Initial Aftermath Review

Roundin4

Hit it and Sit it
My 28oz Aftermath came in a couple days ago and I had the chance to swing it in last nights games. Had a double header after working a 12hr shift and went straight from work to the fields.

Only removed the OG grip and retaped with athletic tape, added a knob cuff as I usually do. We removed it from the wrapper at the start of the game.

Let me say that the guys (like myself) that found a 28oz J3A a little heavy for their liking and a 27oz J3A a little light...you may find a 28oz AM to be perfect. While the 28oz AM definitely feels heavier statically it lightens up during the swing. I would say it feels more like a balanced midload where the J3A feels like a balanced endload. But IMO a 28oz AM falls right between a 27oz J3A and a 28oz J3A.

We play unlimited arc here using 44-375 Trump Stotes. And while the 2 P's we faced last night they don't throw crazy high but 20-30' arc is more than some people can handle. (but not for this guy)

AB 1 = Didn't swing terribly hard, but hard enough, being the 1st swing of the game. Upon contact I could tell EXACTLY where on the barrel contact was made. Had a firm handle feel that screamed new bat and a crisp barrel feel that was firm but I could tell it would soften up a little more with more swings. Not "easton" firm but nice. Result was a line drive to LF that hit the fence. This ball was scorched and never arched or got above 6'. FROZEN rope oh yeah. My teammates were hootin and I went into 2nd for a standup double.

AB 2 = Put a swing on her this AB figuring what the hell?.....Result was a HR 330' that never got above 8'. This ball was hit harder than the first and got out in a MAJOR hurry.

AB 3 + 4 = Piss missle to CF, both singles. NO WAY was ANYBODY getting a double on these hits cuz they got out to the OF seriously WAY too fast. Had they been hit directly at an OF they probably could've thrown me oout at first.

AB 5 = The middle IF decided to play a rover position in short OF . I ripped another line drive right at the SS that 1 hopped straight to his chest. Again the ball got out there FAST and I would've been thown out at 1st by a step had the throw not been airmailed over the 1sackers head.

End result. Barrel kept breaking in after each hit and has such a nice soft feel. Handle is stiff but not TOO stiff. Definitely feels like a 1 pc bat. With superb response and feel.

Game 2

Was getting tired after my long day. But I decided to stick with the AM. It was starting to feel heavier but I was still getting it through the zone quick.
This P throws the ball higher than the last guy and the sun was coming in outta RF in our eyes while in the box. Not a good hitters combo.

AB 1 = I take 2 balls. And he throws me a P right down the middle. In my DUMBASS mind knowing that the right side is weaker I try to hold the barrel back and drive it to the right side. NOT a good idea to force backside on a ball a bit too far in. Result was a perfect 2 hopper back up the middle. OUT for being stupid and not just ripping the ball to the left side.

AB 2 = Get the same P from the last AB and smoked it in LC

AB 3 = Managed to pull my hammy scoring from AB 2 and decided to switch to my J3A. BOMB! No doubter off the bat.

AB 4 = Still swinging the J3A.....ground out to SS

AB 5 = Screaming LD to center.

In all right now I can say that these 2 bats compliment each other very well FOR ME. Which is strange being from 2 different lines. The AM has a stiff handle and soft barrel while the J3A has a flexible handle and a SLIGHTLY firmer barrel. The AM again is a 28oz and is a little heavier than the 27oz J3A. BOTH bats do swing lighter once you get them moving. So don't let static weight fool you.

POP is filthy from both bats with just an ever-so-slightly advantage going to the AM.

Distance goes to the J3A right now partly because I haven't tried to elevate the AM yet. And the # of hits on the bats. The J3A has around 50 swings and the AM has exactly 8 swings (another teammate hit it in 1 AB which was a liner to RC - LH hitter)

Feel - 2 completely different bats. But awesome feel at contact.

Response - Goes to the AM.

I can't wait til tonights game, even though hurt my hamstring.

End result is that this new Aftermath is the goods. It absolutely destroys the 44-375. IDK about durability yet but there's no visible signs of any damage. Again only 8 swings. Those guys that want exit speed for base hit line drives.....You will LOVE this bat.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
Very nice review you put together, thanks for that. I'm hoping it dethrones my DBA as my asa gamer......

I get 1/3 today, might have to go swing it at lunch. After the required comp test of course....

S20

DeMarini Rep
Let me say that the guys (like myself) that found a 28oz J3A a little heavy for their liking and a 27oz J3A a little light...you may find a 28oz AM to be perfect. While the 28oz AM definitely feels heavier statically it lightens up during the swing. I would say it feels more like a balanced midload where the J3A feels like a balanced endload.[/QUOTE]

Good review except, I'm not sure what that meant.........:confused:

fear35

Just the tip
Good review, especially on the weights of the bats. Just like almost any of the ASA only stamp bats, hitting the 44/375 (J3A, L4, Wanted ASA, DBA, etc…) they all crush that ball. I would like to know how it performs against the .52 ball.

B-radical

Addicted to Softballfans
hows durability against 44s?

This one is made for both, the .52, and .44 - saying that I just hit about 40 .44's with mine and had awesome results. I can already tell that it's going to make me put down my gamer DBA and possibly sell it.

Zombieshark

Trashboat
Mine was mashing 44 & 52s equally hard. Gets a nice sound with the 52s that my fu dawg def does not.

Last edited:

Roundin4

Hit it and Sit it
You guys actually read all that? I skipped to the end.

it's called detailed information. there's always threads about weight questions and performance comparisons.
I tried to answer those questions in a review instead of writing one sentence reviews like a caveman..... " this bat is the goods" how's that for you, better?

Roundin4

Hit it and Sit it
i forgot to add that IMO it feels like the handle is a little thicker diameter than the J3A. I have yet to measure them to see for sure. Maybe I will go do that now.