I need some suggestions on a good first base glove

gloverd

I have a 12.5" Rawlings DCT (I think P-PFDCT) that I use for slow pitch. I wear a L batting glove and it has worked out pretty well for me. I go with TIP and no batting glove. Break in is very quick and easy. I know there is a 13" DCT (PRODCTJB) in the store but it was a bit pricey for me, so I can't really speak to it. Hope this helps.

Wally Gator

Starting Player
If you can afford a HOH DCT, get it. If not, study the pattern as there are some less expensive choices available with lower quality leather. DCT stands for Double Ca Thud - I would've loved to have been in that design meeting!
"Well what does it sound like when the ball is caught by the mitt?"
"Ca thud... with an echo."

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
Vinci JBV-SB, Rawlings PRODCT, or Marucci Founders 13" Trapper - looks like a DCT pattern but has a dual post web.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The DCT is a great pattern (the design meeting was in the 1950s as the patent form was submitted in 1960!) as it has a very wide pocket, but every one I have worked on measured 12.5" (whether made by Rawlings or someone else). While the hand stalls are not small, I wouldn't call them huge. Gloveworks makes a 13.25" (actually measures 13") version (for $150 or $200). If you go that route, specify a 5.25" wide web to really supercharge it for softball.

I think a completely underrated softball friendly mitt is the Wilson 1883. They are listed as 12.5", but measure almost 13". Sadly, they have been discontinued, so you have to find one on the bay or used. They have a deeper pocket than a DCT and play just as wide too.

item-wi14-fbbb1883l.jpg

As I posted in another thread, Nokona now makes a DCT. But if you can find one of Nokona's SBM100K mitts, they have HUGE hand stalls and measure 13.75".

12051_0523.jpg

I agree with rous 100%. DlCKS sporting goods sells a Rawlings gold glove elite DCT that's not half bad for about 120 bucks too.

defos

I agree with rous 100%. DlCKS sporting goods sells a Rawlings gold glove elite DCT that's not half bad for about 120 bucks too.

I have 2 of these I'd sell for less than that, one camel and one 2-tone. Neither have been used much at all. I bought the camel one new from D...'s before the 2016 season and used it in a couple of practices and 4 or 5 games before I moved back to 3rd full time. The other one I just picked up. They're stamped 13" and that's pretty accurate. Perfect for softball. The camel mitt has virtually no cushion in the palm, the 2-tone is a little better in that regard.

I had a like-new 2- toned ProPreferred last year that had decent cushion in the palm. I sold it and bought the GGE because I knew I wouldn't play enough 1st base to break in the PP. I saw a camel PP at PIAS in Omaha a couple of months ago, and it felt a lot like my GGE - felt lighter and not as thick as the 2-tone. They wanted $225 for it, which was a great price given the little use it showed.

Bow Commander

Where are you seeing Gloveworks having a 13.25 option for first base glove? Biggest I see is 12.75.

The DCT is a great pattern (the design meeting was in the 1950s as the patent form was submitted in 1960!) as it has a very wide pocket, but every one I have worked on measured 12.5" (whether made by Rawlings or someone else). While the hand stalls are not small, I wouldn't call them huge. Gloveworks makes a 13.25" (actually measures 13") version (for $150 or $200). If you go that route, specify a 5.25" wide web to really supercharge it for softball.

I think a completely underrated softball friendly mitt is the Wilson 1883. They are listed as 12.5", but measure almost 13". Sadly, they have been discontinued, so you have to find one on the bay or used. They have a deeper pocket than a DCT and play just as wide too.

item-wi14-fbbb1883l.jpg

As I posted in another thread, Nokona now makes a DCT. But if you can find one of Nokona's SBM100K mitts, they have HUGE hand stalls and measure 13.75".

12051_0523.jpg
W

Junior_SD

Manager
I have had most of the mitts mentioned and the DCT pattern is hard to beat. Since you mentioned having larger hands I would take the Marucci off the list. It's a great mitt and just as stiff if not stiffer than any Rawlings DCT I've owned and the quality is on par but to me the hand stall seems a little tighter. The Vinci JBV-SB is another great mitt but is smaller than stamped more like 12.5" or just under but forms a deep pocket but the hand stall but be too tight. Depending on your budget I would go with a Rawlings DCT. The Gloveworks 13.25" mentioned is another alternative. It's a large mitt and like Rous mentioned I would go with a 5.25" web for a really deep pocket. I've owned two and the 5.25" is definitely the way to go. I have the DCT, Marucci and the GW so if you need any pictures just say the word and I can post them up.

Bow Commander

I'd like to see pics of your Gloveworks, please.

I have had most of the mitts mentioned and the DCT pattern is hard to beat. Since you mentioned having larger hands I would take the Marucci off the list. It's a great mitt and just as stiff if not stiffer than any Rawlings DCT I've owned and the quality is on par but to me the hand stall seems a little tighter. The Vinci JBV-SB is another great mitt but is smaller than stamped more like 12.5" or just under but forms a deep pocket but the hand stall but be too tight. Depending on your budget I would go with a Rawlings DCT. The Gloveworks 13.25" mentioned is another alternative. It's a large mitt and like Rous mentioned I would go with a 5.25" web for a really deep pocket. I've owned two and the 5.25" is definitely the way to go. I have the DCT, Marucci and the GW so if you need any pictures just say the word and I can post them up.

Bow Commander

Wow, those both look fantastic. And that web does look like it'd swallow a ball. Great idea about adding a finger pad, think I'll do that too. Still trying to decide if I actually want a first base pattern or just go with their softball pattern. I've designed a bunch of both on their website. Great tool.

Here is the original thread on the two I ordered.

http://forums.softballfans.com/threads/gloveworks-1st-base-mitts.1436312/#post-18821938

I still have the brown one and this is the web I would go with personally, it swallows a softball. I believe GW now uses Tennessee laces which is a good thing.

Junior_SD

Manager
Wow, those both look fantastic. And that web does look like it'd swallow a ball. Great idea about adding a finger pad, think I'll do that too. Still trying to decide if I actually want a first base pattern or just go with their softball pattern. I've designed a bunch of both on their website. Great tool.

Thanks, I no longer have the tan one but it was a nice mitt but I just preferred the steerhide over the kip leather but the kip was definitely much lighter. It takes some time getting used to using a mitt at first and some don't care for it. I can't see myself not using a mitt because it definitely helps with scooping the ball on those bad throws. I'd hit the sporting goods stores and see if they have any mitts on hand to get a better idea if this is something you want. GW has many options not noted on their builder but if you put it in the notes they will usually make it happen. Donald I believe the owner was really easy to work with. He is in China so it can take a couple days to hear back from him via email but he will reply. If you or anyone need any specific pictures or specs just let me know, good luck.

Bow Commander

Great info, thanks Junior. I'll go try a few on at the local D***'s store.
Did you have to ask for the sheep lining? Or do they put that on be default?

Thanks, I no longer have the tan one but it was a nice mitt but I just preferred the steerhide over the kip leather but the kip was definitely much lighter. It takes some time getting used to using a mitt at first and some don't care for it. I can't see myself not using a mitt because it definitely helps with scooping the ball on those bad throws. I'd hit the sporting goods stores and see if they have any mitts on hand to get a better idea if this is something you want. GW has many options not noted on their builder but if you put it in the notes they will usually make it happen. Donald I believe the owner was really easy to work with. He is in China so it can take a couple days to hear back from him via email but he will reply. If you or anyone need any specific pictures or specs just let me know, good luck.

Junior_SD

Manager
Great info, thanks Junior. I'll go try a few on at the local D***'s store.
Did you have to ask for the sheep lining? Or do they put that on be default?

You're welcome.

It came standard. One thing I would ask GW is to add some padding or a piece of leather to the palm area. I don't like palm pads but the GW definitely needs something to help take the sting off especially if you play with a SS with a good arm.

I believe I still have the notes for my order with the specific web dimensions but I believe that is also in the thread I posted. If you need any help just shoot me a PM when you're ready and I will try and help as best as I can.

Bow Commander

I placed my order with Gloveworks this morning, Junior. I decided to go glove instead of mitt, softball pattern, 13'. I asked them to add a layer of leather in the palm, and put their "gloveworks" logo stamp on the palm instead of the "game day" stamp. Added a log to the wrist. I did a wheat and black combo with red stitching. Can't wait til it comes in!

You're welcome.

It came standard. One thing I would ask GW is to add some padding or a piece of leather to the palm area. I don't like palm pads but the GW definitely needs something to help take the sting off especially if you play with a SS with a good arm.

I believe I still have the notes for my order with the specific web dimensions but I believe that is also in the thread I posted. If you need any help just shoot me a PM when you're ready and I will try and help as best as I can.

Junior_SD

Manager
I placed my order with Gloveworks this morning, Junior. I decided to go glove instead of mitt, softball pattern, 13'. I asked them to add a layer of leather in the palm, and put their "gloveworks" logo stamp on the palm instead of the "game day" stamp. Added a log to the wrist. I did a wheat and black combo with red stitching. Can't wait til it comes in!

Nice, post up some pictures when you receive it. As for the extra padding in the palm I was specifically talking about the first base mitt but if you will be using it primarily for first base then I don't foresee any issues. I don't own a GW glove just a mitt so I can't comment but I don't think it will hurt anything. Good call on the palm stamp, I did the same thing on my pro-steerhide.

Bow Commander

Nice, post up some pictures when you receive it. As for the extra padding in the palm I was specifically talking about the first base mitt but if you will be using it primarily for first base then I don't foresee any issues. I don't own a GW glove just a mitt so I can't comment but I don't think it will hurt anything. Good call on the palm stamp, I did the same thing on my pro-steerhide.

@Junior_SD , I received my glove from Gloveworks a couple weeks ago. Very happy customer. Game Day, softball 13", wheat and black. Extra palm pad was a solid decision, glad I did that. It's much thicker than the Marucci Founder's Series kip 1b mitt I have. It's not nearly as stiff, as expected. Darn near game ready when I got it. Feels great on the hand, nice size pocket. Here's a couple pics.
glove1.jpeg glove2.jpeg glove3.jpeg

Junior_SD

Manager
That turned out very nice, congrats! You can't beat the price point especially when GW is running a promotion. IMO it's a better glove than a Rawlings gamer and with endless customization options which makes it a great deal. Glad you're happy with the palm pad and overall glove, enjoy!

Bow Commander

That turned out very nice, congrats! You can't beat the price point especially when GW is running a promotion. IMO it's a better glove than a Rawlings gamer and with endless customization options which makes it a great deal. Glad you're happy with the palm pad and overall glove, enjoy!

Thanks, Junior! Yea the 20% promo makes it awfully tempting for another. Thanks for posting the info about yours on this site. There's not a whole lot of it on the interwebs.

ronaldosw

Some of the best first-base gloves on the market, these brands offer the most premium first-timers baseball gloves: Rawlings, Wilson, Mizuno.