Other Interference

wcoastsoftball

This happened this summer, caught up with the ump a couple weeks ago to try to explain my thoughts, but he stood by his call.

Plate umpire, no field ump....Runner on first, I am on second. Ground ball to lefty shortstop who fields it inside the baseline. Seeing what was happening and him being lefty, figuring he would toss to third, I put my head down and ran as hard as I could in case there was a wide throw or something similar. Instead, he turns to his right (back to me), into my path and tags me as I run into him (I put my hands up so as to not knock him down). I concede I was out, but then as I got to the dugout, ump called the runner on first out at second for interference on me.

I got heated and eventually tossed for saying that was a ******** call. My assumption was he was not in the baseline when fielding the ball, so I had a right to the path to third, he turned into me.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
If your actions when he tagged you (putting your hands up in the air), in the umpire's view (not yours), prevented the fielder from turning a double play, then he made the right call. It is a judgment call. Arguing judgment calls usually doesn't end well for the player. Shouting expletives about a call you disagree with usually doesn't either.

Whether or not the SS is left handed is irrelevant. Where he fielded the ball irrelevant. He's calling you for interfering with the defensive player's opportunity to make the play on another runner. (assuming because your hands where up in the air and would interfere with a throw)

Perhaps instead of yelling profanities from the dugout about your opinion of the call you should have your team captain go out and ask the umpire what the call was and that way you get to stay in the game.

ASA
8.7.P
When after being declared out or after scoring, an offensive player interferes with a defensive player's opportunity to make a play on another runner.
1. The ball is dead.
2. The runner closest to home is out.

Left handed shortstops are the devil......and an absolute last resort....stupid lefties.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
As noted, had to be there to see it...but...here's why I might NOT call interference on this play.

If you were running directly to the next base, and would not have contacted the fielder, except for the fact that he suddenly and unavoidably moved into your otherwise clear path...then that's on the fielder, not you. This would be incidental contact, play on, no penalty.

wcoastsoftball

As noted, had to be there to see it...but...here's why I might NOT call interference on this play.

If you were running directly to the next base, and would not have contacted the fielder, except for the fact that he suddenly and unavoidably moved into your otherwise clear path...then that's on the fielder, not you. This would be incidental contact, play on, no penalty.

This was my interpretation of the rule, I cannot get in the baseline to disrupt his making a fielding play, but he cannot obstruct me from reaching the next bag...the umpire and I are friends, as are the SS and I, so it wasn't a dirty play or anything like that...he just turned into the baseline with his body because he didn't know where I was.

If your actions when he tagged you (putting your hands up in the air), in the umpire's view (not yours), prevented the fielder from turning a double play, then he made the right call. It is a judgment call. Arguing judgment calls usually doesn't end well for the player. Shouting expletives about a call you disagree with usually doesn't either.

Whether or not the SS is left handed is irrelevant. Where he fielded the ball irrelevant. He's calling you for interfering with the defensive player's opportunity to make the play on another runner. (assuming because your hands where up in the air and would interfere with a throw)

Perhaps instead of yelling profanities from the dugout about your opinion of the call you should have your team captain go out and ask the umpire what the call was and that way you get to stay in the game.

ASA
8.7.P
When after being declared out or after scoring, an offensive player interferes with a defensive player's opportunity to make a play on another runner.
1. The ball is dead.
2. The runner closest to home is out.

Left handed shortstops are the devil......and an absolute last resort....stupid lefties.

ha, yeah we have two lefty SS in our league, one is on my team and this one. Both really good fielders. As I said above, thanks for the concern on my reaction...but him and I are friends and have joked about it since...first time for me arguing and first time for me getting ejected in 24 years of softball...I just thought I was right on my interpretation of the rules.
My arms went up because 1. he surprised me when I looked up ad he turned and 2. I tried to side step him, but it was too late..wasn't an attempt to stop him from throwing the ball
To me, if this issue was the case (as stated by both of you, had to be there I guess) then I (I play first) can field a ball and run into the runner and get an interference call everytime.

Last edited:

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, even if you weren't intentionally trying to interfere and were trying to do the right thing, intent isn't necessary on the call. If the hands up in the air was viewed as preventing the defense......well, you know.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
He can obstruct you from reaching the next base, as long as he has the ball. My thinking is that by putting your hands up to stop from knocking him over the umpire saw something that looked like you were trying to prevent a throw.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

That should be irrelevant. The fielder in possession of the ball can move in any manner to make a play on an active runner. OP admittedly put his head down and ran hard. He "assumed" to know what the fielder was going to do and was wrong. Apparently, the umpire judged there was a second out to be had at 2B.

wcoastsoftball

That should be irrelevant. The fielder in possession of the ball can move in any manner to make a play on an active runner. OP admittedly put his head down and ran hard. He "assumed" to know what the fielder was going to do and was wrong. Apparently, the umpire judged there was a second out to be had at 2B.
Gotcha, so no matter what, a fielder with the ball can stand in the baseline and get mowed over if they want? Serious question...and if there was a secondary play to be made, then it could be called interference on the runner?

wcoastsoftball

Yeah, even if you weren't intentionally trying to interfere and were trying to do the right thing, intent isn't necessary on the call. If the hands up in the air was viewed as preventing the defense......well, you know.
Yep, I got ya, It was more of a trying to side step/ole past him, but still got him type thing.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Gotcha, so no matter what, a fielder with the ball can stand in the baseline and get mowed over if they want? Serious question...and if there was a secondary play to be made, then it could be called interference on the runner?

No, if the runner crashes with the player with the ball waiting to make a tag, s/he is out, possibly ejected and if the umpire judges the defense had an opportunity to put another runner out, that could also happen just as it did in the OP.

But yes, a fielder in possession of the ball owns the field without exception