Infield Fly Rule

mtinich

The Veteran
So I have a question guys! Well the other night, there was a guy on 1st and 2nd and the hitter hit a fly ball to me (the pitcher). I accidentally dropped it because I thought the guy on 2nd was leading off and what not after the hit. Well the ump had already called infield fly rule. After I dropped it, the guy on 2nd acted like he was taking off for 3rd, I threw to second and the ump called him safe even though he left for 3rd and then came back to second. I always thought the rule was that the runner could leave at his own will. Should the guy at 2nd be out because he left for 3rd after I dropped it or should he be considered safe? I talked with the ump and he said that the rule saves the runner from the double play, but that was not the intention... I accidentally dropped it, he ran to 3rd and hesitated and went back to second where he was tagged out. We were winning 23-10 so I wasn't too upset. Let me know what you guys think. Any umps on here would be nice for official ruling.

chris21

Addicted to Softballfans
IMO...if the runner left the base and was tagged out before returning to 2nd and before the play was rule dead, then he should have been out. Seems to me that this play should have been treated as if the runner was picked off.

mtinich

The Veteran
This is an intramural league in college so the umps are just college students, but I tried arguing with him that he is out because he can leave at his own risk, but the ump insisted that the rule was to save runners from getting doubled like that... I wish they would make our college umps go through some sort of training or follow ASA rules or something. The college's rules are their own and it kind of ticks me off a little bit. I wonder if I could get away with using a Utrip bat in the league...

tbatti

Addicted to Softballfans
So I have a question guys! Well the other night, there was a guy on 1st and 2nd and the hitter hit a fly ball to me (the pitcher). I accidentally dropped it because I thought the guy on 2nd was leading off and what not after the hit. Well the ump had already called infield fly rule. After I dropped it, the guy on 2nd acted like he was taking off for 3rd, I threw to second and the ump called him safe even though he left for 3rd and then came back to second. I always thought the rule was that the runner could leave at his own will. Should the guy at 2nd be out because he left for 3rd after I dropped it or should he be considered safe? I talked with the ump and he said that the rule saves the runner from the double play, but that was not the intention... I accidentally dropped it, he ran to 3rd and hesitated and went back to second where he was tagged out. We were winning 23-10 so I wasn't too upset. Let me know what you guys think. Any umps on here would be nice for official ruling.

No, he was tagged a few feet off the base.

If the ump didn't rule it was an intentionally dropped ball then the guy on 2 would be out.

Great question, glad you came to me.

The infield fly rule is a baseball rule that is intended to prevent infielders from intentionally dropping pop-ups in order to turn double plays (or triple plays). Without this rule, a defense could easily turn a pop-up into a double play when there are runners at first and second base. If the runners stay near their bases to tag up, the defense could let the ball drop, throw to third base and then to second, for a force-out at each base. If any of the runners stray too far from their base, the defense could catch the pop-up, and double-off any runner that failed to tag up.

When the rule is invoked, the batter will be out (and all force plays removed) regardless of whether the ball is caught, thus negating the possibility for multiple outs

The rule in Major League Baseball, "Infield Fly" is explained by rule 2.00 (Definitions of terms), and rule 6.05e (Batter is out). Other leagues have similar rules.

Since the purpose is to prevent double plays, the rule applies only when there are fewer than two outs, and there is a force play at third base (i.e., there are runners at first and second base, or the bases are loaded). In these situations, if a fly ball is in fair play, and in the umpire's judgment it is catchable by an infielder with ordinary effort, the umpire shall call "infield fly", and the batter will be out regardless of whether the ball is actually caught in flight. Umpires typically raise one arm straight up to signal to everyone that the rule is in effect.

If "infield fly" is called and the fly ball is caught, it is treated exactly as an ordinary fly ball; the batter is out, there is no force, and the runners must tag up. On the other hand, if "infield fly" is called and the ball lands fair without being caught, the batter is still out, and there is no force, but the runners are not required to tag up. In either case, the ball is considered "live", and the runners may advance at the risk of being doubled-off if the ball is caught.

Foul balls- If the fly ball is near the foul lines, the umpire is to declare "infield fly, if fair." If the ball is not caught and ends up foul (including if it lands fair and then rolls foul), infield fly is cancelled, and the play is treated as an ordinary foul ball. In contrast, if the ball lands foul and then rolls fair, infield fly takes effect, and the batter is out.

"Ordinary effort" - any fair fly ball that could have been caught by an infielder with ordinary effort is covered by the rule regardless of where the ball is caught. The ball need not be caught by an infielder, nor must it be caught in the infield. For example, if an infielder retreats to the outfield in an effort to catch a fly ball with ordinary effort, the infield Fly Rule may be invoked, even if an outfielder ultimately caught the ball, and even if no infielder attempted to make a play on the ball. Similarly, a fly ball within the infield that could have been caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, but is caught by an outfielder, would also be covered by the rule.

This rule was introduced in 1895 in response to infielders' intentionally dropping pop-ups to get multiple outs by forcing out the runners on base, who were pinned near their bases while the ball was in the air. For example, with runners on first and second and fewer than two outs, a pop fly is hit to the third baseman. He intentionally allows the fly ball to drop, picks it up, touches third and then throws to second for a double play. Without the Infield Fly Rule it would be an easy double play because both runners will stay near their bases while determining if the ball will be caught.

In the fifth game of the 2008 World Series, Pedro Feliz of the Philadelphia Phillies hit a pop-up to the right side of the infield with runners on first and second and one out, in strong rain and swirling winds at Citizens Bank Park against the Tampa Bay Rays, and the infield fly rule was not invoked. Umpiring crew chief Tim Tschida explained that "The infield fly rule requires the umpires' judgment to determine whether or not a ball can be caught with ordinary effort, and that includes wind" and that the umpire's determination was that in this case there was no infielder who could make the play with "ordinary effort."

Misconceptions - The infield fly rule is not in effect if there is a runner on first only, as the rule-makers assumed fielders would not gain any significant advantage by forcing out the runner rather than the batter; in either case, the net result would be one more out and a runner on first base. Also, an infield fly does not affect baserunners other than the batter, with the exception that a runner hit by an infield fly while standing on a base is not out for interference. Just like any other fly ball, if an infield fly is caught, runners must retouch (or "tag up") their time-of-pitch base before attempting to advance; if an infield fly is not properly caught, no tag up is required and the runners may try to advance.

The infield fly rule cannot be invoked on line drives or bunts; also, the infield fly rule is not intended to cover all situations where the defense may wish to allow a fly ball to drop uncaught. For example, with just a runner on first, an alert infielder might intentionally allow a pop-up to drop to the ground and get the force at second, if it happens that the runner on first is faster afoot than the batter-runner is, or if the batter is loafing on his way to first base. This is only legal if the fielder lets the ball hit the ground untouched, which carries some risk to the fielder as it might bounce away from him. However, in all situations where the infield fly rule does not apply, a different rule (6.05l) prevents fielders from touching a catchable ball and dropping it intentionally in an attempt to turn a double or triple play.

Batter passing another runner - Interestingly, even without the Infield Fly rule, it is occasionally possible that clever play by a batting team with a runner on first base (and possibly second or third) can avoid a double or triple play and in fact ensure that the result is exactly the same as if the Infield Fly rule were in effect. This is true under any circumstance whereby the batter is able to overtake a baserunner before a force play is executed, even when the bases are loaded. The batter can run to first base and stand there while all other baserunners stay where they are (including the one at first base, so that both the first base runner and the batter are standing on first base). If the fielder allows the ball to drop, then the moment the ball touches the ground, the batter can advance toward second base, passing the first base runner and causing himself, the batter, to be called out according to rule 7.08H. According to rule 7.08C, this nullifies the force so that all the baserunners can stay where they are, and will leave the bases loaded if they were already loaded when the batter came to the plate.

In practice, however, in professional baseball and other adult and teen leagues infield flies are usually caught (or occasionally dropped) before the batter can reach first base. In children's leagues, with a shorter distance between home plate and first base, a fast running batter can sometimes reach first base before a high infield fly is playable by the infield. Also, in some little leagues the infield fly rule is not in effect, allowing them to take advantage of the batting team by making a double or triple play.

The Infield Fly Rule and legal theory - The infield fly rule was the subject of one of the most clever and widely cited articles in U.S. legal history. William S. Stevens was a law student in 1975 when he anonymously published “The Common Law Origins of the Infield Fly Rule” in the Univ. of Pennsylvania Law Review. The article was humorous but also insightful on how common law related to codified regulation of behavior. It has been cited in numerous legal decisions and in subsequent literature.

Potential unassisted, untouched, triple playAmong the many unlikely and bizarre scenarios that involve the Infield Fly Rule, in the April 6, 2009 issue of Newsweek, George Will has postulated an "Unassisted, Untouched" Triple Play. In this scenario, there are runners on first and second. The Infield Fly Rule is invoked so the batter is out. The runner on first base advances to second and continues, passing the runner on second, making him automatically out. Finally, the pop-up drops and hits the runner who was on second base after he leaves the base (if he is standing on the base during an infield fly rule call and the ball hits him he is not out, but the ball becomes dead and the play is over), making this the third out. All of this happens without a single defensive player touching the ball.

The bizarre twist to this is how it would be scored. In the case of an infield fly rule, the official scorer decides which fielder was most likely to have caught the ball, and assigns the first out to that player. The out for passing a runner is assigned to the closest fielder, as is the third out for being hit by the ball. It is quite possible in such a scenario that the same fielder would be given credit for all three outs, most likely the shortstop or second baseman.

A "judgment call" - In the official Major League Baseball rulebook, the infield fly rule is considered a judgment call, which means that the judgment of the umpire must govern. It also states that the rule is to be called immediately and is solely based on the umpire’s discretion and there is no option for an appeal. Since different umpires may have different definitions of “ordinary effort,” the rule may be implemented differently depending on the umpire.

This was just what I could recall right now, after I get home and have a soft taco I'll expand on it later.

Hope this helps.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
An infield fly is treated the same as any fly ball.

If the runner was tagged while off the base, they should have been out.

You have to remember that Itramural officials are not highly trained and you should expect mistakes from time to time.

Joel

Triple7

Addicted to Softballfans
This is an intramural league in college so the umps are just college students, but I tried arguing with him that he is out because he can leave at his own risk, but the ump insisted that the rule was to save runners from getting doubled like that... I wish they would make our college umps go through some sort of training or follow ASA rules or something. The college's rules are their own and it kind of ticks me off a little bit. I wonder if I could get away with using a Utrip bat in the league...

then there is no reason to even post this....you know he is wrong.

GrizcoN

The Rookie
The way my leagues have always done it was if they call infield fly the ball is dead and all runners stay at the base they were on. It keeps it simple.

hitsone

the guy should have been out on the tag.
Infield fly has said it all.
wonder how he could possibly expand it more......taco or not.

GrizcoN

The Rookie
that's dumb

It is what it is in that league. The umps we have are horrible and probably by far the worst you will ever see. One of the umps sometimes calls plays from the bench because she can't stand anymore. She weights around 300lbs. She also has an in with ld and we can't get rid of her. It sucks!