Irrational glove preferences........

powermatt99

Gloveman
guys who have $2000 worth of bats in their bag but use the 14" velcro back glove they got from Wallyworld that was on sale for $19.99

guys who have $2,000 worth of leather and borrow my bat

Seriously though, I hate that my bag includes four Wilson A2Ks and one non-Wilson. I just can't get into Wilson 1B patterns. I had a nice 1613, about half way to game ready, but sold it to one of my players for what I paid for it ($143). I've picked up two other 1613s since then and neither were close to that first one. I picked up a 1617 for the team, it's alright but not my cup-of-tea. The DCT pattern really does it for me. I probably shouldn't care too much, I only played about 10 innings at first base this year–all after pitching in multiple games in a week.

Odd thing is, the DCT is the only Rawlings pattern I ever jived with. I had a PP PROS200 that was probably the best leather I've felt on a glove, both shell and liner, but couldn't get the pattern to work for me. I've experimented with NP4 and NP5 and couldn't get down with that pattern either.

The All-Star will be passed on to my team once my SBF DCT arrives. September is almost over, hopefully that will be coming soon. There's nothing like watching playoff baseball breaking in a new piece of leather.

Last edited:

Wally Gator

Starting Player
1. Any grey on the glove. Some nice custom gloves were recently put up for sale, but the seller used grey for the binding, couldn't do it.
2. The all mesh option. The mesh back actually looks nice to me, but the full mesh needs more leather.
3. People that send their gloves to someone else to break it in. Isn't this one of the signs of the apocalypse? I enjoy the process of working leather to fit my hand. It's also therapeutic - gets me through the winter off-season.
4. Horween Louisville Slugger gloves with all that tacky stamping covering almost the entire palm surface. I'd rather they went the Omar route and leave the palm blank.
5. Dual welting on a Rawlings glove. Looks oddly out of place.
6. Members who post "The Lounge" material in the "Fielding Glove Discussion" forum. Take your middle school playground mindset to The Lounge and post to your heart's content. Time to get the trash out of this sacred forum of knowledge and escapism. I'm a retired middle school teacher and some of the recent posts take me back to the job I no longer want to be at.

Last edited:

Soxfan8

Starting Player
1. Any grey on the glove. Some nice custom gloves were recently put up for sale, but the seller used grey for the binding, couldn't do it.
2. The all mesh option. The mesh back actually looks nice to me, but the full mesh needs more leather.
3. People that send their gloves to someone else to break it in. Isn't this one of the signs of the apocalypse? I enjoy the process of working leather to fit my hand. It's also therapeutic - gets me through the winter off-season.
4. Horween Louisville Slugger gloves with all that tacky stamping covering almost the entire palm surface. I'd rather they went the Omar route and leave the palm blank.
5. Members who post "The Lounge" material in the "Fielding Glove Discussion" forum. Take your middle school playground mindset to The Lounge and post to your heart's content. Time to get the trash out of this sacred forum of knowledge and escapism. I'm a retired middle school teacher and some of the recent posts take me back to the job I no longer want to be at.

Seems pretty rational.

The 1799 pattern - it just doesn't work for me.

Late to this thread and I'm probably a minority on this but I don't like hand sewn welting. I think it looks weird and would possibly be a liability to frey and tear in the long haul. Yes, I know it's supposed to make it more comfortable and it could be restitched but I really wish it wasn't so popular. I would have thrown in on the timber DCT in a second if it was regular. Plus DCTs don't even have welting there to begin with.

Wally Gator

Starting Player
Late to this thread and I'm probably a minority on this but I don't like hand sewn welting. I think it looks weird and would possibly be a liability to frey and tear in the long haul. Yes, I know it's supposed to make it more comfortable and it could be restitched but I really wish it wasn't so popular. I would have thrown in on the timber DCT in a second if it was regular. Plus DCTs don't even have welting there to begin with.
Agreed, I look at HSW as ornamental. It's nice to look at on some gloves (SBF 207), but as with anything, overexposure kills the coolness. Different colored thread, like red, makes it even worse. A few years ago I probably would've dug it more, but as I get older, I appreciate the classic colorways more.

Last edited:

MaverickAH

HSW is ornamental! It's purely cosmetic. If you look closely, you will see that the seams have real stitching holding them together under the HSW. HSW has absolutely nothing to do with a glove's performance or durability. Of course it will start to look funky if it starts to fray or wear away.......

It's never been a deal breaker for me but it's a perfect example of an irrational preference!

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
HSW is ornamental! It's purely cosmetic. If you look closely, you will see that the seams have real stitching holding them together under the HSW. HSW has absolutely nothing to do with a glove's performance or durability. Of course it will start to look funky if it starts to fray or wear away.......

It's never been a deal breaker for me but it's a perfect example of an irrational preference!

I disagree. HSW does move a possibly irritating internal welt to the outside. This is noticable especially if you go TIP. There is a difference in feel.
If it starts to fray or wear, just resew it!

blov10

Nortadakota
Funny, I hate when people flare their gloves like this ) (
I think if you want to get your glove wide you can do it at the center of the glove, a bowl shape keeps the ball from hitting off the tips and getting away. A flare feels like it won't trap a ball hit off the tips. Just my opinion.
+1...Flaring is U_G_L_Y and honestly, how can it "help" a ball into your glove?

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Great thread idea !!

Things I hate:

1.) soft inserts

2.) mid finger lace Make for a better glove, especially as the glove gets older

3.) 6 finger trapeze webs If you don't use one don't out them down , one of the best pattens ever made

4.) Velcro straps. Agreed but to each his own

5.) lefty gloves in the middle of the infield. Get the mother F to the outfield where you belong.
Agreed

Now if we can just convert you to six finger traps, lol

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
12.5" tops, tight handstall, tight fingerstalls, thick FLUFFY leather

Alot of gloves are tight in the hand stall to start w, maybe except Wilsons, Mr Wilson musta had big hands, LOL.
What the hell is fluffy leather?

Imago Dei

Nihil Sine Deo
Boring gloves that show little to no uniqueness. Not saying they have to have every color of the rainbow.

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
Things I Hate:
  1. I'm a graphic/industrial designer, so if a glove maker has a badly designed patch/logo, I will never buy their glove.
  2. The newer Rawlings 2001+ because of they got rid of the "Round R" logo (and changed the rectangle patch) (Ok, I really seem to hat the new Rawlings Logo)
  3. Velcro on a glove.
  4. I hate H-webs. I can’t explain, other that I think they are boring. Utilitarian, yes. Just boring.

Things I Dislike:

1 I dislike two-toned (or more) gloves (with the exception of Black and Tan….Black and Tan
MotherF**ker!)
2 Rolled Welting.
3. Vinci Gloves. (Poor quality/craftsmanship)
4. Palm Padding (Learn to catch correctly)
5. Excessively LONG laces

MNCFer

Mr. Glass
Hate: Traps, uncomfortable hand stalls...including any felt or other synthetic material that touches my skin, gloves with large palms and short fingers, anything that measures outside of 12 3/8-12 1/2”, white gloves/lace, clown colored variations like the Wilson CL22 blue/red.

Love: Yellow/Vegas gold stitch, H webs, pittards, camel/black and most combinations thereof, split welt, Pro Preferred leather, the SP125.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Hate: Traps, uncomfortable hand stalls...including any felt or other synthetic material that touches my skin, gloves with large palms and short fingers, anything that measures outside of 12 3/8-12 1/2”, white gloves/lace, clown colored variations like the Wilson CL22 blue/red.

Love: Yellow/Vegas gold stitch, H webs, pittards, camel/black and most combinations thereof, split welt, Pro Preferred leather, the SP125.
Was never a trap guy either, never owned one before, in fact I bought my Pro12TC from Morton's only because it was the very last horween 12TC they had according to them. If you ever had a simple round of catch with it....I'm not saying you'd love it, but I don't think you'd hate it either?

Reactions: NYC

fredderf

MiZUNo & HORWeeN LoVER
Good Call on "Vegas gold stitch"

F

moren025

Addicted to Softballfans
The use of metallic laminated leather for webs, binding, welting and laces to name just a few areas. Also, the use of geometric, animal print or carbon fiber embossed leathers.
Just do not like them. What’s next, some shoe material on a glo...