NSA infield fly rule

koz

Addicted to Softballfans
Ok, I know that a infielder cannot intentionally drop a infield fly, but can he let it intentionally drop?

tuells10

hitting slow rollers to the pitcher is my game
If infield fly is called yes he can let it drop. And if it is not called I'll let it drop and row two every chance I get

sjury

The Old Man
It doesn't matter if the ball is dropped or caught the batter is still out. After it's called the runners do not have to advance, but can do so at their own risk.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Any fielder can allow a fly ball to drop to the ground...even if the infield fly rule is not in effect.

I agree...for most all other baseball or softball rule sets. But NSA does say that purposely allowing a catchable ball to drop, without touching it, is an intentionally dropped ball. I'm not aware of any other sanctioning body that rules it that way.

However, when the infield fly is in effect, it takes precedence over an intentionally dropped ball. Since the batter is already out on the infield fly a fielder should gain no advantage by intentionally dropping the ball. The runners aren't forced to advance, so if they take off it's just a dumb move on their part.

These two rules protect the runners from being put in jeopardy by the fielder's deceit. They do not protect the runners from their own stupidity.

MaverickAH

If infield fly is called yes he can let it drop. And if it is not called I'll let it drop and row two every chance I get

FTR, the infield fly can be enforced retroactively if an umpire makes the determination that it should've been called.

Is it possible the OP doesn't mean the infield fly rule and is referring to a pop fly to the infield and what the intentional drop criteria is?

sjury

The Old Man
Is it possible the OP doesn't mean the infield fly rule and is referring to a pop fly to the infield and what the intentional drop criteria is?

Ahhh AH...The OP says infield fly, but doesn't say whether it was called or not, that would be a good piece of info to have.