Intentional Walk question for pitchers

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
When the strategic situation calls for it (to create a force late in a game, get to a guy lower in the lineup, etc.) or you just don't want to pitch to someone (guy that hits bombs on command, guy that has rep for hitting middle, guys on the hot streak of his life, or hitter is just being a **** so you're proving a point) do you prefer/tend to just put him on or throw garbage hoping to frustrate a good hitter into swing at bad pitches?

I as a pitcher know I would much prefer with a base open see if I could get him to swing at a bad pitch especially if they're known as a free swinger or easily frustrated with no worry of walking him because that's the general idea anyway.

I also know as a hitter I understand situations so at times would know why, but if a guy was just refusing to pitch I may get frustrated and move my feet to be able to take a cut possibly leading to fly out or ground ball after a couple walks

Joker

Clearly bush league to walk guys who hit middle and then cry about it on the internet. ****ing let it go dude

Joker

this is about you getting initially walked cause you hit middle, then you won because of it. now you're whining about it on the internet again after deleting your last thread cause everyone told you that you are a whiny *****

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Clearly bush league to walk guys who hit middle and then cry about it on the internet. ****ing let it go dude

this is about you getting initially walked cause you hit middle, then you won because of it. now you're whining about it on the internet again after deleting your last thread cause everyone told you that you are a whiny *****

No its not. Its a completely unrelated thread. Just because started by the same person doesn't mean its related and I knew this was coming. I deleted the other because nobody reads threads anymore. They read OP and comment where things have been covered over the course of the thread. Ive had people call me an ******* about the situation and I've had people tell me I was no way in the wrong. I can take responsibility when I'm wrong. Yeah 3 weeks ago we blew middle and settled something that started on the field on the field. Guess people in your area fight in the parking lot?

I took a beating on the internet from people who read post and took it for what it said. Majority of who was there to witness in person said completely warranted, but in unrelated questions I'm asking....

If a pitcher is willing to put someone on do they put them there or pitch garbage with no worry of walking the batter to see if they can force a weak ground ball or fly ball instead of giving a free runner

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Joker, I could care less about the situation. I said I took a beating on the internet and reading the post for what it was I understand why. People that were there and know that team, know our guys, and know the history/entire situation for the majority say completely warranted. **** happened on the field and was settled on the field. Not in the parking lot or on the internet. I didn't put the full story because it's even longer than the OP in the previous thread, but after we said its over their team decided to get a lead, get ****y, then start hitting middle, while walking anyone on our team who they were scared to pitch to. This almost lead to a fight when their pitcher's 20 year old DB of a son decided to push our 50 year old pitcher. Were we childish for holding a grudge, absolutely, but were we completely at fault, hell no.

Now i am asking unrelated to that situation do you put guys on or do you try to get them to swing at garbage not caring if they take and walk. I personally only prefer to put guys on in the 7th to create a force if I have two outs and it puts me pitching to a guy one spot lower in the lineup. Thats just me. This has changed over the years due to experience. There was a time where I would say put them on and pitcher would say no need and get a pop up and didnt matter. Theres been times i said put a guy on and pitcher said no and got the ground ball he was looking for, but instead of having an easy force had to throw across the diamond making a crucial error that hurt. That's why i'm asking. The incident may have been why I'm thinking about intentional walks, but the fact for one thursday in the summer of 2014 i got 1 swing in a game where I went to the plate 5 times isn't going to effect the rest of my life and be the reason for every question or thread I post on this board

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on the situation. If they're way better than the guy behind them and just need a fly ball deep enough to tag on I'll usually just point to first. Most of the time I'll throw junk.

slick303

B(.)(.)BS
Why did you delete the original post then start a new post asking the exact same thing?
You left out the part where your team told you to quit bing such a huge douche or they were gonna quit.

Redman

When pitching I walk em if the situation calls for it, as many tines as needed. And if hes a ***** and crying about it the next at bat, I'll do it again haha. Everyone makes playoffs in the only league I pitch, so pissing off a douche bag badger is fun lol

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Depends on the situation. If they're way better than the guy behind them and just need a fly ball deep enough to tag on I'll usually just point to first. Most of the time I'll throw junk.

This is alot along the lines I'm thinking, but also plays to your hands. Most good hitters are good fundamental players and have an idea about situations and know what's going on around them. Not too many that mash, but are clueless otherwise. If a guy knows his lineup is top heavy and he's in the 6 or 7 spot with not alot of hitting ability behind him in the bottom of the order he's also more likely to take a swing than leave it to the next guy and swing at that bad pitch.

Why did you delete the original post then start a new post asking the exact same thing?
You left out the part where your team told you to quit bing such a huge douche or they were gonna quit.

Because like I said, internet consensus was I was in the wrong which I understand why it came out that way based on the OP of the other thread and which I am completely fine with. No, I did not see the type of responses I expected, but also to put EVERYTHING from the ENTIRE situation in nobody would've read it because it would've been three times as long and I would've received zero response. I didn't call noone out who said I was in the wrong and won't. Their opinion based on the story they were given. There was more to the team issue as well, but not worth going into. I don't want to talk about that no more. I'm interested in how pitchers handle certain situations or hitters they'd prefer not to pitch to for any reason

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
When pitching I walk em if the situation calls for it, as many tines as needed. And if hes a ***** and crying about it the next at bat, I'll do it again haha. Everyone makes playoffs in the only league I pitch, so pissing off a douche bag badger is fun lol

That's the part I'm getting at with the difference in intentional walk by pointing to first and purposeful walk by just throwing them nothing to hit. If it's one of those guys that gets pissed about walking after a couple walks you probably could throw just about anything up there and he's hacking. I like my chances better even if I want to walk him of him trying to hit a ball in the other batters box and making an out than just giving him first

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Mostly in canton NS. I work weekends now so only played a couple tournaments, but still with Tailgators. Then play in belleville on tuesdays, conexess on thursdays, and play fridays, no clue who for...been waiting for jerseys for months

Who are you with? where you playing?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I rarely play a team where the 6 hitter is around 550, and the 7 hitter bats 333 without the ability to hit a sac fly though. I also know if a guy is going to try and do that, and then miss that much more. If you know he's going to reach, missing where he can successfully reach is pointless.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
I rarely play a team where the 6 hitter is around 550, and the 7 hitter bats 333 without the ability to hit a sac fly though. I also know if a guy is going to try and do that, and then miss that much more. If you know he's going to reach, missing where he can successfully reach is pointless.

Just came to mind playing with my cousins church team. Coach bats everyone who shows so on a good night we have 11 and 7 are probably .500+ then steep drop off to where the rest of the lineup is lower than .350. On a bad night there's 2-3 more at the end of that that hit around .123. We had a guy in that 6-7 spot who took walks and constantly got stranded so I told him to swing which was bad advice because hes good enough to hit cookies but not bad pitches.

This is only scenario I have seen this. Otherwise most teams around are strong throughout or weak throughout so not much strategy to play

east bay j

The Polish Hammer
Rec league softball - just ****ing pitch the ball. Blatant intentional walking (i.e. signaling for him to go to 1st, rolling the ball home, etc) usually leads to some type of payback mentality like hitting middle or walking your best batters. If you want to piss a team off & fuel a rivalry then by all means go for it. I will always try to give a guy at least one marginally hittable pitch: if he takes it I have no problem walking him.

Tourney ball - a pitcher should definitely play situational ball
JJ

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Rec league softball - just ****ing pitch the ball. Blatant intentional walking (i.e. signaling for him to go to 1st, rolling the ball home, etc) usually leads to some type of payback mentality like hitting middle or walking your best batters. If you want to piss a team off & fuel a rivalry then by all means go for it. I will always try to give a guy at least one marginally hittable pitch: if he takes it I have no problem walking him.

Tourney ball - a pitcher should definitely play situational ball
JJ

I completely agree with you on league ball and just had the issue. Had a team much better than our team but kind of whiny and folds if you start beating them or hit middle so we beat them first time we played them. This time around they hit middle and pointed to first for any of our hitters they didn't want to pitch to after peppering our pitcher.

I'm not an ******* when I play ball. I'd much prefer to drink and try to drive the ball to left field, but will stand up for my pitcher

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
what about champion instincts?

Come up with the acceptable term and let me know. Im talking about teams who get up and keep rolling to bury the other team and put them away instead of coast and let teams hang around and chip away

TomicSquad13

Addicted to Softballfans
I've tried both.

I've had situations where I threw junk with no intensions of giving a dude pitch to hit and the dude puts a tomahawk swing on a horrible pitch and the miss hits the ball 10 feet into the outfield for a walk off. Had other situations where I intentionally walked a guy just to get the bases loaded and their best hitter comes up and rolls over on a ball for a game ending double play.

I say seven or eight times outta ten they're going to score regardless what you do. Unless you're playing my teams then it's 50/50 lol.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Tournament play is rough. So much going on when hitting. Playing a 5 man infield with no homeruns left messes with my head. I pray for a walk lol

Pete D

Addicted to Softballfans
On the good teams it really doesn't matter - the next guy is just as much trouble.....

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
LMAO...are you effing serious? You deleted the last thread where you whined worse then my 2 and 10 year old? I agree with 100% of Joker's posts on this thread!!!

Somebody better save this because the likelihood of that happening is the same as AWall13 letting this thread ride while everyone continues to disagree with him.

Joker

but this is totally unrelated except that it's the same **** rebranded after he was exposed as a whiny ***** in his last thread and had to delete it

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
Another thread with essay's of gibberish......

I'll just go ahead and assume you lost to a team swinging glass.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League

I just point to first when I can. In our league you have to throw a strike before you can walk anyone. I figure if he is stupid enough to give me a strike he is getting a walk. This serves two purposes. 1. you accomplish the reason that you walk him and 2 good hitters don't want to walk so they start swinging at bad pitches in the rest of the double header as they know I am walking them if I get the chance.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
LMAO...are you effing serious? You deleted the last thread where you whined worse then my 2 and 10 year old? I agree with 100% of Joker's posts on this thread!!!

Somebody better save this because the likelihood of that happening is the same as AWall13 letting this thread ride while everyone continues to disagree with him.

Yeah notice his scenarios included a guy who hits middle. Purely coincidence. He says the internet concensus was I was wrong, but it's only because you guys don't know the whole story. And of course the OTHER team is whiny LOLOLOL. They hit middle then didn't let the three of us who played on that team hit middle at their pitcher which is what started the mess. We joined a team on Fridays to stalk this team. In fact, I don't even know the name of the team we joined on Friday because they haven't bought us jerseys (probably because they don't want people to know the three tampon amigos are associated with their team). We don't even know the name of the team, we just joined for a shot to get some payback on this other team who got in our heads bad, and then got in them even worse by intentionally walking us.

This thread should be called "Should the guy who pointed and walked us have thrown us something hittable so we could have tried to hit him" Please only answer if you agree or I will just say you don't know the story.

Other players from Michigan should /report you and get you banned so people elsewhere don't assume everyone in the state plays with pink panties in a bunch in leagues there.

kokamojo15

Manager
The thing about it is you answered your own question in your post. You ask the question bc???? You wanted people to look at your answer and compare? If you pitch then you have prolly done all the walks you can do. I didn't see the other post but by reading your og post on this thread you kind are being a little *****. I play in michigan and we don't play like that at all. If dude kills the ball let him hit. Last time I checked a lot of us don't get paid to play this game and can make mistakes and pop up. Dude hits middle. Pitchers have gloves just like a third baseman. Guy hits a frozen rope at your third baseman does he say sorry?