ASA Intentionally Dropped

Smokies26

Manager
My first question is if you are playing SS bases loaded 1 out and you intentionally drop a ball to turn 2, is that an ejection from the game? If so can you please direct me to the rule in the ASA rule book. Been searching and cant find it, but I believe I had read it before. Thanks

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
My first question is if you are playing SS bases loaded 1 out and you intentionally drop a ball to turn 2, is that an ejection from the game? If so can you please direct me to the rule in the ASA rule book. Been searching and cant find it, but I believe I had read it before. Thanks

Not an ejection. Not even a warning. Just a dead ball, batter's out, runners return.

Side note: you have to actually CATCH the ball first and then drop it in order for this to be called.

hookumsnivy

Addicted to Softballfans
I was under the impression if you intentionally knock it down instead of catching it, the same rule applies. For instance if it's a soft liner and you knock it down with the back of your glove you apply the rule. Am I mistaken?

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
Just to cite the rule:

"When an infielder intentionally drops a fair fly ball, including a line drive or
a bunt, which can be caught with ordinary effort with first, first and second,
first and third or first, second and third bases occupied with fewer than two
outs.
RULE 8 - BATTER-RUNNER AND RUNNER
Rule 8, Section 2
EFFECT: Dead ball, runners must return to the last base touched at the time
of the pitch. If an infield fly is ruled, it has precedence over an intentionally
dropped ball."

The other part part NCASAUmp referred to is the Rules Supplement definition of an Intentionally dropped ball:
"30. INTENTIONALLY DROPPED BALL.
The ball cannot be intentionally dropped unless the fielder has actually
caught it, and then drops it. Merely guiding the ball to the ground is not an
intentionally dropped ball."

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I was under the impression if you intentionally knock it down instead of catching it, the same rule applies. For instance if it's a soft liner and you knock it down with the back of your glove you apply the rule. Am I mistaken?

Yes, you are mistaken. You can't drop something that you haven't caught, can you? :)

But yes, the rules supplement does specifically state that merely guiding the ball to the ground without actually catching it is not "intentionally dropping the ball."

johnsonrod

Starting Player
the rule is designed using the same logic as the infield fly rule, the defense shouldnt be given an opportunity to get more than 1 out when the runners would be 'damned if they do, damned if they dont'.

HOWEVER, the rule supplement flies in the face of that logic.

in baseball, you dont have to physically catch the ball. one easy thing baseball players do is "catch" the ball in the glove, but never close their glove around the ball, thus the ball hits the webbing and falls to the ground. the rule is basically interpreted in baseball is the player cannot intentionally miss the ball.

getting into semantics but intentionally dropped could easily mean intentionally not caught and not mean intentionally caught then dropped.

so in ASA, the rules say if you have halfway descent fielding skills, you can "trap" the offensive team into getting more than 1 out when the intent of the rule is to not allow this to happen. a terribly written rule supplement if you ask me.