Intro

PJ Moran

Hi,

I'm about to turn 60 and have been talked into joining a local senior (50+) / coed softball league. I haven't played softball since gym class in junior high school! I considered myself a good fielder and had a good arm, but was not a good (strong) batter. Trying to play after this many years was a rude awakening!

I'm generally athletic and do enjoy participating in sports (tennis, golf, basketball, bowling, etc.) I usually excel at whichever sport I play because I take performance pretty seriously and put in the work to improve my game.

Having read many posts here and elsewhere, I get the sense that our league is relatively informal, and it's not about competition as much as it is just getting out and socializing. Most folks who post here seem to be pretty hard core and competitive, and play in "serious" leagues where rules are strictly enforced.

Our practice sessions are for the entire league (just those who want to come out) and it's really just batting practice. Each person who wants to hit is pitched 15 balls. Everyone else is randomly scattered out on the field to catch (or chase :)) balls. So, fielding practice consists of being in the right place at the right time when someone happens to hit something toward you.

So, I'm not getting what I need out of "practice", so I guess the games (first one tomorrow) will serve as my real practice moving forward :cool:

PJ Moran

15 pitches only gets you loose.

In earlier practices, we were pitched more like 20 - 25 balls. It was clear that people were getting worn out toward the end. So it was decided to cut down to 15. There has been good acceptance of this number. For us, more than 15 was past "loose" and into "tired". I also think 15 is a good number. However, I would like to get multiple turns at bat. The first one does sorta become a warmup, so when it's all you get, you don't get much out of it.

I've watched a few of Bogie's videos. They seem OK, but I don't see how they do me much good unless I have a coach watching me to tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've had several comment that I have a nice swing, but _______. I started out with what they were calling a "golf swing". I was a life long golfer (pretty good, too), so I can see how that would bleed over. But, I don't know exactly what that means or how to correct it. People can tell I'm struggling, but I guess they can also tell I have potential, so I frequently get tips.

One guy pulled me aside after practice and gave me a card with some "units" on it at the local batting cages, and encouraged me to do some work there.

I may need to see if there's someone around here who does some coaching to get me on the right track. I don't want to keep doing it wrong and ingraining some bad habits.

tonys1

You can post your videos here, and the advice will be free - intentions will be good, but not sure if everyone's a pro.

@Ken07 has a ton of swing makeover videos that are really good, not sure he takes on clients though, you can try to PM him.