Interference during double play attempt

vanmol

If the player making the out at 2nd base is interfered with by the runner does he have to make or at least attempt a throw to first , for interference to be called. I don't think so but I have been wrong before.

lb16

the natural
Need a little more info on the situation. Unless the runner intentionally did something to hinder the fielder attempting a double there is no interference. The runner doesn't have to slide or get out of the way on play. And no the fielder doesn't have to throw for there to be interference if in the umpires judgement the runner interfered he should call runner going to 1st out as well.

vanmol

Need a little more info on the situation. Unless the runner intentionally did something to hinder the fielder attempting a double there is no interference. The runner doesn't have to slide or get out of the way on play. And no the fielder doesn't have to throw for there to be interference if in the umpires judgement the runner interfered he should call runner going to 1st out as well.

Hi----That might be the rule in MLB but our softball association rules are biased toward no injuries and the runner is required to either give himself up or vear off to the side of the bag. If that is not done an interference call is warranted but it is not clear if the fielder has to at least try to make the throw to first in order to call the batter out also.

ureout

The Veteran
interference is a judgement call by the umpire and it does not have to be an intentional act... if the runner has been called out and continues on bumping into the fielder attempting to make a throw to complete a double play then I would have interference... if the fielder was standing on the base waiting on a throw (which he shouldn't be doing) and is simultaneously bumped as he is catching the ball I would probably only have an out or safe call... and no a throw does not have to be made for a 2nd out to be called.. BUT the 2nd out is not an automatic call either ..again it is determined by the umpires judgement on if a possible 2nd out could have been made had there not been interference

Projectcam

This is something that has been called inconsistently in AZ. I throw the ball and have actually hit runners if they don’t move.

ureout

The Veteran
This is something that has been called inconsistently in AZ. I throw the ball and have actually hit runners if they don’t move.

hitting a runner in the baseline should be a no call.. live ball... the runner is where he belongs as long as he doesn't move into the throw

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Hi----That might be the rule in MLB but our softball association rules are biased toward no injuries and the runner is required to either give himself up or vear off to the side of the bag. If that is not done an interference call is warranted but it is not clear if the fielder has to at least try to make the throw to first in order to call the batter out also.

You are asking about local rules. You should address the question to them. IMO, those are pretty stupid requirements

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
There is no rule which states a runner must "actively" hinder in this instance. I think there should be, but, at this time there is no such rule. If a runner is doing what they are supposed to do (running to the next base within the baseline) and get hit with a thrown ball how can it be interference? Unless they do actively hinder, in which case they should be out. A runner who has been put out cannot simply disappear.

Country469

Getting a side arm chuck thrown from second is not more interferance than being hit by a thrown ball any other time.

Its the runner who gets to decide how manly he is. Its just no real bright to stay in the way of the other teams SS throwing to get the 2nd out.

Running with your hands up, yelling at the fielder after the force, etc.......you mess with em enough and blue takes notice

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
If the player making the out at 2nd base is interfered with by the runner does he have to make or at least attempt a throw to first , for interference to be called. I don't think so but I have been wrong before.
No, a throw does not have to be attempted in order for interference to be called. But a lot of umpires, especially at the lower levels, are not going to make that call without at least an attempt.

You have posted a couple of questions in this forum, please list what rule set you are playing under. The vast majority of the answers you will receive here are based on national rules. Anything your local leagues and non sanctioned tournaments make up, we can't help you with.

Wayne 33

Banned User
hitting a runner in the baseline should be a no call.. live ball... the runner is where he belongs as long as he doesn't move into the throw

When exactly did they start drawing lines between the bases? If you're out, get out of the way. Using your logic the runner can stand in front of the base of they occupied. EZ PZ.

ureout

The Veteran
wayne .. are you trolling again.. and again you are wrong .. where would you like the runner to go?? and please post the rule set you are talking about, instead of just yapping... a runner going from 1st to 2nd has every right to stay upright and in the base path.. if the fielder makes a throw and it hits the runner it's play on.. it is the fielders job to throw over or around the runner .. if in the umpires judgement after the release of the ball the runner moved into the path of the throw or lifted his arms to block it then I would have INT...

herts9

SEMI-RETIRED LEGEND
wayne .. are you trolling again.. and again you are wrong .. where would you like the runner to go?? and please post the rule set you are talking about, instead of just yapping... a runner going from 1st to 2nd has every right to stay upright and in the base path.. if the fielder makes a throw and it hits the runner it's play on.. it is the fielders job to throw over or around the runner .. if in the umpires judgement after the release of the ball the runner moved into the path of the throw or lifted his arms to block it then I would have INT...

All facts

Wayne 33

Banned User

What ruleset are you talking about.? Sounds like you're saying "I believe" which is short for "I don't know it for a fact, I just know its true". Where do I want the runner to go? Where do all runners go? They run away from the throw.

Now if you want to get as close to the fielder as possible, go in standing up, and take one between the eyes, by all means feel free to do so at your own risk. Sure I'd probably keep the ball live there.. If you have time to vacate the area, then move out of the way. Interference is a judgement call. FYI ~ there is no rule stating a fielder must throw around or over an advancing runner.

Last edited:

sleepin4matty

Management Material
What ruleset are you talking about.? Sounds like you're saying "I believe" which is short for "I don't know it for a fact, I just know its true". Where do I want the runner to go? We do all runners go? They run away from the throw.

Now if you want to get as close to the fielder as possible, go in standing up, and take one between the eyes, by all means feel free to do so at your own risk. Sure I'd probably keep the ball live there.. If you have time to vacate the area, then move out of the way. Interference is a judgement call. FYI ~ there is no rule stating a fielder must throw around or over an advancing runner.
He's trying to see if you say, "in our league we follow ASA but modified to our particular city rules".
For example, I play ASA but it is modified SCMAF rules because I play in so cal

Hiltz

Built for comfort
...a runner going from 1st to 2nd has every right to stay upright and in the base path.. if the fielder makes a throw and it hits the runner it's play on.. it is the fielders job to throw over or around the runner...

This. When turning two, I'm either stepping back from 2b or running through the bag before I throw depending on my momentum. I'm assuming the runner is coming straight in.

Where do I want the runner to go? We do all runners go? They run away from the throw.

When runners veer off, there's a 50/50 chance they're veering the same way I am. Which means there's a 50/50 chance they're eating the ball. And adding insult to injury, when a runner deviates from the basepath and gets hit by a throw, it's getting an interference call 99% of the time.

ureout

The Veteran
When runners veer off, there's a 50/50 chance they're veering the same way I am. Which means there's a 50/50 chance they're eating the ball. And adding insult to injury, when a runner deviates from the base path and gets hit by a throw, it's getting an interference call 99% of the time.[/QUOTE]

Hiltz.. I agree... unfortunately wayne is a jack a-- and does nothing trolls different sites and post his wayne's world answers, but never cites a rule to cover his answers

Wayne 33

Banned User
This. When turning two, I'm either stepping back from 2b or running through the bag before I throw depending on my momentum. I'm assuming the runner is coming straight in.

When runners veer off, there's a 50/50 chance they're veering the same way I am. Which means there's a 50/50 chance they're eating the ball. And adding insult to injury, when a runner deviates from the basepath and gets hit by a throw, it's getting an interference call 99% of the time.

Funny that. I've never gotten hit running away from the throw in decades of playing. I think your odds are pretty high at 50/50. How about 1/10,000.. Can't remember the last time I've seen anyone hit with a throw if ever. Methinks you doth project too much.

Wayne 33

Banned User
When runners veer off, there's a 50/50 chance they're veering the same way I am. Which means there's a 50/50 chance they're eating the ball. And adding insult to injury, when a runner deviates from the base path and gets hit by a throw, it's getting an interference call 99% of the time.

Hiltz.. I agree... unfortunately wayne is a jack a-- and does nothing trolls different sites and post his wayne's world answers, but never cites a rule to cover his answers[/QUOTE]

What part of interference is a judgment call don't you understand?

If you're crazy enough to run straight at me, you might get ready to duck. I bet you'll get out of the way next time!

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Hiltz.. I agree... unfortunately wayne is a jack a-- and does nothing trolls different sites and post his wayne's world answers, but never cites a rule to cover his answers

If you're crazy enough to run straight at me, you might get ready to duck. I bet you'll get out of the way next time![/QUOTE]

And if it seems intentional, you may need a lawyer.

Wayne 33

Banned User

If you're crazy enough to run straight at me, you might get ready to duck. I bet you'll get out of the way next time!

And if it seems intentional, you may need a lawyer.[/QUOTE]

I'm throwing the ball to 1st base. I'm not making the extra effort to throw over or around the runner if I have to hurry to complete the DP. I've been knocked out into LF playing 2nd on a few occasions so the runner sure doesn't get a free pass on the throw to 1B.

Not all times is the runner hit with the throw interfering, but if you have ample time to vacate the area, then do so or I'm calling time and ruling the B/R out.

Sometimes you just have to umpire.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Not all times is the runner hit with the throw interfering, but if you have ample time to vacate the area, then do so or I'm calling time and ruling the B/R out.

So the runner can run in a straight line from 1b to 2b, do nothing intentional to interfere, get hit by a throw from a second baseman that doesn't know how to play his position, and you're calling interference?

You really are an idiot.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm throwing the ball to 1st base. I'm not making the extra effort to throw over or around the runner if I have to hurry to complete the DP. I've been knocked out into LF playing 2nd on a few occasions so the runner sure doesn't get a free pass on the throw to 1B.

Sometimes you just have to umpire.
If the runner attempts to get out of the way and then gets in the way of the throw we have an act of interference, running from base to base is not an act of interference on a throw. I'll tell you right now if I think you threw into the runner on purpose, you will be ejected and I will encourage the runner to notify law enforcement. If you call me out for not vacating the base path, I will win the protest. I got this direct from the former director of officials for USSSA.

Here is your biggest problem, you have your beliefs on what the rules should be or what the interpretations should be. But you are not in a position to make those interpretations. It is your responsibility to call those rules as directed by the national/world offices. When we all tell you the correct ruling, a good umpire would take that information and incorporate it into their game, not just complain about it and say they won't call it.

Wayne 33

Banned User
So the runner can run in a straight line from 1b to 2b, do nothing intentional to interfere, get hit by a throw from a second baseman that doesn't know how to play his position, and you're calling interference?

You really are an idiot.

Any idiot that comes in standing up a few feet from me is the one putting their own health at risk. Accidents happen especially to stupid people.

I've always used my feet as my guide when I pivot. I used the bag to know if I was lined up to throw to 1st. I straddled the base as protection. Sometimes I threw the ball from the infield side coming across the bag or stepped back towards the outfield side. Never really concerned where the runner was. They've always got on their backside on out of the way of the ball. Don't recall ever hitting anyone.

Now if you're one of those guys that continue to run upright in a straight line and not expecting to get hit, then maybe you don't need to be out there playing or umpiring. Telling me I don't don't know to play the position is merely amateur folly on your part.

Perhaps calling childish names is more your forte.

Wayne 33

Banned User
If the runner attempts to get out of the way and then gets in the way of the throw we have an act of interference, running from base to base is not an act of interference on a throw. I'll tell you right now if I think you threw into the runner on purpose, you will be ejected and I will encourage the runner to notify law enforcement. If you call me out for not vacating the base path, I will win the protest. I got this direct from the former director of officials for USSSA.

Here is your biggest problem, you have your beliefs on what the rules should be or what the interpretations should be. But you are not in a position to make those interpretations. It is your responsibility to call those rules as directed by the national/world offices. When we all tell you the correct ruling, a good umpire would take that information and incorporate it into their game, not just complain about it and say they won't call it.

You might want to consider taking reading comprehension skills. Pretty bold accusation saying I intentionally threw at a runner. Don't ever recall hitting anyone, so I must not be too good at it. I throw the ball to get the out at 1st.

Now, if the runner comes in hard with a clean side, I haven't a problem. When I play now I don't slide and get pretty close to the bag. However, I know to get out of the way and not get hit with the throw.

I've been around ballfields for as long as I can remember. I know interference when I see it. Its called experience. I've seen those that go in just like you described and take one to the upper body. They've managed to get out of the way since then.

As the umpire, I judge the intent. Interference isn't always intentional. If you've ample time to vacate the "baseline" and get hit with a quality throw, I'm ruling interference and getting the two. Its called judgment. Anyone that walks out on my field and tries to overrule my judgment can finish the game themselves.

I've worked games with players that afterward became very good MLB players and great college careers calling balls and strikes. Think Kerry Wood and Clayton Kershaw for starters. I'm surely not going to be intimidated by some couch jockeys thinking they can get in my face and argue. Therefore, I'm not concerned what some former director of a slow pitch softball association thinks.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
I guess I wasted my time working 6 nationals (5 men's major level), the Hooter's Championships series and two ISF tournaments in Plant City. Not to mention more than a dozen state or regional schools and clinics as well as the national, regional and state clinics and tournaments in which I've offered or participated with some great umpires....not :)

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
You might want to consider taking reading comprehension skills. Pretty bold accusation saying I intentionally threw at a runner. Don't ever recall hitting anyone, so I must not be too good at it. I throw the ball to get the out at 1st.

Now, if the runner comes in hard with a clean side, I haven't a problem. When I play now I don't slide and get pretty close to the bag. However, I know to get out of the way and not get hit with the throw.

I've been around ballfields for as long as I can remember. I know interference when I see it. Its called experience. I've seen those that go in just like you described and take one to the upper body. They've managed to get out of the way since then.

As the umpire, I judge the intent. Interference isn't always intentional. If you've ample time to vacate the "baseline" and get hit with a quality throw, I'm ruling interference and getting the two. Its called judgment. Anyone that walks out on my field and tries to overrule my judgment can finish the game themselves.

I've worked games with players that afterward became very good MLB players and great college careers calling balls and strikes. Think Kerry Wood and Clayton Kershaw for starters. I'm surely not going to be intimidated by some couch jockeys thinking they can get in my face and argue. Therefore, I'm not concerned what some former director of a slow pitch softball association thinks.
Maybe, just maybe you should actually read what you quote before attacking someone's intelligence and reading comprehension. What I said was, "If I feel you threw at the runner intentionally, you will be ejected." No where in there was there an accusation. Show me where in any of the major associations there is a must slide rule. You can't, it doesn't exist at the adult level and will not.

A good second baseman will make the turn at 2nd in less than a half second. We have all seen runners that can't process the fact they are out and get out of the way that quickly, they also are not out until the call has been made. I don't know how you call things, but on my fields I don't start making a call until there is one to make. Which means that most of the time on a DP ball, the runner hasn't actually been called out until after the throw is by them.

Interference requires an act of interference, it does not have to be intentional but doing exactly what the runner is supposed to do is not an act of interference.

My point is that you can believe whatever you want, you are being paid to officiate the game according to rules laid out for you. All of those rulesets that I am aware of, say that a runner running directly to the base is NOT interference. Show me where it says otherwise and I'll be more than happy to look.

A wise man once told me there is a great difference between a guy with 20 years of experience and a guy with one year of experience 20 times, I think we all know which one of those you fit in to.

And you can talk about the great baseball players you've umpired over the years when they were kids, I can talk about the MLB All-Stars I played baseball with. We're on a slowpitch softball forum talking about slowpitch, what are you doing now. Like Irish posted above, he's done multiple nationals, I've done multiple nationals, a Worlds and I currently umpire the best slowpitch players in the world in Conference USSSA. We are all telling you something, that every clinic and evaluator you've ever had should be telling you to. Every UIC you've ever had should be ruling against you on a protest, and if you are that fixated on being this wrong about it, they should finish the game for you since obviously you aren't qualified to do it yourself.