Any interference???

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Speaking ASA, though this appears to be USSSA...

From the ****ty, shaky camera footage, I don't believe so. The runner stopped because the fielder looked like he was going to apply a tag. He didn't move "up" until after the ball had already hit him. Looks like a bad throw to me.

Dumb move, shortstop. Better to get the out in front of you than try to force a play.

beernbombs

Abby's dad
Looks like the runner jumped up to let the ball hit him. SS should have still taken the easy play, tag runner and step on second.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree. Nice play by the runner to not run into an out. I think he jumped to actually get out of the way of the throw.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I agree. Nice play by the runner to not run into an out. I think he jumped to actually get out of the way of the throw.

If he had jumped before the ball had reached him, then we would definitely have interference. Remember: intent is irrelevant in ASA.

If he had just stood there and the ball just hit him, then we wouldn't have interference.

But from what I saw, it appeared as though he jumped after the ball had hit him, so I PROBABLY wouldn't have an interference call. Tough to determine from the shaky camera footage.

johnsonrod

Starting Player

you need to change your name bc your are blind.

the throw was thrown to the runners right. if the runner was trying to get out of the way, he wouldnt jump to the right nor would he have thrown his arms out to the right.

i cant read the runners mind but it was absolutely the smart play to try and get hit with the throw. if he doesnt, its gonna be a double play anyways.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
you need to change your name bc your are blind.

the throw was thrown to the runners right. if the runner was trying to get out of the way, he wouldnt jump to the right nor would he have thrown his arms out to the right.

i cant read the runners mind but it was absolutely the smart play to try and get hit with the throw. if he doesnt, its gonna be a double play anyways.

We're assuming that the runner knew exactly where he was in relation to the player being thrown to. The shortstop looked to be near the baseline, so assuming he jumped before/as the throw got to him, he could have been jumping to get out of the way (irrelevant in ASA).

I still say the camera's moving too much to get a good picture of what actually happened.

RDD15

Addicted to Softballfans
I still say the camera's moving too much to get a good picture of what actually happened.

I completely agree. Until I read others posts in the thread, I was not aware that the ball had hit the runner. The camera is moving too much to get a decent look.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I completely agree. Until I read others posts in the thread, I was not aware that the ball had hit the runner. The camera is moving too much to get a decent look.

And it's too difficult to determine when the ball hit him, too. That's why it's difficult to give a ruling (and one more reason why umpires should not make a call on the run).

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
As I look at it more I'm leaning toward what NC said - it almost looks like he jumps right when it hits him. If I could read the runner's mind I would say if was just a reaction. No malice intended. I don't think he had enough time to really intend to interfere with the throw. The 2nd base ump has the best view and, though the footage cuts off pretty quick, it doesn't look like he's going to make a call. I'll side with him.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
I replayed it a dozen times on my 42" monitor and it looked to ME like the runner intentionaly jumped up and hit the ball with his shoulder. I couldn't figure out how to slo mo it to get a better look.

OK. Played it 3 more times at the 11 second mark. Runner intentionally interferes. His whole arm travels up.

The 2nd base ump has the best view and, though the footage cuts off pretty quick, it doesn't look like he's going to make a call. I'll side with him.

Hard to make a call with your hands in your pockets lol,

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I replayed it a dozen times on my 42" monitor and it looked to ME like the runner intentionaly jumped up and hit the ball with his shoulder. I couldn't figure out how to slo mo it to get a better look.

OK. Played it 3 more times at the 11 second mark. Runner intentionally interferes. His whole arm travels up.

Is it possible? Certainly, I won't deny that. But even after replaying it over and over again, the camera moves too much for me to say with any certainty one way or the other.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
You can get a fair simulation of slow-motion and freeze frame by putting the YouTube video on pause, then rapidly clicking the play/pause button on and off.

Agree that the video leaves something to be desired as far as giving a clean view of the play. But our view is probably as good or better than the base umpire here, who seems to be making zero effort to move a muscle to get a better angle on this one!

With the "stop/start" method, it almost looks to me like the first move of the runner's arms was a defensive one, perhaps to keep the ball from hitting him in the face. His arms don't fly out to the side until after the ball is already past him. If you can stop the video right when the ball seems to hit him, it doesn't really look like he's doing anything wrong at that point.

I'm leaning toward no interference- but that's just based on this crummy Zapruder film of the softball world!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
The runner actually leaves his feet.

Correct. But even after replaying it many times, it's tough to say WHEN he jumped. The camera moves too much for me to say one way or the other.

The important thing is whether or not the UMPIRE determined that the jump is what caused the ball to strike the runner. If so, then in ASA, we'd have interference. If not, then we just have a bad throw.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
You can get a fair simulation of slow-motion and freeze frame by putting the YouTube video on pause, then rapidly clicking the play/pause button on and off.

Agree that the video leaves something to be desired as far as giving a clean view of the play. But our view is probably as good or better than the base umpire here, who seems to be making zero effort to move a muscle to get a better angle on this one!

With the "stop/start" method, it almost looks to me like the first move of the runner's arms was a defensive one, perhaps to keep the ball from hitting him in the face. His arms don't fly out to the side until after the ball is already past him. If you can stop the video right when the ball seems to hit him, it doesn't really look like he's doing anything wrong at that point.

I'm leaning toward no interference- but that's just based on this crummy Zapruder film of the softball world!

What are the ground rules on a grassy knoll?

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
Man, I can't double click fast enough.

If he didn't make contact, he was certainly trying to.

joncon

Addicted to Softballfans
'Trying to make contact" and "Trying to interfere" aren't the same thing either ;)

IMO, in this case, even trying to make contact = interference.

Also, IMO, I clearly see a deflection.

just moonshots!

2 out nightmare
after watching it zoomed in, it looks like the ball goes right next to the runner. the ss doesnt seem to be reacting as if the runner did hit the ball. looks like he just made a bad toss..

Sonic625

An Admin
Staff member
It is hard to tell but after watching the fielding team not react to the play as if it was interference I would have to say it was a bad toss. Being A Worlds I would think the team or at least the SS would have put up an immediate argument for interference.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It is hard to tell but after watching the fielding team not react to the play as if it was interference I would have to say it was a bad toss. Being A Worlds I would think the team or at least the SS would have put up an immediate argument for interference.

Actually, maybe they didn't fuss BECAUSE of the fact that it's A? I get more senseless whining in E than A. :D

johnsonrod

Starting Player
i must be missing something, these are players at the top of the sport, presumably have been playing softball or baseball for a LONG time at some high levels.... of course the runner is going to try and get hit with the throw since it was a ROUTINE double play ball. i would expect players on my rec team to know to do this.

and why in the world would someone JUMP UP to get out of the way of a ball thrown towards their head???? you would slide or duck down if you truly wanted to get out of the way.

Looks to me like the ball was sort of "shot-putted" toward 2B. Not sure I would be able to guess correctly if the fielder is aiming high or low in that situation.