates on the 44 glove? How’s it holding up?

Thinkin about picking a Signature Series up...

From what I can tell when I researched before I bought my 44 they may have improved their product a fair bit over the past year or two. People used to bash 44 quite a bit but the tone has been more positive lately. I'd take any opinions of a 2-3 year old 44 with a grain of salt. My experience (glove and customer service) was very good.

My quick take: Very good glove, especially for the price given they are custom. Maybe 90-95% as good as a retail HOH or A2000. I'm sure the leather color makes a difference too. Mine was all black.

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
So Maverick...with regards to the comparison to Mizunos. My Global Elite GGE70 which I sold on here, got extremely soft and floppy very quick. And by that I mean it was dunked, shaped and played catch with. It felt like a $100 gold glove as floppy as it got. It’s funny I actually bought a second one because I loved the pattern and was hoping it was a fluke when it softened up so quick. It unfortunately did the same and I sold that one on here as well. I actually own and game a Pro Select now along with the 44 signiture series. I can say I had high hopes for the select as it seems to have a more rigid leather on the outside than the elite but with a similar liner. Unfortunately it too is holding its shape but becoming floppy even when tightening the laces up. My only comparison to a Pro is a new glove that a teammate got and it seems much more rigid than the other two mentioned. He did not dunk his and maybe Mizunos don’t take well to that? I don’t know. But I can say even after dunking my 44 signiture series it still took a significant amount of break in and still has not becaome floppy nor lost its shape with more play time than the global elite or pro select. As mentioned before for some reason putting my hand in those Mizunos has a very luxurious feel. The 44, not so much, just feels like a baseball glove.

mpk

Extra Hitter
So Maverick...with regards to the comparison to Mizunos. My Global Elite GGE70 which I sold on here, got extremely soft and floppy very quick. And by that I mean it was dunked, shaped and played catch with. It felt like a $100 gold glove as floppy as it got. It’s funny I actually bought a second one because I loved the pattern and was hoping it was a fluke when it softened up so quick. It unfortunately did the same and I sold that one on here as well. I actually own and game a Pro Select now along with the 44 signiture series. I can say I had high hopes for the select as it seems to have a more rigid leather on the outside than the elite but with a similar liner. Unfortunately it too is holding its shape but becoming floppy even when tightening the laces up. My only comparison to a Pro is a new glove that a teammate got and it seems much more rigid than the other two mentioned. He did not dunk his and maybe Mizunos don’t take well to that? I don’t know. But I can say even after dunking my 44 signiture series it still took a significant amount of break in and still has not becaome floppy nor lost its shape with more play time than the global elite or pro select. As mentioned before for some reason putting my hand in those Mizunos has a very luxurious feel. The 44, not so much, just feels like a baseball glove.

I had the same experience with my Mizuno Global Elite GGE71V. Got floppy lightning fast. Disappointing for how much it cost. I dunked my 44 and it was still hard as a rock and required a fair amount of break in. I've only had it a few months but I think it will last much better.

huntaholic21

Addicted to Softballfans

Mizuno vs 44 Pro

Rawlings vs 44 Pro

Your mizuno pro-select got floppy? I’m surprised to hear that, the couple that I saw in my local shop were BRICKS.

Crusty

Addicted to Softballfans
Your mizuno pro-select got floppy? I’m surprised to hear that, the couple that I saw in my local shop were BRICKS.[/QUOTE

I was surprised to have it happen. When I got mine the first thing I noticed is how much lighter it was than the global elite and also how the outer leather was very smooth and much more rigid. The pinky and thumb are still stiff but the pocket, index and middle finger got very soft very quick. It’s hard to explain but if a ball is in the pocket and you wiggke the glove side to side the glove flops back and forth. I though eh maybe the laces need tightening. But even after tightening the web and finger laces it still does it. It felt great in the beginning, but to be honest I’m not even sure I’d game it. I want a glove that stays stiff in all the right places and it unfortunately is not doing that. Imo the fingers should stay somewhat rigid after initial shaping and only spots I want to soften up are the pocket, web, and break points.

killabees

From what I can tell when I researched before I bought my 44 they may have improved their product a fair bit over the past year or two. People used to bash 44 quite a bit but the tone has been more positive lately. I'd take any opinions of a 2-3 year old 44 with a grain of salt. My experience (glove and customer service) was very good.

My quick take: Very good glove, especially for the price given they are custom. Maybe 90-95% as good as a retail HOH or A2000. I'm sure the leather color makes a difference too. Mine was all black.

they have definitely stepped their game up over the past couple years. my first one and the signature series i bought last year are night and day