NSA Illegal Pitch?

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
Alright. I read the book, but still have a question about the possibility of an illegal pitch. Had it happen to us last night, didn't change anything about the game, but still curious.

Pitcher is on the rubber, sends the ball toward the batter, then steps back like he's winding up. Would that be an illegal motion resulting in an illegal pitch?

Thoughts on the matter are appreciated. Thanks.

Speed Demon

Part Time Player
Sounds more like a "fake out" or "mind games" to me. After the ball leaves the pitcher's hand, I don't think there's a rule that explains what a pitcher can do when the ball is traveling to the home plate area.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
There are rules in place in some associations that say that no fielders can distract the batter.

Not word for word but, that is the idea.

I'm sure that was helpful :)

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm a pitcher, and I would consider that a d-bag move even if it's somehow legal, which I don't believe it is. I don't believe the pitcher can make a pitching motion after he has released the ball.

I consider this similar to running up in the box while sticking your head over the plate to try and distract the pitcher. Solve it by blowing up the middle a few times, and when he whines, tell him you were distracted by his d-bag move and reflexively hit it at the distraction.

slick303

B(.)(.)BS
I'm a pitcher, and I would consider that a d-bag move even if it's somehow legal, which I don't believe it is. I don't believe the pitcher can make a pitching motion after he has released the ball.

I consider this similar to running up in the box while sticking your head over the plate to try and distract the pitcher. Solve it by blowing up the middle a few times, and when he whines, tell him you were distracted by his d-bag move and reflexively hit it at the distraction.

But blowing middle and possibly seriously injuring someone isn't a d-bag move.