Info on Rawlings SG79 glove ?

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
Just picked up a cool old Rawlings. Model is marked as: "SG" 79 . It has a dual post open web with Spin Stopper. Has a single dot date code and was made in Japan.
Anyone have any info on this glove?
thanks!

TeacherMan78

Addicted to Softballfans
I had the SG76b growing up...made probably in the mid 80's to early 90's...SG stands for softball glove...quality would be a step below hoh, but probably better than the gold gloves today

ogWarlock78

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks!

I think I've figured out the 1-dot date code is most probably 1986.

Rawlings_SG79_2.jpg

Rawlings_SG79_1.jpg

L.Titan

I have a story for you Warlock. My wife was given that exact glove to her by her grandfather when she was 14. She played with it throughout high school and played with it in college.
My wife and I Coach a 18U fastpitch travel ball team, six months ago we left our Addidas bag in the dugout after practice...when we got home we realized it was missing. I drove back to the field and the bag was gone.
I searched that entire complex for three days with no luck. She is litterally heartbroken to the point she mentions "her baby" once a week. I've never seen her cry as she's a tough one but she did when we lost her glove. If you ever want to sell it, I'll pay you whatever you want for it, it's that important to her. I have been unsuccessful in finding one. Thanks for your time Warlock.

ryshay

Hi all,
New to this post.. Came across it as I was researching the Rawlings "SG79". I have a brand new one(as in never used) that I purchased in the late 70's, early 80's. My brother worked at a sporting goods store and said you have to get this glove. So i purchased it as a backup to my current glove. Couldn't part with my original glove which I am still using today. This glove has never been used. All I do is take it out of storage every once in a while to work it in. Cheers!