Any intentional walk

jonsey

this came up in a recent slo-pitch league game, bases loaded and after the batter stepped into the batters box, the pitcher had a brain fart and told the umpire to walk him, he thought 1st base was open. The batter starts down the 1st base line and then the pitcher realized that he had bases loaded and tried to rescind the walk. Is the pitcher able to do that if the B/R hadn't reached 1st base yet?

2nd part.. what if the batter never actually made it into the batters box when the pitcher said walk him, would that make a difference in the call

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Nothing is anything until the umpire accepts it.

In either case, if I haven’t accepted it yet, it’s nothing. Once I say “take your base,” that’s it, I’ve accepted it. There’s no bringing that batter back.

jonsey

Nothing is anything until the umpire accepts it.

In either case, if I haven’t accepted it yet, it’s nothing. Once I say “take your base,” that’s it, I’ve accepted it. There’s no bringing that batter back.

NCASA, is an umpire allowed to accept the intentional walk before the batter is in the batters box, or doesn't it matter

Joker

it's the players fault cause the pitcher only spoke up loud enough for the batter in the batters box to hear it and not loud enough for the ump standing 3' behind him to hear it

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
NCASA, is an umpire allowed to accept the intentional walk before the batter is in the batters box, or doesn't it matter
There’s nothing explicitly said about that in the book, but I consider it bad mechanics. I’ll want the batter at least near the plate or entering the box before I’ll accept the IW. If he’s still in the on-deck circle, I’ll probably play deaf for a moment.

The only thing I’m really preventing here is the whole mess of...
Pitcher: Put him on.
Shortstop: No, wait!
Left fielder: Hang on, Blue!
Batter: Y’all just don’t want me hitting!
Catcher: Can we still put him on?
Me: Oh dear lord...

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
There’s nothing explicitly said about that in the book, but I consider it bad mechanics. I’ll want the batter at least near the plate or entering the box before I’ll accept the IW. If he’s still in the on-deck circle, I’ll probably play deaf for a moment.

The only thing I’m really preventing here is the whole mess of...
Pitcher: Put him on.
Shortstop: No, wait!
Left fielder: Hang on, Blue!
Batter: Y’all just don’t want me hitting!
Catcher: Can we still put him on?
Me: Oh dear lord...

Intentional walks via declaration are nothing new. If the pitcher, catcher or someone I recognize of authority for the team (manager/coach) tell me the want the batter due up to be walked, it is a done deal and no further discussion is necessary or effective.

baseman

in your face nancy grace
Can the batter reject the IW? I know I wouldn't want to be walked all the time just because I can hit.