ASA I learned a new ASA rule last night...

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
I learned a new rule last night. I didn't look it up, just took the umps word.

I was just BSing with the catcher and, for some stupid reason, asked the ump if we could both catch.

He said there has to be 9 player in fair territory at the time of the pitch.

I was playing 1B and we had a substantial lead so, when the next batter (dead pull hitter) came up to the plate, I stepped just foul of 1B, just fooling around.

Ump calls illegal pitch, ball two.

Next pitch I stand one foot in and one foot out.

Ump calls illegal pitch, ball three.

I stopped screwing around, learned something new and showed a lot of people something they had never seen before.

spindler27

Addicted to Softballfans
I learned a new rule last night. I didn't look it up, just took the umps word.

I was just BSing with the catcher and, for some stupid reason, asked the ump if we could both catch.

He said there has to be 9 player in fair territory at the time of the pitch.

I was playing 1B and we had a substantial lead so, when the next batter (dead pull hitter) came up to the plate, I stepped just foul of 1B, just fooling around.

Ump calls illegal pitch, ball two.

Next pitch I stand one foot in and one foot out.

Ump calls illegal pitch, ball three.

I stopped screwing around, learned something new and showed a lot of people something they had never seen before.

I would have definitely called BS on it, how many people are in fair territory when you play with 9?

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
It's true...all defensive players must be stationed in fair territory- except the catcher who, obviously, must be in the catcher's box.

This rule prevents a team doing something like having a second catcher stand behind the regular catcher to in case of passed balls or having someone standing behind the first baseman to keep wild throws from going into the dugout.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It's true...all defensive players must be stationed in fair territory- except the catcher who, obviously, must be in the catcher's box.

This rule prevents a team doing something like having a second catcher stand behind the regular catcher to in case of passed balls or having someone standing behind the first baseman to keep wild throws from going into the dugout.

Yep!

Stop monkeying around out there and play your position. :p :D

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
that umpire just worded it very poorly, he should have said all defensive players aside from the catcher must be in fair territory, saying 9 have to be in fair territory was dumb on his part

No too dumb if you're playing with ten. In fact, it would be an accurate and true statement. But you are right. A "one size fits all" answer would be that all available defensive players must be in fair territory, except the catcher.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
I would have definitely called BS on it, how many people are in fair territory when you play with 9?

I probably misquoted him. He probably said "only one player could be out of fair territory " or something like that.

Stop monkeying around out there and play your position

I just can't do it in league ball, especially when we have a big lead. Remember the grade school douchebag class clown? I'm that guy.;)