I'm dumb - batting gloves question ON THE BASES

Bro Mo

Addicted to Softballfans
So I got my yard mowed, all other yard work done, the wife is happy, so I've been watching tons of MLB in the last hour (and of course the Preakness is just starting!!!).

ANYWAY...... my question is, I know why MLB players keep their batting gloves on while on the bases. I do as well as I am a head first slider when need be and at the appropriate time. What I noticed is, while they all/most keep them on when they reach base, they all unstrap their batting gloves :confused:

Why is this??? I always keep mine on and strapped on tight..... there has got to be something I'm missing??? Can you tear them up easier if the strap is still on??? Can it chop off your wrist somehow??? Help, I'm not scared since the end of the world didn't happen :rolleyes:

jstrong

They love to hate me
Each persons preference. You can rest assured your hands will not fall off if you keep your gloves strapped up.

kkoenig1

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey bro, just a heads up! I teach the kids I coach to hold them in their hands so when they do dive head first they can't break their fingers. Cuz if you wear them, when you stretch your arm out, naturally you extend your fingers and you can very easly break them on the bag. But I do agree with the others. You should prolly do what feels most comfortable!

Bro Mo

Addicted to Softballfans
going point! Thanks Koenig! I did search google and sbf and I found a lot of people holding the gloves in their hand, but it just confused me :confused: watching the games today seeing how many just unwrapped them but left them on. I'll just keep them tight and hope I don't break any fingers :)

magicman

now you see me...
My left fielder did this 2 weeks ago (sliding head into 2nd...giggity) fingers out...not broken but sprained real bad, has no insurance or money to pay for it to get it actually looked at by a doc...he's starting to be able to make a fist but for now he's out

weiner75

Addicted to Softballfans
I was taught when I was younger to always take the gloves off so you don't break your fingers. This has saved me a few times I went in head first and jammed my hand into the base.

Tom819

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey bro, just a heads up! I teach the kids I coach to hold them in their hands so when they do dive head first they can't break their fingers. Cuz if you wear them, when you stretch your arm out, naturally you extend your fingers and you can very easly break them on the bag. But I do agree with the others. You should prolly do what feels most comfortable!

Many major leaguers do this also.

I can't think of any off hand but I have seen them.

kkoenig1

Addicted to Softballfans
I make all the kids do this. For the simple reason. Last season our number 1 pitcher and number 4 hitter missed 1/2 his senior year due to broken fingerS. Thankfully he already had a scholarship. but that made me make EVERYONE do it.

tchaos7

Addicted to Softballfans
This is a serious question? 9 out of 10 times i take them off and hold in my hands, just because it was what i was always taught, but i mean is this really a "serious" thread over whether you should keep your batting loves on/off on the base paths? I'm guessing you never played baseball...?

TinMan4Dub

Weekend Warrior
I notice that most of the Rangers put em in their pocket once on base.

/\/\/\/\ I notice this often as well. However, I too unstap my gloves not to look cool but because when up to bat I like them tight on my hands and to prevent them from stretching out I undo the velcro. I can not speak for others though.

Benched02

Addicted to Softballfans
Each persons preference. You can rest assured your hands will not fall off if you keep your gloves strapped up.

Depends on how tight is gloves are, he could be cutting off circulation. Then they would have to amputate his hands.

kja

Da Gooooochi
So I got my yard mowed, all other yard work done, the wife is happy, so I've been watching tons of MLB in the last hour (and of course the Preakness is just starting!!!).

ANYWAY...... my question is, I know why MLB players keep their batting gloves on while on the bases. I do as well as I am a head first slider when need be and at the appropriate time. What I noticed is, while they all/most keep them on when they reach base, they all unstrap their batting gloves :confused:

Why is this??? I always keep mine on and strapped on tight..... there has got to be something I'm missing??? Can you tear them up easier if the strap is still on??? Can it chop off your wrist somehow??? Help, I'm not scared since the end of the world didn't happen :rolleyes:

I didn't know i was doing it like the pros...:cool:

The Crimedog

Best ASA Baterator

I've seen MLB players do this and had no idea why, now I know.