I'm starting to wonder about Monsta customer service

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
^^^Dates on this please^^^ Not a Monsta lover, but I see a lot of hate on both sides. Find it ridiculous myself. Copied from the ASA website:

ASA TESTING & CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
2004 ASA Certified Bats

Monsta Athletics 16SPBLCA1 Bombardier 1/26/2016

Maybe Carl will learn to subcontract manufacturing to a Chinese factory employing 10 year-olds like most of the major manufacturers do. Maybe he will learn not to take things so personally, or he will sublet that part too so he doesn't tarnish what appears to be a very good technological breakthrough in bats.

Watched most of the Monsta videos, and maybe my 45 year-old eyes are blind, but the ball comes off the bat like a Utrip bat IMHO. Can't say how much more than other top-tier bats, but it appear to be noticeable to the naked eye. Yeah, I'm an D/E player and I just bought one just to see what the hype was about. I view it like buying a NR Demarini, Miken, or Easton (as I posted before) so I don't get my panties in a wad.

And those "rec guy clowns" won a B tourney? If they're rec guys, then the bat just gave them a hell of a boost, so there must be something to it. Otherwise, they should be using Hammers at the Super Worlds to separate the men from the boys.

:violin:

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
The other rumor I'm hearing. In all honesty no proof to be fair.

He don't have the upfront money to have bats built. He is placing the bat orders with monies collected from preorders. Maybe somebody else has more info on subject.

RustyShakleford

"Watched most of the Monsta videos, and maybe my 45 year-old eyes are blind, but the ball comes off the bat like a Utrip bat IMHO. Can't say how much more than other top-tier bats, but it appear to be noticeable to the naked eye."

Not sure what this means since USSSA bats are behind ASA bats

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Is it true that these bats are the best bat on the market for hitting water balloons...and only water balloons?

Oh sure, good for birthday parties and water fights.

Maybe that's why nearly every selling thread has a PM or sold in 2 hours on this site. :rolleyes:

Most small businesses fail because they are ill-prepared for catching lightning in a bottle. Sounds like Carl's personality is ill-fitted to succeed. That's why engineers rarely make good CEOs.

Anderson bats were the fa****zle not long ago, and where are they now?

freak98guy

Place Clever Title Here
From what I've seen over the last 6 months, Carl has a tendency to go haywire and it's pretty hard to know why sometimes. I think he honestly thought the bombardier would pass ASA certs with ease and it just didn't. Going back to my original post about how his dates get him in trouble, I think he's also overly optimistic about everything and just assumes the best possible outcome will actually be what takes place. Anyone in business will tell you that you can't approach things like that, especially on social media. So when the bat that he took pre orders on and told everyone is pretty much ready to be made can't pass certification, it's a recipe for pissed off customers and also a group of people who will go out of their way to dissuade others from buying from him. He might be closer to figuring that out now but I wouldn't bet on it.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
From what I've seen over the last 6 months, Carl has a tendency to go haywire and it's pretty hard to know why sometimes. I think he honestly thought the bombardier would pass ASA certs with ease and it just didn't. Going back to my original post about how his dates get him in trouble, I think he's also overly optimistic about everything and just assumes the best possible outcome will actually be what takes place. Anyone in business will tell you that you can't approach things like that, especially on social media. So when the bat that he took pre orders on and told everyone is pretty much ready to be made can't pass certification, it's a recipe for pissed off customers and also a group of people who will go out of their way to dissuade others from buying from him. He might be closer to figuring that out now but I wouldn't bet on it.

^^^This^^^

z00ted 85

Addicted to Softballfans
Oh sure, good for birthday parties and water fights.

Maybe that's why nearly every selling thread has a PM or sold in 2 hours on this site. :rolleyes:

Most small businesses fail because they are ill-prepared for catching lightning in a bottle. Sounds like Carl's personality is ill-fitted to succeed. That's why engineers rarely make good CEOs.

Anderson bats were the fa****zle not long ago, and where are they now?

Steven is no longer running the show at Anderson. Their current status has nothing to do with an engineer being the CEO.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Steven is no longer running the show at Anderson. Their current status has nothing to do with an engineer being the CEO.

What I'm saying is, are they titans like the big boys? I think not.

Sam Walton once said if you want to beat Walmart, you have to offer better customer service so people will want to pay more for the product regardless.

Kinda became pointless after a while when most of America wants to ***** about losing American jobs but want us to charge the cheap Chinese prices built on basically slave wages and kiddie labor.

Kinda think the getting the high prices and selling out quickly might have to do more with unanticipated demand, which will drive the price, but the poor customer service will eventually extinguish that hot demand.

Then again, appears Carl doesn't give a rat's ass, and that's his prerogative. He knows what he has, just has no sense of what to do with it. Not looking for Monsta to become the next Demarini, the big boys are too stacked against that, just like Walmart.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

Your previous post it sounds like you're kind of defending him, but when you compare what you said to an actual business it's really hilarious. If someone ordered a bat from SBF and had to wait an extra 30-45 days on average, nobody would ever shop here again. Add in the number of people that have had their orders cancelled for asking the status of their order, and he's like a Bizarro bat company. He's running a super secret fraternity, and to get in you have to wait patiently for your bat to arrive without ever asking where it is.

I love to support the little guy, but what gets him in trouble are his stupidity and his mouth. He insulted, in horrible terms, the owners of this site to them and on this board because he wanted them to pay the same price for his bats that he then wanted them to sell them for here. He wanted them to carry his bats and make zero profit. Then there's the way he talked to them, and all of his actual customers. Those are his real problems. Everything else is just added hilarity.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
Your previous post it sounds like you're kind of defending him, but when you compare what you said to an actual business it's really hilarious. If someone ordered a bat from SBF and had to wait an extra 30-45 days on average, nobody would ever shop here again. Add in the number of people that have had their orders cancelled for asking the status of their order, and he's like a Bizarro bat company. He's running a super secret fraternity, and to get in you have to wait patiently for your bat to arrive without ever asking where it is.

I love to support the little guy, but what gets him in trouble are his stupidity and his mouth. He insulted, in horrible terms, the owners of this site to them and on this board because he wanted them to pay the same price for his bats that he then wanted them to sell them for here. He wanted them to carry his bats and make zero profit. Then there's the way he talked to them, and all of his actual customers. Those are his real problems. Everything else is just added hilarity.

Exactly, which is why I bought mine used from the bay so I wouldn't have to deal with it. Not running out and selling my other bats and worshiping at the Monsta altar, but gonna give it a whirl, and if I like it and if it breaks, I will consider it to be just like a broken NR Flipper.

TRaj2327

yeah, only rec players swing monster...must have been why they just won some ASA B tourney in OKC

I'd put a lot of money on the fact that a bunch of guys didn't just come together and say, "let's start an ASA team and swing Monsta bats." Furthermore, a bunch of guys don't just come together and start a B ASA team. B ASA teams are secondary to USSSA sanctioned teams and typically come together for the national tournament after the USSSA season is over. Odds are Carl was the majority sponsor (hence the name) and likely with the help of Dacko handpicked their guys. Swinging Monsta was just one of the requirements of playing.

And I'm sure the players swinging them had nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

This.

lcky3

Addicted to Softballfans
I've read several players on SBF alone eyewitness that the Monsta was easily outhitting other bats. Are they all Monsta pitchmen? I doubt it.

When I made my comparison of Monsta videos to other players, I wasn't watching some E rec dude outhitting an A guy using a different bat. I try to compare apples to apples.

pears

Addicted to Softballfans
I sent a few emails to monsta about the ship dates on the Torch. I not once got a douche reply about it. My questions were answered and I got my bat. I've got nothing to ***** about

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I'm on the fence. I swung Demarini's for the local leagues that use ASA bats and Mikens for UTrip tourneys. I really liked the Demarinis for ASA. Once I swung Monsta I was impressed. I didn't like the feel of the DNA (I'm one of the few) but I love the Boogeyman. The weighting just fits my swing.

I will say I ordered a bat and wasn't crazy about the weighting once I got the bat. I emailed them not expecting much and they replied right away and said if I sent them the bat they would re-weight it to what I wanted and they did that. I just paid shipping. I was floored no other bat company would do that.

On the other hand, I've seen Carl just rip into people and once he gets upset with someone he throws temper tantrums and bans them from all things Monsta. I ordered the Bombadier when the website said it would be shipped on 9/11. I got the bat in February. I was still swinging my Boogeyman so I wasn't in a hurry for the Bomb.

The Monsta bats are hot. They hold their resale value better than most bats because they perform and there are limited numbers. I bought a Demarini 2015 Juggy for $220 when it came out. A year later, it had 50 hits on it and the bat is worth $120-140ish. I bought a DNA for $220. That bat would still sell today for $220.

Their following is rather cult like but people like what they like. How many glove threads do I see on here where guys only want Wilson PI gloves? They know what they like and they don't want anything else. His attitude towards potential customers is bad. Terrible sometimes. If he would have stuck to making bats and had someone else do his PR and manage the public side, he would probably have twice as much money as he does now.

warningtrack24

Extra Hitter
I got 3 of my bats as promised. Lots of things can go wrong when you are using preorder money to pay for bats that have not passed cert. I don't agree with some of the practices, but it is what it is.

If you are a member on their facebook page or know a rep where you can stay up on the news of the bat, you should have no problems. If you wait til the bat is "in stock" on their website and ready for order, you should have no problems. If you are a guy that doesn't know much about the company and visit their site without any knowledge how they run the show, you may be disappointed. Its not Amazon, there isn't going to be a Drone dropping your bat off 5 minutes after they build the bat.

I got word that i was being relocated for work. I called the shop, they changed my address without issue.

I ordered the wrong weight, they answered the phone, changed the order and i got the corrected weight.

In terms of the bat itself. I was not a big fan of the DNA for myself. We have 3-4 guys on the team that absolutely bomb with it. Last year, although we had the DNA, i used my USA aftermath because it simply was more consistent for me. HOWEVER, i have swung this Torch outside and I was hitting shots ive never hit before. Obviously there is a problem with personalities clashing regarding this company, but i absolutely believe in their product right now.

Love, wish i had a mullet and camaro guy.

Jkmbones

Mizuno. Next Question?
If the bats were junk, average, or poorly constructed they wouldn't be selling like hot cakes. Especially when people are buying them knowing you could be waiting an extra 30 days, and know in advance the customer service is subpar. Disclaimer: IMO.

Reminds me of a good ball player I know with a bad attitude ... Once his skills declined a little nobody wanted to play ball with him.

Longball 28

Repping the Vinci
The other rumor I'm hearing. In all honesty no proof to be fair.

He don't have the upfront money to have bats built. He is placing the bat orders with monies collected from preorders. Maybe somebody else has more info on subject.

I know the first 3 preorder he tooks he didn't have the money and used the preorder money to fund the certification and building of the bats. He would often brag on the Monstard page about how they were the only bat compnay in the world that was completely 100% debt free. That was because he used everyone elses money to pay for everything.

Well if this is true then he shouldn't guarantee when people order their bats and are told on the phone that the bat has already passed certification and is heading into production in less than 2 weeks and you post the same thing on the website you better damn well not be hoping to pass.. It damn well better have already passed and if I remember correctly my buddy placed his order in December of 2014 and the bats were supposed to be shipped at the end of Feb. or beginning of March. When Carl flipped out and canceled his order it was already May and they still hadn't even passed certification and the Monstard Reps just kept telling everyone to relax it will be worth it. Last I heard those Bombardiers weren't even shipped as of Aug. 2015... Far cry from 30-45 days and just another flat out lie told my a power hungry ****ing dwarf....

bird25

34/30 Club #25
I guess my point is, I could give a rat's ass how far Monstas hit. They're poorly constructed junk. They make Combats look good and are WAAAAYYY overpriced. The customer service nightmares and constantly wondering about the bats' legality is just icing on the cake.

Anyone who buys these things for retail price seems to have more money than common sense. Always looking for the bat that will allow them to hit the ball the furthest while putting in the least work.

I seem to be having more and more problems with blanket statements like this. I bought a DNA for retail and am very happy with my purchase. It was $150 cheaper than the best new Easton and since I only hit 52s I doubt I'll ever break it. I had no issues with supporting a small company that made a product that performs, in my opinion on par with any other Asa bat I have swung.

I do feel for anybody that has been wronged by the owner and it is very unfortunate that his personal customer service seems to be so poor, but the employee I talked to about my order was very helpful and efficient so it's too bad that those people are lumped in with him.

And by the way, I have lost a little pop as I've gotten older so I will be swinging a senior bat when I turn 50 instead of a utrip.:eek:

u234bob

Blah Blah Blah
I have monsta and demar.
Carl is a douche that's for sure.
When I got my mosta I got it second hand. I won't give Carl my $$

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
Someone asked one of their tourney players what they were swinging last weekend. The player said a mix of 27 and 28 Bombadiers. Monsta DOESNT make an ASA sanctioned 28 oz Bombadier, because it wont pass certification. I asked about this 28 Bombadier, and Carl himself replied and said they dont make a 28 oz bat, and said the player didnt know what he was talking about. SO basically he said his player is too stupid to see that the 28 oz bat he was swinging was actually only a 27, since the 28 would be an illegal bat. :thumb:

King Hippo

Star Player
I've got a question. Of the ASA bats I've swung, demarini performs the best, for me anyway. Are the monsta bats really that much better than demarini? If not, then why even bother with this company? I don't know anything about monsta other than what I've read on SBF. But why deal with potentially bad service and illegal bats, unless the product is head and shoulders above everything else on the market? I actually put a decent amount of work into being a better hitter. It makes sense to me if I put in the work, I should get a top performing bat to complement my ability. Why work on your swing and then use a subpar bat? But, from what I've seen on this board I have no interest in buying a monsta, unless a bunch of people say they're actually that great.

bird25

34/30 Club #25
For Asa my gamers are the DNA and USA aftermath. If demarini had released a 30 oz USA from the beginning I probably wouldn't have ordered a DNA.

I got the monsta since it came in a 30 oz el and it felt a lot better better to me than the lighter demarinis. Now since I picked up a 30 USA I would game either one and not skip a beat.

Really interested to see how my new juggy matches up once it gets broken in.

King Hippo

Star Player
I'd be interested to see how you like the juggy vs USA. So that was my point. If the demarinis are just as good, why bother with the hassle.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Someone asked one of their tourney players what they were swinging last weekend. The player said a mix of 27 and 28 Bombadiers. Monsta DOESNT make an ASA sanctioned 28 oz Bombadier, because it wont pass certification. I asked about this 28 Bombadier, and Carl himself replied and said they dont make a 28 oz bat, and said the player didnt know what he was talking about. SO basically he said his player is too stupid to see that the 28 oz bat he was swinging was actually only a 27, since the 28 would be an illegal bat. :thumb:

Or he sent it in and they reweighted it like they did for Sully. If Monsta ever starts to take a real piece of the pie, I have a feeling that the big boys will fund some undercover work that will get his only association cert pulled. He's already burned the UTrip bridge.