Illegal Bat

GaBo

USA/ASA Senior Softball - I know that the penalty for using an illegal bat is that the batter is out and ejected. Can a substitute take their place and bat in that position the next time thru the batting order? If there is no substitute available, is that batting position an out each time thru the order or does the order get 'closed up'?

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes if a sub is available they take that spot in the order next time thru, if no sub available it is an out for that batting position, unless as UncleMosk states there are rules for a particular league/tourney.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Straight up USA rules - an illegal bat results in an out. An altered or non-approved bat results in an ejection. Semantics, sure.

Assuming the OP meant a non-approved/altered bat, that would result in an out and ejection and if no substitute is available, the game is forfeited by the now shorthanded team.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
By the book, if a player gets ejected and you do not have a substitute immediately available, it is a forfeit. Rule 4.1.D.2.A
Every league I've ever been involved with is either an out for very competitive leagues or condense the batting order for most of them. In USA tournaments, if I'm given a lineup card that doesn't list any subs we are supposed to verify that they understand what that means in case of injury or ejection.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Our non senior league would allow us to continue with nine players as leagues are dying and it is not the fault of everyone that showed up on time. As for the senior/ 52 and older league that I haven't played in cause of the dumb crap that goes on, would deal with it in the same manner with the exception of the one team that has the league douche bag on it that will try to get a win any way he can and would probably just take the forfeit.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
Our non senior league would allow us to continue with nine players as leagues are dying and it is not the fault of everyone that showed up on time. As for the senior/ 52 and older league that I haven't played in cause of the dumb crap that goes on, would deal with it in the same manner with the exception of the one team that has the league douche bag on it that will try to get a win any way he can and would probably just take the forfeit.
Certainly leagues and tournaments can make whatever exceptions they desire to, especially when it comes to a desire to continue play. Enforcing a forfeit after a player ejection may seem extreme and especially in a league night where you're just lucky to get enough to play seems extreme but the rules are written with championship play in mind, NOT after work league night play, or even plastic trophy tournaments play.

As an umpire, I'd rather call ball than go home early. Rules are rules, though. Whatever ruleset is in place on a game I take, I will use/enforce.