Is a walk a dead ball?

r8dr_rider

Playing a 2 pitch tourney. I’m the only runner on base at 2B. Two outs and batter only has one pitch left. On release I take off running and almost at 3B by the time the batter hits and it’s a grounder to OF and I make it home.

Teammate then tells me lucky the batter didn’t walk. Because they could’ve thrown the ball to 2B and forced me out. I always thought a walk was a dead ball. So if batter would’ve walked I would just have to go back to 2B

who’s correct?

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
USA Softball cited here

Sounds like you are playing slow pitch with stealing. If the ball hits the ground before reaching home plate (or the batter), then it's a dead ball and nobody advances unless forced. If that is the case, you'd be put back on second. If the ball crosses the plate area for ball four, it's live, batter-runner can only advance to first base unless a play is made on another runner and the other runners are able to advance at their own risk (8.1.C.2)

HOWEVER, if playing USA rules with no local tournament modifications, you should have been declared out when you left first base prior to the ball reaching home plate (8.7.R).

blakcherry329

Wouldn't that change if you aren't forced to the next base by the walk? I would think that if you aren't forced to the next base, you could still be thrown out. I'm not an ump, so just thinking logically, so I could be totally wrong
Lots of leagues don't have stealing but have the force out rule if you're caught napping on the bases. Not sure of the associations, however.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
A walk entitles any forced runners to advance to the next base without liability to be put out. Umpires who call someone out because they weren't moving fast enough are doing everyone a disservice.

Now, in SP (without stealing) - a walk is a dead ball, so nobody can advance unless forced. If you try to advance and are not forced, you should be put back on the proper base. There is no rule for calling you out there. Even if you refused to go back to your base when instructed, the actual remedy would be an ejection and your substitute takes his place on the proper base.

Let's not make a slow pitch base on balls more complicated than it has to be.

r8dr_rider

I’m more confused now lol. We are allowed to lead off once pitch is released. But if it’s a ball or strike we can be picked off. I just figured if it’s a walk it’s a dead ball and can’t be picked off.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
You should probably ask the umpires or tournament director the situation since you are playing under some mixed up rule set. The only place I have seen lead off on the pitch release is fast pitch but I also only ever call USA rules in slow pitch so I’ve. It encountered your situation.

either way, the whole “can be forced out on a walk” sounds like MSU rules.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
None of us are going to be able to help you. This is going to be entirely up to what the league rules say. I've never seen a slowpitch ruleset where you can take off on release. Every one I am aware of requires the runner to hold the bag until either the ball is hit or it reaches the plate.

r8dr_rider

Thx anyway gents. I play in So Cal ASA/USA leagues and Big League Dreams. Have always played with lead off on release co Ed or men’s league. I guess I’ll just ask the blue next time

blakcherry329

I've played in many leagues where you can be thrown out at any base if you lead too far and the ball beats you back. Mostly modified, but some slow pitch, also. Not sure if they were outlaw leagues or not. Just saying those leagues exist. So, in those leagues, you may be able to get picked off if you aren't forced to the next base.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
I've played in many leagues where you can be thrown out at any base if you lead too far and the ball beats you back. Mostly modified, but some slow pitch, also. Not sure if they were outlaw leagues or not. Just saying those leagues exist. So, in those leagues, you may be able to get picked off if you aren't forced to the next base.

Certainly, if you are off the base in a live ball and not advancing without liability to be put out (i.e. a forced runner on a walk) then you can be tagged for an out. That's every code, every level, etc.

In general, in slow pitch without stealing, you don't have that situation - especially on a walk. Modified and FP surely have that as well as SP with stealing.