USSSA Illegal ball

(Unfamiliar with USSSA rulebook and looked 15 minutes for this).

Team hits a foul ball out of play, throws a GSL ball in. Pitcher sees it, pitches, and the ball is put into play. Our understanding was that you had to wait until the ball was put into play and then protest it. That is what happened. Umps said you must protest before the ball is in play. Once it is in play, it is assumed legal and you can continue to play with it. This was the UIC and the tournament director's call.

This makes no sense to me because it's entirely possible that you could get a stadium ball in without detection by the pitcher (because there are dozens of balls thrown during games) and then get to hit that ball the rest of the game, or until it's hit out of play.

Oh yeah, and we won the game. ;)

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
When the ball was put in play, did the ball meet the bat or did the bat meet the ball?

Country469

Like even if you pitch it to one batter, you can always tell them its not legal and take it back out of out play. Just once its been hit into play, you gotta finish that play like any other ball. Bottom line, pitchers job to check and falls on him.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Incorrect, It is the umpires job to make sure that the ball meets the requirements to be put into play. If your umpire had been doing their job correctly they should have gotten a spare ball from the team beforehand that was legal. Once the unapproved ball was discovered it should have been removed and an approved ball put into play.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I only care in freedom. In freedom, you just throw it to the catcher and the batter is out. Everything else, the umps just switched the ball with nothing else done so I just throw it back to the bench now. Unless it's a worse ball.