ASA Illegal Bat Challenge

TMAC187

Addicted to Softballfans
I play in an intramural league on a military installation and we follow ASA obviously. Tonight during our game the entire opposing roster used one bat the entire time and each player hit homeruns with it. I realize it's a hitter's game etc and we didn't hit and no I don't mind losing but what is the procedure for challenging that the bat is altered. The bat in question is the 2015 OG Aftermath and while I understand it is a good bat there were guys hitting HR's that had no business doing so and when asked to use a different bat they all had nothing to say. Thanks.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
There's no "official" way to challenge a bat in ASA. Ask the umpire to look at it. That's all you can do, but don't expect him/her to find much - some of these bat doctors are friggin' Picassos.

Some leagues do have a "bat protest" procedure, but again, good luck with that (see above).

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
Km you're not going to like this but!

I play in an intramural league on a military installation and we follow ASA obviously. Tonight during our game the entire opposing roster used one bat the entire time and each player hit homeruns with it. I realize it's a hitter's game etc and we didn't hit and no I don't mind losing but what is the procedure for challenging that the bat is altered. The bat in question is the 2015 OG Aftermath and while I understand it is a good bat there were guys hitting HR's that had no business doing so and when asked to use a different bat they all had nothing to say. Thanks.

This is something you'll have to take up with your league. What is their policy on handling bat protests? Unless you have a bat tester on site it's normally pretty expensive to send a bat to have it tested. It requires cutting the bat open. If it's a legal bat the league would probably have to replace it.

What can be done (we teach our umpires this technique) is to have the umpire remove the bat from the game because in his judgement the bat is unsafe. You're not accusing anyone of cheating you're simply removing equipment you feel is unsafe.

Were there other bats available for the team to use? Or did they really only have one bat?

dtrotd

Coach
The fact that the entire team was swinging one bat, tells the story!
But since nobody got hurt it would be very hard to get the bat pulled. This is where your league rules come into play!

vlcmstnaz

volcom stone az
1. The aftermath is a great bat. 2. If it was doctored (shaved or even rolled) it would not hold up with team use.

MaverickAH

"We got beat so they must be using a juiced bat."

A team using one bat is in no way concrete evidence.

• Maybe it was the best/only bat available for them.
  • Maybe it was a new bat they were breaking in.

Who are you to say who should be hitting a HR & who shouldn't? I've seen all different body types hit legitimate HR's. It's not all about being 6'2" & muscled up.

As vlcmstnaz says, a Demarini is not the bat to doctor.

dtrotd

Coach
I can't believe people are actually trying to make up justifications
In today's game with each manufacturer making 5-7 USSSA/ASA bats per company if not more...

Every player is swinging the same stick!!!
It's blatant

When you watch for altered bats, You don't look at just the size of the person swinging, you look at swing speed. I've seen guys that are 5'6 125lbs soaking wet take half cuts and still park it 350ft. Regardless of ball used, that slow of a swing speed should not generate that much power!

Joker

I can't believe people are actually trying to make up justifications
In today's game with each manufacturer making 5-7 USSSA/ASA bats per company if not more...

Every player is swinging the same stick!!!
It's blatant

When you watch for altered bats, You don't look at just the size of the person swinging, you look at swing speed. I've seen guys that are 5'6 125lbs soaking wet take half cuts and still park it 350ft. Regardless of ball used, that slow of a swing speed should not generate that much power!

oh ?

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
Here's the thing, no one on here knows if its altered or not. Those saying that everyone was swinging it is proof that its altered are wrong. I've seen teams with a shaved bat that only one person swings, I've seen rec teams all swinging the same Easton Hammer. There are tons of reasons why people swing a given bat, none of it is proof if the bat is altered or not altered. I will say the og aftermath isn't known for its durability, I broke one in under 500 swings. If this bat is dirty and the whole team is swinging it and hitting bombs that thing won't last a season, it may not even last a full game.

What can be done (we teach our umpires this technique) is to have the umpire remove the bat from the game because in his judgement the bat is unsafe. You're not accusing anyone of cheating you're simply removing equipment you feel is unsafe.

The umpire taking the bat out of play for safety reasons is a cop out and a terrible idea that just sets up for more issues. What happens when OPs team hits a couple balls hard with one of their bats and the other teams expects you to even up the situation and take their bat out of play. What happens when the same batter comes up next at bat and hits a ball just as hard with a different bat are we going to just keep bats out of play for being unsafe because someone who can mash is swinging them? Umpires have enough unpopular judgement call to make, asking them to determine based on hard hit balls which bat hits "to hard" is setting them up for failure. It doesn't take a genius to realize that its the roundabout way to accuse someone of swinging dirty, plus you piss off players who paid good money for a bat based 100% on a split second judgment or you encourage players to whine about the other teams bats to get their bats labeled unsafe and removed. What happens the next week or the next time the two teams play and there is a different ump but the guy is legally swinging his bat again. Now we have people getting pissy because the bat was unsafe last week and now the new ump is saying its not, who is wrong is it this weeks ump or last weeks? This is one of the worst ideas for dealing with altered bats I have heard, you either need to get a bat tester or other way of standardizing which bats are allowed or just allow all legally stamped bats.

Last edited:

decadus

Starting Player
You are really saying the bat was dirty just because the whole team was swinging it and smaller guys were hitting well?