ASA Interference/Obstruction/Play on

Joe E

Here is the situation, and I haven't seen any post like this. R1 is on 2nd base, batter hits a sharp ground ball to shortstop who has a clean opportunity to field the ball but boots it with the ball bouncing back toward home plate. R1 takes off toward 3rd base, but the shortstop collides with R1 when trying to recover the ball he just misplayed. R1 is called out by the HP umpire for interference. Should this not have been called as an obstruction on the shortstop since the ball had passed R1 and the shortstop had a clean chance to make the play?

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I've got obstruction on F6, ball is still live and the obstruction would not be enforced if the runner made 3B without being put out. If you ask the umpire, they will tell you that F6 was fielding a batted ball and therefore can not obstruct. This is wrong, as soon as F6 misplayed the ball the runner has the right to the baseline.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
How far from the shortstop did the ball go after he booted it? Was it right in front of him, or did he have to take a few steps to get to it?

Joe E

The shortstop was playing probably 8 to 10 feet behind the 'normal' baseline and the ball went in front of the normal baseline so probably 12 to 15 feet forward.

Joe E

How far from the shortstop did the ball go after he booted it? Was it right in front of him, or did he have to take a few steps to get to it?
Definitely was a few steps in front of F6. It was far enough R1 felt he could make it to 3rd base.

Joe E

I've got obstruction on F6, ball is still live and the obstruction would not be enforced if the runner made 3B without being put out. If you ask the umpire, they will tell you that F6 was fielding a batted ball and therefore can not obstruct. This is wrong, as soon as F6 misplayed the ball the runner has the right to the baseline.
The umpire in this game was very new and didn't know the rules involved with his decision. I do not have a rule book handy, can you provide me with the rule stating that the runner has the right to the baseline when a fielder misplays a ball? The new umpire asked me for help so he would better understand the rule going forward. I knew this was the rule, but couldn't tell him where to find the documentation.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
The umpire in this game was very new and didn't know the rules involved with his decision. I do not have a rule book handy, can you provide me with the rule stating that the runner has the right to the baseline when a fielder misplays a ball? The new umpire asked me for help so he would better understand the rule going forward. I knew this was the rule, but couldn't tell him where to find the documentation.
8.5.B says it's obstruction when a fielder not in possession of the ball or in the act of fielding a batted ball obstructs the runner. 8.7.J says the runner is out if they interfere with the fielder fielding a batted ball. It's in the case book somewhere that the fielder looses the protection of being in the act of fielding a batted ball once they boot it.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
So in NFHS (high school) softball, they have what’s called a “step and a reach.” If the ball is hit to a fielder, and the fielder boots the ball, they are still protected from obstruction if the ball is within “a step and a reach” of the fielder. Anything beyond that, and the protection goes away.

While not written anywhere, that interpretation has often been used within ASA/USA Softball. However, it doesn’t sound like that’s what happened here.

Based on the description in front of me, I have obstruction by the shortstop on this play.